Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Shore supply electrics

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shore supply electrics

I saw on the BBC news last evening, a discussion on various ports after Brexit. They were saying that in ports today, and i got the impression that they were in USA etc, that ships must shut down main engines while alongside and hook up to shore power ?, apparently the port of Southampton is not geared up for this yet, but i have no idea it this is common practice these days, but it sounded that this was going to be a definite practice, kt
    R689823

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shore supply electrics

KT
    This happens in a number of Californian ports due to their strict emissions regulations and is being talked about as being introduced in other USA ports and elsewhere worldwide. New international regulations coming into force in the next few years means that all ships at sea, with few exceptions,will be required to burn low sulphur fuel of 5% or less whilst at sea or if not to be fitted with exhaust gas scrubbers. This is to reduce the amount of air pollution worldwide from maritime shipping, hence the big rise in all types of new shipbuilding being powered by LNG.
    Rgds
    J.A.

4. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was common practice to go on shore power In drydock Keith through force of having no cooling water to run a generator. Although on some ships could bypass that by keeping the after peak in and circulating. Running and utilising that. What and why do they need to go on shore power for ??? JWS. Ps just seen JA reply so all is explained the reason for. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 30th March 2018 at 01:51 PM.

6. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Los Angles forces ships to shut down their own power plant and connect to shore side.
    They claim that it reduces CO2 emissions, can't see how as shore plant produces CO2.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think the practice has been in use for some years and was/is Cold Ironing, maybe Lewis has experienced it. Also magnetic mooring, no mooring lines required..................but what happens if there is a power failure and how does it affect the magnetic compass

9. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    I think the practice has been in use for some years and was/is Cold Ironing, maybe Lewis has experienced it. Also magnetic mooring, no mooring lines required..................but what happens if there is a power failure and how does it affect the magnetic compass
    Ivan, Not googling this as interesting as i find, But there must be a back up in place surly otherwise i am sure this practice would never exist Terry.
    {terry scouse}

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Terry, seems to be operational in Rotterdam.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Overnight in Weymouth particularly in winter there will be no watchkeepers so the ships were changed over the shore power so there was no need to run a generator and have a watch keeper on board
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    Ivan, Not googling this as interesting as i find, But there must be a back up in place surly otherwise i am sure this practice would never exist Terry.
    Haven't googled it Terry as I get my information from insurance reports, periodicals etc from UK, Netherlands and USA, some nautical content on Google seems to have been written by motor mechanics or similar

16. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8... All sounds very slap dash to me Rob. What about a fire watch. What about moorings. What about keeping un authorised people off the vessel. What about ship thieves. What about keeping the squatters off. Seems to me they have taken things too far in the first place as to manning and can’t resist going further and further into the realms of fantasy. As they sow , so shall they reap. As to having people around, if they knew and accepted the fact , in an emergency, there is only one thing and one thing alone that saves lives, and that is other people, nothing else. That’s it people. Why do you think there was so few saved at the Piper alpha disaster a lot that was never said was a lack of presence in the immediate vicinity. Now there might be a few who will mot reconize this fact , but after sitting for 30 years crying into their beer they know and like those cricketers crying on television will live with that until they die. Unfortuanetley we come once again into the realms of money , they bleat about safety being the riding factor If you look between the lines they don’t practice what they preach. It’s no good saying oh there’s fire alarms to call the fire brigade or police, by the time they arrive , the fight has been lost. Fire in most cases can be contained until professional help arrives, you don’t sit in an office ashore watching it blaze away on a tv monitor until that also vapourizes These people who come up with these stupid answers in theory, are not the workers of the world they are the ones wanting to increase profits. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st March 2018 at 01:32 AM.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 ... LastLast