Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Titanic- The Real Truth.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Titanic- The Real Truth.

Click on to the html to find out why she sank so quickly.

https://youtu.be/OfhpywsXiq0

Fouro.

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes robpage, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Titanic- The Real Truth.

Another Titanic theory. They are blaming the fire in the bunker for damaging the hull plates and reducing their strength. This can now be added to the faulty steel theory that it was too brittle for the ice cold waters - or the theory that the rivets were made of the wrong metal and weakened the hull, both based on cost cutting exercises. Then of course the famous theory that the wreck is really the Olympic as she was badly damaged by her collision with HMS Hawke, and as the Insurers were not going to pay out, they swapped the two ships and deliberately rammed the iceberg, with the Californian supposed to be the rescue ship. I have no doubt there will be other theories, which will no doubt surface which is more than the Titanic can. As far as I can see the official answer, she side swiped the iceberg springing the plates and flooding too many compartments for her to survive, is good enough for me. The facts are, she sank, 1,513 lives were lost, nothing can now change that but people are still making loads of money out of these so called theories, very sad really, making money out of the tragic deaths of men women and children, trapped and drowned by a sinking ship. How about the theory of going too fast in iceberg waters, that's more to the point.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 6th May 2018 at 07:05 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I agree with Chris, there would be a lot of prestige value in having not only the largest passenger ship in the world but also the fastest. I figure the captain would have been under a lot of pressure from the Company to do what he did, the more the sadder. Regards Peter in NZ, 82 years young today !!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you and a very Happy Birthday to you Peter, many of them.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

6. Thanks Peter F Chard thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Titanic commemoration service

Date: 15 Apr 2018
    Time: 12 noon
    Venue: Belfast City Hall

Sunday 15 April 2018 will mark 106 years since the sinking of RMS Titanic.

Titanic was one of the world's greatest maritime achievements and one which the people of Belfast are very proud of. We will be co-hosting a small service of remembrance, along with the Belfast Titanic Society, at the Memorial Garden in City Hall to reflect on the lives that were lost.

Titanic commemoration service - Belfast City Council

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had the Titanic "not" struck the iceberg, and considering the weakness to the hull structure and rivets created by the lingering fire in the coalbunker area, it is my opinion it would only have been a matter of time before the rivets holding the warped lower grade metal plates together in that particular area of the hull "gave way".

Many happy returns on your 82nd birthday Peter.
    I was 83 years young two months ago.

Fouro.

9. Thanks Peter F Chard, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I visited the Titanic exhibition here in Melbourne some years ago and wrote a long piece for the site about it.

In the exhibition a piece of one side of the bow, clearly marked the iron, not steel, rivets that were used.

No doubt the cold water and hitting the burg caused the rivets to crack and split.

any other conspiracy theories are just that.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The 'real' truth may never be known, even most of the official enquiry was conjecture and based on eye witness accounts by 'non-professionals' and the experts at the enquiry (mostly naval without any idea how commercial entities work) were trying to out do each other on theories and assured themselves individually that they had put forward the correct apportionment of blame, akin to lawyers who have no interest in the truth but whose only interest is to prove to themselves and their audience that they are better than the other lawyer. Those of use who have attended an enquiry are usually shocked at the complete disregard for the facts or observations of those actually on scene, because by the time the inquiry is convened thousands of pages of irrelevant assumptions have flowed to and fro twixt various solicitors for opposing parties who may or may not have financial gains from the results, the only winners are the lawyers whether they win or lose the case.

Speaking from personal experience I was told that a 'fact' I had witnessed was irrelevant, how can you disregard something that had happened

Like most tragedies in life it is effects of such tragedies that lead to improvements for those that follow in a profession or trade or life in general, and thus it has ever been and may continue to be.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 I may be wrong John but have always assumed that it is usual for the plate itself to crack around the area of the rivet hole. I was brought up where riveted ships were still discussed in ship construction and the only remedy that the ship could do to affect temporary repairs, was to drill a hole at the end of the crack to hopefully stop the crack spreading. If I had to do such would also put a cement box round as well which I did so on an old wartime built ship through the shell in the double bottoms. The ship itself later reached the Taiwan knackers yard so must have held ok. Cheers JWS

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too have experienced people in Authority, never been to sea, in a Court of Inquiry, My evidence.... "was not quite right"

on the last world cruise on the QE2, in 2008, on the 96th anniversary of the sinking of the TITANIC, we stopped right over the top of the TITANIC, Had a Service, and people cast wreaths into the sea. an American Coast Guard plane flew over, and dropped some wreathes, the Nearest Ice Berg was 25 miles away. It was cold and drizzly.
    A good experience to be there.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY PETER.

Cheers
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 7th May 2018 at 10:36 AM.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast