Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunnage

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Dunnage

Never seen this subject discussed before here, Anyone remember what we kept the best of it for, Obviously the ship had to sail with it once landed on the ships deck it became part of the ships cargo and as most of us have witnessed it was strewn all over the well decks on sailing, Although most of it was dumped over the ships side, What did we keep a bit back for. Remember the swimming pool built on hatch 2 or 3, Spanish Windless, Dunnage segregates cargo in the hold and prevents shifting of the cargo in response to ship motions. { ANYMORE } ???????????? Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Dunnage

Mostly reused on Fridge ships for the spacing between the boxes of fruit.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Most countries in the western world after discharge of cargo. Dunnage was regarded as a possible carrier of bacteria and germs which could be adverse to plant life and crop harvests. And had to be fumigated or burned. If in 3rd world countries it was probably utilised for constucton of buildings or even used again on other ships as dunnage. It would be in the charter party who was responsible for the disposal of, carrying steel cargoes from Japan to Detroit had to be landed ashore for burning. We had 300 tons every trip to pull out of the holds. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 29th January 2018 at 02:53 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have posted before, on one of Ellerman Papayani boats, we were in Tobruk , and as everyone knows , not a tree for miles, used to ditch bits of dunnage in the harbour, and watch the scrap among the Arabs that developed. wood was obviously highly prized. This would have been late 50,s, so not that long after the war, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We burned it in the fires on the coal burner

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Remember carrying a lot of deck cargo for different destinations around the Mexican coast, I done 3 trips in the Linguist, While in Houston we loaded a race horse a young colt beautiful young black horse, Cant for the life of me remember its destination, After we got him aboard, The mate realized no room on deck for his owners box, Chippy was called into action to build one to fit, He got to his destination all right the whole crew had a great rappour with this striking horse, After delivering him i remember a guy in a great big stetson coming aboard and left $ 100 For the crew to have a drink happy days indeed

Last edited by Doc Vernon; 29th January 2018 at 09:29 PM.
    {terry scouse}

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by red lead ted View Post
    . { ANYMORE } ???????????? Terry.
    Think we have discussed it before, but a long long time ago, and some things are worth re-airing

Dunnage, usually laid thwartships was mainly used to prevent sweating of cargoes by avoiding direct contact with the steel decks and to aid drainage to the bilges, along with the spar ceiling on the ships side running fore and aft to prevent cargoes directly contacting the steel hull, it also aided air circulation to assist the prevention of sweating. Dunnage also used when carrying steel/copper/lead bars /ingots as it acted like double sided tape when compressed to assist in preventing the cargo moving. Sometimes the dunnage was supplied by the shipper and he wanted it discharged at the other end to put on another vessel, however many Captains or owners would not accept previously used dunnage unless it had been fumigated and the vessel provided with a fumigation certificate. When used on deck it was usually laid at 45 degrees to the fore and aft line to allow seas shipped on deck during passage to run off down the deck and over ships side

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ok Ted I was on the E.D ship Dumurra in Bathurst ,I think it was our last port before leaving the coast ,an hour before sailing a boy said that he would give me a parrot for some Dunnage I threw it over the side and he collected it in his canoe, never saw him until we were lifting the gangway and he appeared with a Senegal parrot it was green. I took it home and gave it to my mum, when my mum died the parrot was still alive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Dockers quite often used it as frames for sun shelters on the winch islands, especially in the Philippines. RM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Twas also used to build the Thunderboxes on the after end for the crew boys in West Africa

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast