Thread: Anyone ever had a set to with Matelot,s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Anyone ever had a set to with Matelot,s

xmas day, Cape Town aboard the Windsor Castle, We all got an invite to a party not sure who organized the event that night but all UCL Crews where invited. There was a Royal Navy ship along side we all went to this booze up that night, As we where all downing the Amstell,s more and more matelot,s where entering the club and of course friendly banter started between us and them, As the night went on the banter turned a bit sour { Merchant Navy........... they wouldn't exist if it wernt for us ETC... } Bad move on there part we out numbered them but not by many i would say it was even Stephen, And most of our lot seaman, stewards, waiters, engine room the lot where to far gone on the booze to skin a rice pudding. I had a good mate of mine who i had sailed with twice before he was a bloody giant and fools took him lightly after a few more abusive shouts he stood up and said well if your that good lets take it outside............... I remember him sparking the first two himself guys where getting tossed around like rag dolls some where getting a right pasting on both sides i was just punching away at anyone and everyone i think i caught a few of our lads and they where the same. But it was only fists on both sides after about half an hour we including them where just about all in bloody knackered, And i suppose it was a good old fashion punch up. We ended up singing god save the queen arm in arm by the end of the night and holding each other up. Great memories of days gone bye Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Anyone ever had a set to with Matelot,s

One trip on our normal leave awaiting next Ship,in the Juniper Berry one day
    was with two Lads and my late Brother just enjoying a drink,when for no apparent reason this one Guy (found out later was from one of the RN Ships in port) came up to us and just elbowed me in the Head!

Well WW3 was on ,my Brother jumped up and smashed this fellow I recall twp punches and he was down and out,however there must have been a few of his mates waiting,and the it all broke loose.
    Tables,Bottles anything that one could get hold of was being used!
    A good mate of ours Julian Beverley Tipper had his car outside,it was as I recall a Zepher ,so in all this somehow with bloodied Faces and sore Bodies four of us managed to hit the Road in his Car.
    I know that we left two of the buggers on the Floor,and the other three were also in quite a mess!
    Till this day we never knew what it was all about! Never ever saw any of them again/
    Cheers

Those were the good old days! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#2... Often some casual remark can be taken the wrong way Vernon. Didn't call him a pansy or anything did you? I passed a casual remark to a US Coastguards man in Milwaukee in a bar have said before, asked him if correct had to be over 6 feet to join the US CG. Perfectly normal question, when he asked why and I said if the ship sinks then you can walk ashore. I saw the trouble coming a long time before it arrived and was more fleet of foot in those days. Discretion is the better part of valour. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Completely unprovoked attack JS ??

had some other good ding dongs with Matlows (that what we called them ) in Cape Town and Durban in the Clubs as many may recall those dives were famous for the visiting MN Lads and the RN Lads as well.
    Many a barney started over some Sheila or other LOL
    And many a paddy wagon in the aftermath as well,Cops all over and Bodies being dumped in the Black Marias. What a Palava!!
    cHEERS
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

5. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Some of those Cape coloured girls were hard to distinguish. Seems so long ago since the barriers came down. The only way could tell was by the fingernails and the halfmoons on the same. Maybe that's where the old custom of kissing a womans hand came into being to get a closer look at. Maybe where the fascination for toes came in also for those who wanted to be doubly sure. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Some of those Cape coloured girls were hard to distinguish. Seems so long ago since the barriers came down. The only way could tell was by the fingernails and the halfmoons on the same. Maybe that's where the old custom of kissing a womans hand came into being to get a closer look at. Maybe where the fascination for toes came in also for those who wanted to be doubly sure. Cheers JS
    Honest Guv , I was only down on the floor to look at her toenails , you will get drummed out of the North Shields Boy Scouts for telling stores like that ,
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###only one big barney with yankee navy .....some yankee fleet came into pireus i greece they arrived in the bar about half a dozen of us were in.... the big greek beers were about a shilling a bottle ....in comes the almighty dollar and the beers then went up double .....one started to shout how they ruled the world and were going to drink all the beer and fec all the women we decided to drink up an go ......there was dozens of them some bright spark said as we get to the door knock there table over smack one quick and then run like fec ......the beers went flying the table over ..i smacked one hard ...he was one big black fella if he caught me he would have killed me but we got away scot free ...mind before we went in any bars we had a look to see who was in after that...amazing how fast you can run when needed......happy days.....cheeky young barstewards we were

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6... I was only obeying the creed honest, and getting prepared. You should have tried that on Mary, pick the right foot though she only had the one. Which was the left as you told me. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th February 2018 at 10:35 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do not recall any bad moments in Cape Town with RN persons, but have seen some great fights with USA navy guys and locals.
    Most were over the female population who considered the yanks to be good for a night out.
    Local men did not like that and on a couple of occasions saw some good fights.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post