Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: One for engineers

Lewis McColl Guest

Default One for engineers

https://www.facebook.com/ship.engine...2203734136130/, trip down memory lane. But not to many here will have been down a lane as modern as this one , enjoy. Even this is old hat now, also the state of the prop shaft, rusty, never in my day, Copra mat soaked in Diesel and moved up and down kept it looking good.
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 22nd April 2018 at 11:14 PM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One for engineers

Thank you for that Lewis, brought back memories even for us deckies who made the occasional foray down the engineroom to ask for 'water on deck' for the daily washdown, even in the bluddy rain.

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Lewis, my memories was of a six cylinder opposed piston Doxford with control point on the bottom plates, no computers. As a Cadet I got sent down for an engine movement book during maneuvers, I was on the middles when there was a misfire in one of the cylinders. A massive big bang nearly had to change my shreddies - everybody thought it hugely funny - I did not - all those on deck saw a perfect smoke ring come out of the funnel.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They forgot to test the engine astern. The small1992 Danish built 5000 ton chemical tankers I was on the M.A.K. main engine started by entering a code into the computer in the control room, this started all the cooling, lube oil pumps etc. In the correct sequence before firing up the main engine. She had 3 Volvo powered generator sets, that would automatically come on the board as and when the load increased in port when the electric deepwell cargo pumps were in operation. At sea we only ran on the shaft generator which could also be used as a propulsion motor in the event of main engine failure and could give us 10 knots fully laden. Never had to get permission to immobilise in port as we could use the shaft generator as a means of propulsion. Often tested it in port to shift between berths and confuse pilots who when asked if we were ready to go would be confused by the lack of noise and vibration usually associated with the main engine.
    Doing engine room time as a cadet on my first ship, a 66000 ton crude oil tanker, sulzer main engine and a huge steam plant for the steam turbine driven cargo pumps and cargo heating, spent the whole month cleaning and overhauling purifiers with the 4th. Engineer or on the steam plant overhauling steam valves and doing the engine room rough log book. Enjoyed it but not enough to change disciplines.
    Rgds.
    J.A.

Lewis McColl Guest

Ah Chris someone lifted a relief valve , a bit heavy on the air and also heavy on the fuel. On Bibby's Lincolnshire when leaving Kaohsuing we had a new Chief Engineer joined. He wanted to do the manoeuvring. He had not seen a Doxford for about 10 years. He was that heavy handed he blew a relief valve right off the engine. The idiot kept the engine running as he said we could not stop. The engine room was filling full of a white mist a substance that was sure as hell going to go bang. I phoned the bridge and asked the old man to ring stop as this idiot down below was going to kill the lot of us. Thankfully we still had tugs attached. As soon as I got off the phone I told the chief eng to get the f-ck off the sticks. The reason the valve blew off was the Filipino fitter had fitted a BSW threaded nut onto a metre threaded stud. If we had not stopped the engine we were in effect filling the engine room full of unignited fuel vapour. We had what was an open cylinder unit firing space and all in needed was a spark. That was diffo a squeaky bum moment. The chief was a nice lad but best place for him was behind his desk. A man very very fond of a Vodka or 3.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As you like Doxfords Chris

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...wJ4Lhn1eDJ5pnc

And I certainly wasn't it my best maneuvering those damn things two handles and a wheel far too complicated much preferred the B&W
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Thanks Chris Allman, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Red Lead Ted liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lew, I remember my one and only tanker the Achatina { Shell } General Purpose 1..2..3 Etc was coming into play, We signed on as Seaman not G,P, Articles although it was mentioned that if the Engine room Catering Etc... Found themselves you could be asked to assist if they where short handed, The wise amongst us new this but we also new at that time you could refuse the bosun came to us deck crowed one day and said the Engineer had requested help from the deck crowed to paint some machinery and bulk heads which meant painting stages being rigged, After refusing because there was a full compliment of engine room staff aboard the Mate come into the mess and asked us to think about our decision not that we where wrong to refuse but that you may not be asked back.......... Our appointed union convener stepped in Chief where was the Engine crowd when we changed cargo and had to work 30 minutes on and 15 minutes off tank diving ?????????. Where we not stretched no one offered or asked for help on our behalf. The Mate excepted our decision and no more requests come forward. Very different of course today as you know Articles signed are G.P. As far as being asked back my kit bag was packed weeks before we got the channels and payed off in Tilbury Regards Lew hope all the family are well Terry.
    {terry scouse}

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Here is a nice polished prop. shaft. Also a unit overhaul on LB Doxford, Those hoses bring back memorys.
    Colin.
    Attached Images Attached Images

14. Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

The LB Doxford, I sailed on two LB's ED's Perang and the Ebani? pretty sure she was an LB. It was not until I sailed on a B&W that I was aware that crankcase oil was not supposed to be the colour of Devon Cream. The Chevron packings on the lower piston cooling. Stop the engine when the sunk level was rising and the piston cooling tank was dropping. Lub oil pump off crankcase doors open , sou'wester on and in you go. Must have knocked years of our lives when you think about it.

16. Likes Colin McClelland liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The only time I ever sailed on a Doxford it was a p i u p type on a 1952 King line tramp ship . To be honest it ran like a little sewing machine except that the whole thing used to do somewhere like 10 knots on a good day . It always seems remarkably quiet for a diesel main engine though
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast