Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Watchkeeping

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Watchkeeping

They were the old cork ones Terry that broke your neck. When taking sea survival and helicopter evacuation course's you had to walk off a high diving board wearing a life jacket.
    The instruction was to cross your arms , hold your nose with one hand and pull down on the front of the jacket with the other.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the fly View Post
    They were the old cork ones Terry that broke your neck. When taking sea survival and helicopter evacuation course's you had to walk off a high diving board wearing a life jacket.
    The instruction was to cross your arms , hold your nose with one hand and pull down on the front of the jacket with the other.
    That,s exactly what i was referring to Lou, They where aboard most of my ships on top of the locker Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I hate that part of the course with vengeance! I hate being in the water as it is and always end up with water up my nose and choking.

SDG

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's strange how things changed in later years at sea. At one time when you had reached the great heights of AB that was it , you could go anywhere , on any ship. Then someone thought we should all have to take various course's , none of them made you a better seaman than what you were before. There is a lot of money to be made in health and safety.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    That,s exactly what i was referring to Lou, They where aboard most of my ships on top of the locker Terry.
    Th eons in use now on cruise ships are the old fashioned cork ones, nothing has changed.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It's strange how things changed in later years at sea. At one time when you had reached the great heights of AB that was it , you could go anywhere , on any ship. Then someone thought we should all have to take various course's , none of them made you a better seaman than what you were before. There is a lot of money to be made in health and safety.
    Lou, Did you ever do the fire fighting course on the old bank fire station in speke, What is now John Lennon air port. Or any other scousers remember it Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have done the fire fighting course but it was in Hull.

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes I did mine there and also a refresher at Hull as well

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Last fire fighting course I did was at a retirement lodge here in Melbourne.

But a funny but somewhat sad story.

At the community health center where I volunteer there are a bout 20 fire extinguishers in various parts o the building, twice a year the fire brigade comes in to check them.
    Couple of years ago the deputy manager removed them all telling staff we are into evacuation not fire fighting.

She was threatened by the fire chief of prosecution if they were not replaced as soon as.

19 of them were back the next day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Likes Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Last fire fighting course I did was at a retirement lodge here in Melbourne.

But a funny but somewhat sad story.

At the community health center where I volunteer there are a bout 20 fire extinguishers in various parts o the building, twice a year the fire brigade comes in to check them.
    Couple of years ago the deputy manager removed them all telling staff we are into evacuation not fire fighting.

She was threatened by the fire chief of prosecution if they were not replaced as soon as.

19 of them were back the next day.
    I have been having a battle with our apartment complex managers and the local fire marshal over the hose reels here since last October.

After a small oven fire (caused by their stove having a faulty thermostat), I checked on the hose reel outside of our door - I couldn't open the gate valve. Out of a random 12 I tried around the comple only 2 would move.

Even though they were serviced a month into the issue they still didn't work. The company that serviced them, the building managers, and the fire department deny there is a problem and even threatened me with fines for 'tampering with fire equipment under CA civil code'! One fire marshal said that no one would know how to use them anyway! I pointed out that both myself and wife were trained to international STCW 95 standards and were more than capable and willing to use them. He made his excuses and left.

Fortunately we are moving in a couple of weeks but if there is ever a fire here I will be the first to send my emails and letters to the enquiry.

SDG

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast