Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: One for Confirmation

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: One for Confirmation

I was never prejudiced , would take anything on offer. Like the true Scotsman’s way of drinking an arf and an arf. The second arf if given the chance a low flier, ( grouse). Otherwise will try to comply with what mine hosts are having. Beggars cant be choosers. JWS

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    I was never prejudiced , would take anything on offer. Like the true Scotsman’s way of drinking an arf and an arf. The second arf if given the chance a low flier, ( grouse). Otherwise will try to comply with what mine hosts are having. Beggars cant be choosers. JWS
    I consider myself a true Scot, and I have never drunk or ordered a arf and a arf in my life, I enjoy my beer in the pub, at the moment my local stocks a real ale from Orkney that I enjoy Dark Island is its name, I enjoy my spirits at home, I enjoy a couple af Bacardi and Cokes on an evening, I do have a selection of a certain brand of malt that I keep for when I have company it’s called Highland Park again from Orkney. But each to their own.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bill must have been the people I mixed with led me astray. Cheers JWS.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many years ago I lived above a pub in Gourock, this was at the time when the pubs shut at 2:30 in the afternoon.
    The local businessmen would drink a hauf and a pony. The pony was small pewter tankard (estimate it held a mouthful of beer).
    Seen them drink a 40z bottle of groups in a session.
    Vic

7. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One of the pubs I had in Kent, we had one customer who only took single malt, would not touch anything else.

Bells was a popular Scotch at the time and most customers would ask for it by name.

On many an occasion he would attempt to convince them that it was only make believe Scotch.

He only had two fingers on one hand and some nasty burn wounds, flew for the RAF in WW2, maybe that had something to do with it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with a C/E who was ex RN would never have ice in his gin. I asked why he said he been stationed in Malta one time during the war and sad the water was bad, and of course the ice was as well. As laid up for a long time with the runs and forever blamed the ice and would never see in his glass. Asked him if ice was made of gin would he have any complaints and he said no that’s ok. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st April 2018 at 07:21 AM.

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I prefer ice , but bad local watr makes bad ice , also if in the glass already the level ofspirits is harder to gauge
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My wife worked in refrigeration for many years as a Service Manager she hated ice making machines with a vengeance, she said the were the worst things for producing germs, and would not use ice in any establishment, she very quickly learned to say Sin Heilo in Spanish, this caused a few problems with many bar staff when on holiday in Spain and the Canaries as usually three cubes of ice in a glass equalled a measure of spirits

Lewis McColl Guest

Modern Ice making machines have a UV light and this is supposed to take care of dodgy ice cubes.

To get back to engines and oil shutdown alarms. If you have a medium speed engine the likes of a Pelstick, it will not really matter how many low or low low shutdowns you have the sudden loss of oil pressure by the time the fuel is tripped (it is how the shutdown works)the crankshaft will more thank likely be wrecked by the time the engine comes to rest.
    The oil mist detector should be your first line of defence in protection if a mist is detected in the engine this should cause the engine to reduce RPM.

16. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the Ultra Violet light is not usual in UK commercial machines , the first line defence is usual anti microbial coating on wetted parts, they also have self cleaning cycles , filtration , usually carbon and micro filtration , it is at this point that you would fit U-V , you need to prevent viral , microbial ,and air borne spore forming contaminates , this prevents slime forming yeasts , U-V does not protect against the spore former , ultra filtration does , biggest problem is poor management of hygiene

On medium speed ferries up until at least the early 1990s there was only manned engine rooms and I never saw oil mist fitted in the engine room , but never sailed UMS , To slow the engine , the bridge could help breaking with the VP But they stop pretty quickly , where ferries are rock hopping in very busy shipping lanes and a 3 man engine room and 3 man bridge watch The wreck the crankshaft option is the old man's . When it happened to me the ship was taking a well used shortcut between Herm and Jehou off St Peter Port , that extra few seconds gave some options in a very tight seaway with 10 metre tide range , ebbing very quickly . We got away without damage , but in the circumstance was not my decision , automatic shut down for engine oil pressure and oil mist could have been a disaster ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

18. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast