Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: New isle of wight ferry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: New isle of wight ferry

We bought second hand ones from Italy many years ago for the run from Melbourne to Tasmania.

It is sad that a once great ship building nation such as UK has to go to other countries for it's ships now.
    Is there no way they can still be built in UK?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

it is rumoured that Red Funnel , the Southampton / Cowes route have a order
    in with Camel Laird
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that is the freighter ferry Rob, due to come on the run shortly. carries HGV s only, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I see John Sabourne is back on board now, so maybe he could improve my knowledge on the question of anyone aboard the towed vessel, especially in this case as it seems they will be at sea approx 17 days, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

they will be alright with the sandwiches in the buffet then Keith , that is fresh still
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I towed a large barge loaded from the Moray Firth to Gothenburg. Single towing vessel on an unmanned tow. Started off with sidelights on the tow which were supposedly activated by daylight / darkness. Lasted one day. Had to in any case put out Securitay messages every 15 minutes or so to warn other ships in the area on the VHF. Of the circumstances. Got a bit annoyed with the oil company who assured me that on arrival Gothenburg that harbour tugs would take over and put her alongside. Another whopper on arrival the pilot informed me that no tugs available . I said fine be my guest you put her where you want her, no no he said Ihave no knowledge of tug handling I nearly said Snap. However shortened the tow and put myself alongside the barge which was 3times our length putting the mate on board who took our mooring lines and made us fast. Then manouvering the tug as to put myself alongside the jetty using the barge as a fender. To make it more awkward the bow of the barge had to be right up hard against a lock gate which the mate had to shout back distances off to me from the bow of the barge, good job he had a loud voice and good at estimating feet and inches. It was the same time as the Chernaburg (spelt wrong ) nuclear disaster. Was expected to bring another barge back to Scotland but due to the uncertainty of the fall out direction ship was brought back to Aberdeen minus the tow. Pleased about that one. Towing of Unmanned vessels is quite usual. Towing of unmanned rigs is not as vessel has to have a crew to reposition on site. There was one incident I have faint recollections of one case of a rig being towed unmanned going to the knackers yard which went aground off the NW coast of Scotland. If someone had been on board they would have been able to drop an anchor and maybe finished up in different circumstances. Insurance costs I would imagine also will have a big part to play in the costing exercise of such. As usual including safety issues always depends on the magic word Money. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 20th July 2018 at 10:33 AM.

8. Thanks Keith Tindell, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Chris Allman, john walker liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I suppose in this day and age, regarding showing light on towed vessel, they maybe operated remotely in some way, etc. Lets hope all valves etc are turned off, and she does not show a leak !!!, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The bean counters will have been in there Keith no doubt. And the cheapest most efficient and safest way of doing will have been proposed with the emphasis on the the cheapest. Although thinking about it and it being a new vessel , the hull cost alone must be exceptionally of high value and one way of getting insurance costing down maybe putting a skeleton crew on board. Maybe penny wise pound foolish should be looked at under different circumstances in this case. Cheers JWS.

11. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default towed vessels navigation lights .I worked as a Surveyor in the Offshorfor many years and it

[QUOTE=Keith Tindell;311565]Surely the towed vessel has to show lights ?, and would that not require some one on board ?, also for any problem occurring at sea. I find it interesting subject,as John A says, maybe John Sabourne will enlighten us all , kt[/QUOTr

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: towed vessels navigation lights .I worked as a Surveyor in the Offshorfor many years and it

Hi Trevor, whats your answer to my quote, only seem to have part of your posting??, kt
    R689823

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast