Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Never seen this done before

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Never seen this done before

Anyone ever get shipped home D.B.S. For whatever reason, I know the survivors of the Harmatten well documented on this site where flown home out of Karachi after there ship was destroyed after being hit by a missile from an Indian gunboat, But i also remember one guy being sent home aboard a ship i was in. Share your tales with us Terry.
    {terry scouse}

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Never seen this done before

Twice on clan line ships carried DBS both engineers one was out of hospital in Cape Town where he has been taken in for an urgent op and the ship sailed on , who was the 3rd engineer off a tanker and once on a Clan Line run brought back at engineer who had paid off of a foreign flag ship in Mombasa . Both had no money and were shipped back DBS . Always thought it's strange they would put them on the cargo ship rather than on a union castle mail ship which would have been home about five days quicker
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Rob, some Clan's could match the intermediates for speed and surpass them. Clan R's 17.5 knots.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yep sent back DBS on the Port Burnie so only once was DBS and the other time I jumped I resumed duties on the same ship as it was still on the coast. Missed the Newcastle Star in Port Adelaide on the Easter week end so both Frank and myself reported to the agent on the Tues morning. Told to go to the pub and he would get in touch with us. Well to cut to the chase. Ended up doing having to serve time until the ship was ready to leave Sydney. Frank still skinned out but I remained and still got two VG's in my book as think the old man realised that he had over reacted with us. The other time was on the Port Macquarie in Lyttleton where there where five of us ended up in Addington prison for five weeks then Mount Eden in Auckland for about two weeks before being put back on board the Port Macquaries which is the one I jumped in Sydney after doing the states between which about paid for all my loggings. It was from this that I ended up coming home DBS on the Burnie and when I reported to the pool was told that no action was being taken against anyone that jumped the Macquarie as the unions world wide had been in touch with them concerning the conditions that was on board her.
    Last edited by Les Woodard; 15th July 2018 at 03:24 AM.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was also sent back to Cape Town on the Athlone Castle as DBS as a result of me having an illness ,in fact although it was DBS I was actually put on a Passenger Cabin all the way,and was Eating with the passengers as well,that was as I later learnt a very rare thing to happen/
    On arrival at Cape Town that was my Final Voyage and shortly later then went back to the UK and joined the RAF . Rest of story is on site somewhere ie The jobs I had after.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    HI Rob, some Clan's could match the intermediates for speed and surpass them. Clan R's 17.5 knots.
    Vic
    Company men returning home seemed to get a ride home on a mail boat , the other DBS seemed to take pot luck . a lot of the Clan Line fleet were quite quick , when you got a King Line ship you learned what slow meant
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had an engineer jump ship in, of all places, kharg island. He was put on a B.P. tanker that took our place when we had completed loading and sailed. I had joined the ship by launch inward bound , gone straight on watch, done cargo watch and it was only after we sailed and things had settled down did I discover that the person I had seen on the dock with two carrier bags, was in fact the 3rd. Engineer, who I had never met a new never did.
    Rgds
    J.A.

11. Thanks Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 1959-60 i was on a South American Saint line ship, and in BA we picked up a guy, that as i recall had never been to sea before, he was a bit of a mystery man in that he was British with a British passport, had lived in Argentina for many years and spoke perfect Spanish, he worked back on deck, could not take a watch orr go aloft and left the ship in London. I learned some years later that he regularly sailed out of Liverpool, i think on the back of working his passage from BA to London. I forget his name, but wonder often if anyone ever sailed with him on here, he was portly and quite swarthy, kt
    R689823

13. Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    In 1959-60 i was on a South American Saint line ship, and in BA we picked up a guy, that as i recall had never been to sea before, he was a bit of a mystery man in that he was British with a British passport, had lived in Argentina for many years and spoke perfect Spanish, he worked back on deck, could not take a watch orr go aloft and left the ship in London. I learned some years later that he regularly sailed out of Liverpool, i think on the back of working his passage from BA to London. I forget his name, but wonder often if anyone ever sailed with him on here, he was portly and quite swarthy, kt
    As you know there was a lot of intrigue going on in Argentina in those years Keith.Spy comes to mind,but not perhaps if he had to work his passage on deck. The term 'company spy' comes to mind though.as I feel pretty sure I heard that a certain deck crew member was employed by a company to do various short passages and then report back to the Company on all crew members, both officers and crew on what they were all doing.Might have been Blue Star but not sure. Is that far fetched do you think?
    Graham

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be Graham, i went ashore with him in BA, quite useful because he was fluent in Spanish, and we always seemed to get upmarket steaks when he ordered. I have posted before, but as you say in those years Ba a secretive place. The St Merriel that i was on, also had a mainly German deck crew, and one in particular, named Dieter, had one ear missing, and was in his 20s. he used to not mix with the others, and went ashore on his own, but did not frequent the normal hot spots, so who knows??,always felt there was something sinister with him, interesting times at sea in those days, kt
    R689823

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Shaw, Graham Payne liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast