Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: One for engineers

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One for engineers

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    The only time I ever sailed on a Doxford it was a p i u p type on a 1952 King line tramp ship . To be honest it ran like a little sewing machine except that the whole thing used to do somewhere like 10 knots on a good day . It always seems remarkably quiet for a diesel main engine though
    Rob, I have seen photos of the Doxfords and one in reality in a NZ Maratine museum.
    They did not look that big, 6 cylinders, how big where they and did the ship only have one or were they in some form of bank?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Obviously sizes relative to output but if you go and asked many people are on this site they can remember the Doxford being a three cylinder just over 2000 horsepower main engine it would be probably about 18 x 18 x 6 wìde from memory but I'm sure people could give you a more accurate description if you look back on the thread I've actually put a short video of a Doxford running
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

4. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi All....many Doxford tragics here....was on the P's and J's with Bank Line ...lovely engine....the Js. Starting a Doxford was an art and often practiced in the ship's bar!!!

Auto syncronising of gennys!!!!.....Whats wrong with the Syncroscope and the warning don't try an put it in 180deg out of phase!!! Go back further to DC ships where putting power on deck with the breaker was a two hand job for a first trip junior. Give him 3 months and he can do it one handed whilst walking past!!!

6. Likes Jim Brady, Samuel Denton, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Rob, I have seen photos of the Doxfords and one in reality in a NZ Maratine museum.
    They did not look that big, 6 cylinders, how big where they and did the ship only have one or were they in some form of bank?
    I helped build the original prototype J type Doxford during my last year at South Shields college. Doxford donated it to the college (in bits). It was single cylinder, very quiet, no vibration (you could stand a coin on edge without it falling over.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2