Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Navy speak

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Red face Navy speak

Hi Everybody ( Navy Speak )

Any of you still using it without thinking ?
    I'm still using some for example

"Dhobying" it took a couple of years for my wife to suss what I was talking about.

"Drydock" = Hospital.

There must be some others

Kind regards
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Navy speak

When in the food industry I employed 12 engineers 6 of them where x chief Petty Officer tiffs or weapons the one thing I could never ever get to the bottom of was when hearing on chain blocks or moving things with large bars it was always 2 / 6 where I have been used to an entirely different system when I asked where the two six nomenclature came from everybody said the Navy but nobody knew why how or where
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham, I am sick of telling my gang stop leaving lights on threw the day you get logged at sea for that,
    If you burn yourself in the sun its a logging offence,
    Shouting the long haired one are you in the galley,
    In bad weather shut the bloody door where shipping them green in here,
    If i take a bath i always dhobi my skiddies in the water and hang them on the radiator,
    My 18 yr old grandson takes a shower in our place regular, NAN !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHERE IS THE SHAMPOO, Bar of buttermilk for all at sea.
    Many more i am sure they look at me as if i am off a different planet
    {terry scouse}

Lewis McColl Guest

Swinging the lead, sometimes my lad would when he was at school would try and throw a sickie. My wife did a few trips with me over the years she still on occasion will shout out the window if I am out in the garden, Smoko!! also do you want any Tab Nabs.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 15th July 2018 at 07:29 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well it's pretty obvious where the term engineer greaser mate able Seaman come from I've always wondered where the term Purser came from
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

remember having a great run ashore, and being *two blocks* in bed in the hotel. Still use tab nabs as a regular saying, even Mrs talks of dhobi day. kt
    R689823

7. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A few more ---- Tiffin or tea and tabnabs, Smoko, Three sheets to the wind ( slightly intoxicated ) Between a rock and a hard place ( In trouble or difficulty ).
    I will probably wake up in the middle of the night having remembered a few more, cheers Peter in NZ.

9. Likes N/A, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Naval Expressions in Everyday Use

Many expressions we regularly use today, on dry land, originate from life on board ship in Nelson's day.

Take the expression*long shot*meaning attempting something with little chance of success. This originated from firing a cannon beyond its normal range.

What about*at loggerheads? Loggerheads were hollow spheres of iron at each end of a shaft. They were heated and used to melt tar in a bucket. The expression arose because the two loggerheads can never come together.

Swinging the lead*relates to a sailor dropping a lead weight on a line over the side of the ship in order to measure the sea depth. Sailors found this to be a handy method of avoiding real work

On a more culinary note,*chew the fat*relates to the need for heavy mastication in order to break down the tough rind of beef that was stored in a barrel of brine for months on end.

Piping hot*originates from the fact that if food were collected from the galley as soon as the appropriate 'pipe' sounded then would it would still be hot when served.Toe the line, meaning to conform to rules and authority, originates from a time when a ship's company were mustered for victualling or pay. Each sailor stepped forward to a line marked on the deck and gave his name and duties.

Pig's Ear,*a term for something messy, refers to an upper deck urinal used by sailors when on watch. Incidentally, Jack's expressions for a call of nature, all of which allude to experiences at sea, include, syphon the python, pumping the ship, ease springs, check the ship for leaks and springing a leak.

The expression*all above board*refers to things on the top deck of the ship and therefore open to inspection.

True colours*relate to Naval etiquette which, while allowing false colours or flags to be displayed when approaching an enemy ship, insists that true colours are flown once battle begins and fire is exchanged.

Copper bottomed, something worthwhile, as in a 'copper-bottomed guarantee, refers to copper plates which were fixed to wooden ships hulls to minimise worm attack and prevent the build-up of barnacles and weeds.
    Last edited by robpage; 16th July 2018 at 05:29 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Well it's pretty obvious where the term engineer greaser mate able Seaman come from I've always wondered where the term Purser came from
    Well on UCL there were plenty with hand bags, maybe the purse was in one?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Likes robpage, Graham Payne, dave moore liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Rob “Purser” comes from the old RN, the name for a Paymaster and Supplies Officer, and is still used by today’s Merchant Navy, constant use which became in daily usage to “Pusser”. This word was a noun, verb or adjective depending on the shade of meaning required. The “Pusser” is still a ship or establishment’s Supply Officer. Whereas a “Pusser” is any Officer of the Supply and Sectetarial Branch. Any thing of official origin was and still is a “pussers” item or “pussers issue”

14. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast