Thread: Pilot Boarding

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Pilot Boarding

https://www.facebook.com/danservange...6850084458409/
    I have never had a pilot board like this before. I am assuming he is the pilot???
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 6th March 2018 at 09:44 AM.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Pilot Boarding

Lew I suppose you could say he is going aboard off a board,very dodgy.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

4. Likes Red Lead Ted, N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was iced in once in kalingrad and the pilot walked across the ice to join us from offshore but we were still moored up. Took over an hour for the harbour tug could smash the ice enough for us to depart though it took almost that long to persuade the main engine to start.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Lewis McColl Guest

I was on a container feeder box boat called the Oahu and we used to run up into the Baltic Demark , Sweden and Finland. There was a lot of ice in the Baltic that winter it was either 1997 or 98. She was a weird build. Forward accommodation and aft engine room. Anyway we were going alongside Aarhus I think it was in Denmark. There was a lot of ice in the port and it seemed to be taking an age to get tied up. We had been on D S Ahead for a very long time. I phoned the Bridge to ask how much longer we would be as we had planned on pulling a exhaust valve. No one answered the bridge phone. I sent the 4th up top to have a look to see where we were. He came down and said we are all fast and even the shore side Container crane was in position and they were just about to start discharging us. I went up on deck and collared the second mate and asked him why we were still running the engine ahead. Red face time as I tapped the Masters door and asked if he would mind awfully going up to the bridge to ring FWE. He said don't worry about it I'll get the mate to tell you when we finished tying up. I'm a bit busy with the agents just now Lew. Okay no worries then, so you don't mind if I go and put the telegraph to stop then (Bridge Control) He nearly had a duck egg and shot up onto the unmanned wheelhouse. That was a bloody cold winter. It is the only time I have been on a ship when we had to de ice. The ice on the front of the accommodation block was over two feet thick in places, to say she was a bit tender when having a bit of a roll going down the North sea, it was a bit unnerving as she seemed to take forever come back over again. When we got to Rotterdam the Master had a stand up row with the ship manager as he would not give permission for down time to de ice. The master insisted and he was told if he insisted he would be relieved before the ship sailed. Give him his dues he stuck to his guns and said not one container would be discharged until we de iced. The ship manager was advised he would be needing a full complement if the master was relieved. We de iced the vessel before discharging a single box.

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, Jim Brady liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lulea Sweden late 64, we were the last ship in before the port closed for the winter.
    Ice breakers used to move us out, but in one corner of the dock the remains of a ship that did not get out in time the previous year.
    Crushed by ice to such an extent that her back was broken.
    Often wondered where they moved it to and why it had stayed there so long.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Jim Brady, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Approaching Budge Budge, up the OOGLY RIVER, bosun puts pilot ladder over side and stands by. Pilot cutter comes along side and pilot shouts up "I want the accommodation ladder lowered" Bosun replies, "use the ladder", Pilot - "I want the accomodation ladder lowered", bosun, "use the ladder". Pilot " I am the Oogly pilot I demand the accommdation ladder is lowered" Bosun " I dont give a feck if you are Pontius Pilot - use the ladder"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    https://www.facebook.com/danservange...6850084458409/
    I have never had a pilot board like this before. I am assuming he is the pilot???
    Having seen this about the pilot ,can I ask any of you Captains out there if they have sailed up the creeks to whari & Sapele.in Nigeria, I was on the Dumurra and when we arrived to pickup the pilot I was on the Wheel ,as we entered the creek 3 pilots rowed out in canoes, they each had a young boy around 12 years old with them and they each held up their names on a piece of cardboard ,for example Mr Smith ,Mr Jones, & Mr mc tavish .then the Captain had to pick one to pilot the ship up to Sapele , when the pilot arrived in the wheelhouse he replaced the helmsman with the 12 year old boy and away we went bouncing off the banks to enter the creek , can I ask as Captains how did you pick the Pilot ?? was it looks, was it the best looking Canoe , or just a guess, also were you or would you have been nervous that you had picked the wrong one.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Pretoria leaving East London.
    Pilot begins down the Jacobs ladder, there was a swell but not so big it appeared.

AS he went to take the last step from the ladder to the ship the ship was hit by a large swell.
    He dropped between the ship and the pilot boat, we never did find out if his body was ever recovered.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

is there any Captains out there to answer these Questions.