Thread: Gorgon Gas Plant

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Gorgon Gas Plant

As there was recent. Discussion on the stowage and resources of LNG. The following is. western Australia’s addittion to this source also a brief history as to the search finding awaiting for the right opportune moment for the big money involvement ..... The Gorgon. Field off the Pilbarra Coast was discovered in 1980. About 10,000 workers were needed to build the. Sub sea infrastructure. The first cargo of LNG left Barrow Island in March 2016. More than 250 cargos have since been loaded since.
    Gorgon fact file....Discovered in 1980
    Approved in 2009.
    Gas reservoirs are up to 4000m below the sea bed.
    230,000 tons of equipment lie on the sea bed
    Plant on Barrow Island required more steel than 4 Sydney bridges
    Final cost 554 billion US dollars.
    Full capacity is 15.6 million tonnes of LNG a year
    Gas is cooled to minus 162 degrees centigrade
    Each LNG carrier holds enough energy to power 180,000 Japanese homes for a year
    The 250 th cargo left on March 25 2018
    This is a Chevron enterprise.
    This should have been in another post on the same subject but cant find
    But validates my saying that oil and gas company’s sit on wells for years until they become real money earners.
    JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th April 2018 at 04:15 AM.

2. Thanks happy daze john in oz, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Gorgon Gas Plant

Very true John, there arte many oil wells and gas deposits held by the various companies just waiting for the price to go up.

here in Victoria we have some of the biggest gas reserves underground that can be found anywhere in the country.
    But our premier says they will not be touched before 2022 at the earliest.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    As there was recent. Discussion on the stowage and resources of LNG. The following is.

This should have been in another post on the same subject but cant find
    But validates my saying that oil and gas company’s sit on wells for years until they become real money earners.
    JWS
    In my current job we actively chase work on LNG projects. These projects are so huge they are in planning for 3 - 5years before anything happens. I was in Perth at an Oil n Gas exhibition in about 2012, talking to a guy from Chevron environmental dept, who told me they were spending over a million dollars on very strict conditions laid down by the government e.g. lighting had to be odf a certain frequency so it didnt attract birds / wildlife etc. Pipes painted certain colours, and a reserve colony of turtles developed on another island in case any of the local turtles got damaged etc. etc.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th June 2018 at 09:28 PM.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Latest news here in Oz on gas.
    One company who supplies gas to much of the country also exports it to China.

The current contract was signed in 2015, fine, but as a result of this we now have something of a shortage of supply.
    So the company in its infinite wisdom is importing gas from Saudi Arabia????????????????????????????????
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Woodside & Chevron seem to be at odds about how to proceed with projects.
    * Woodside wants to build quickly as looks to start new field
    * Chevron wants to spend more time planning infrastructure system.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/focus...040743480.html

I used to load LNG at Woodsides plant in Karratha. We were alongside the jetty getting ready to load. Before you start loading the pipes lines from the plant to the loading arm and also ships lines have to be cooled down. Once your ships lines are at -135 degrees C loading at a reduce rate can commence. Shall we say there was an incident on the other berth which was down due to Planned maintenance work. But someone somewhere in their operations room was supposed to supply our ship with LNG slowly to cool the lines down. They opened a wrong valve to the wrong jetty and the result was a massive gas cloud enveloped the whole area even as far away as Karratha town itself. How the hell there was not a massive explosion with a resulting fireball was nothing short of a miracle. I can honestly say someone somewhere was looking after Mrs McColl's youngest son. To give you and idea has to how bad that leakage was it was estimated that over 200 tons of liquid LNG was sent down the wrong pipeline to the wrong jetty fracturing the pipe as it went for a distance I believe was almost a kilometer. Liquid LNG has an expansion rate of 600 to 1 so you had a gas cloud over the LNG terminal and Karratha town of somewhere in the region of 120,000 cubic metres. If that had of ignited there would have been a lot of people badly burnt. This happened I think it was 2010/2011. It was all hushed up and all that appeared in the LNG media was that there had been a small incident due to equipment malfunction at the Woodside plant. I never really felt comfortable loading there as they were always pushing to get the ship loaded ASAP soon more than one occasion they will try and push the ship to accept a faster cooldown rate so they can commence loading. Even the loading rate is supposed to managed until your cargo tanks are cold enough so as you do not generate to much vapour. Yes the ship is supposed to arrive in cold and ready to load condition which is @ -135 c but if you load to fast the vapour you generate is such that cargo tank pressures are difficult to control. There are only three options then. (1) slowdown the loading rate, (2) send the vapour being generated back ashore via the vapour return line (then shore side complain you are sending to much vapour ashore, they used to flare a lot of it but under current legislation they can only flare in an emergency)(3) this is really a last ditch thing to do the ship can open a mast riser and vent to atmosphere. Then you have a problem as you have just created yet another unwanted gas cloud!!!! Personally I would not want to live next door to an LNG facility. To be fair the LNG industry has a terrific safety record but people are pushing boundaries now. There will be a big bang somewhere one day. Part of the problem is there are a lot more LNG ships than there used to be, but with the growth in LNG Carriers a lot of older LNG ships have been sold on to some dodgy operators who are employing some not very well trained crews.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Woodside & Chevron seem to be at odds about how to proceed with projects.
    * Woodside wants to build quickly as looks to start new field
    * Chevron wants to spend more time planning infrastructure system.
    https://finance.yahoo.com/news/focus...040743480.html

I used to load LNG at Woodsides plant in Karratha. To be fair the LNG industry has a terrific safety record but people are pushing boundaries now. There will be a big bang somewhere one day. Part of the problem is there are a lot more LNG ships than there used to be, but with the growth in LNG Carriers a lot of older LNG ships have been sold on to some dodgy operators who are employing some not very well trained crews.
    Nice one Lewis, I thought things may have improved since I was doing this back in 1978, loading LNG at Lumut in Brunei on Shell "G" class. All boil off went back ashore via vapour return line and was flared off. A phenomenal amount was burned as they did not have the capacity to re liquify. About 16 -20 hours to load 80k cubic mtrs. with this flare blazing away all the time, pleased we didnt have any release.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 15th June 2018 at 09:27 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, happy daze john in oz liked this post