Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: being adrift and getting logged.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default being adrift and getting logged.

having never been involved in a logging, I wonder why it didn't happen. 1956 while on the Greenwich, we were in Melbourne loading a part cargo. I was on my second trip, still a deck boy and this particular night was ashore drinking and landed up in the temp camps for immigrants, which didn't end in my favour...waking up in bright sun shine, made my way back to the docks and found the ship had sailed.. I knew we were going down the coast to Geelong to finish off the cargo. So by the time I had caught a train and found the ship it was nearly noon. To this day I still do not think I was up before the old man, sure I would remember something like that. We finished loading and sailed for the States and Canada. At this time it was discovered that two stewards had jumped ship, leaving the catering staff shorthanded. It was how I was promoted to an assistant steward for the remainder of the trip home.. On paying off my discharge book gave the rank of deck boy/ assistant steward..
    the Greenwich was a good happy ship to work on and had a good crew.. when we arrived in Montreal I asked for some time off to visit with my sister and family who I had not seen in over 11 yrs, since moving as a war bride in 1945. I was allowed 2 1/2 days off to be with them, thought that was pretty decent of the capt.
    regards, stan.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: being adrift and getting logged.

Hi Stan,

A nice memory, mate, and one that also serves to illustrate that some Captain's with whom we sailed were indeed men of perception and compassion. Of course, there was the other kind whose time on this earth had been totally misplaced.....think Spanish Inquisition and the horrendous treatment that some men visited upon those under their control. There were one or two who were like that, however, I don't for one minute think a captain's lot was ever quite as easy as we of the lower-deck sometimes imagined. In your case I prefer to believe that, although a most junior member of the deck-crowd at that time, your value as a crew-member had been rightly assessed by those who mattered and accordingly no punishment was imposed upon you. Whether your good fortune was courtesy of an understanding bosun or a kindly Mate or Captain who can say ? Whatever the reason, it is clear such faith in you was not misguided as your later elevation to adult rank bears witness. Your regard as a crew-member was further underscored when later, in Canada, you were given leave to visit family. In view of the circumstances regarding a prospective reunion with your sister, only a hard-hearted martinet would have refused (thank heavens they were in the minority). Now, it must be gratifying for you to reflect upon that time and know that as a young seaman your application to the job was recognised and justly rewarded. Good luck to you, Stan.

.....Roger

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger.
    I think you are right mate, I came across more good skippers than bad. Two instances come to mind, once as JOS when i was on the wheel we had left Genoa and coming past Vesuvius I leaned forward to get the last look, unbeknownst to me I was moving the wheel a little and the ship was slowly turning when the skipper came into the wheelhouse and said "Hard a Starboard Jenkins, you may as well take her right around and have a good look." Everyone cheered when I came off the wheel, but no repercussions from the Skipper.
    Another was when we passed Ceylon on the way to Aus from the Gulf on a tanker can't remember which one, I was on lookout, must have dosed off when I woke up I saw a light on the Starboard bow and rang the bell, some one shouted ,"There he is". then I noticed all the deck lights were on, my watch mate, one of the new type seaman had come up to re-leave me hadn't bothered to look around then reported me missing and the skipper had turned the ship around, the Skipper gave me a telling off but that was it, I think with my watch mate being one of the new types he thought he hadn't looked around enough.
    Mind you I sailed with one bad one who logged most of the crew, when we got home he sacked us all but then was sacked himself.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes as said there were the good Captains in those days,and many got away with as the saying goes (Murder)
    You are lucky that you never had that Capt called Logger Lloyd on your Ship ,you would have been Hung ,drawn and quatered! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A short 3 letter word like LOG and to most seamen brings up visions of loss of money. Log however covered other meanings in the noun category as against its verbal meaning. There was the ships log complete rotator wheel and clock and line for measuring distance. Numerous different types of Log books on board. Short for logarithm... the power to which a base must be raised to equal a given number, and which the mariner depended on to get around the world.then of course the old log amongst many of the same in a deck cargo from the likes of the forestry ports around Vancouver Island. Trying to think of any more Logs on ships apart from the Xmas Chocolate one that the cook would knock up if in a good mood. However the word Log is sacrosanct in the minds of seamen as meaning one thing only. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2018 at 10:44 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

And could work out very expensive over a long trip, the biggest cause of logging in my case was the lunch time swift pint ashore, and usually developed into a full blown p***up, so had turned to in the morning , adrift in the afternoon, loss 2 days pay, should have gone adrift right from the start !!!, i know, you could have taught a monkey quicker, the stupidity of youth, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Keith you should have insisted that your fines went to AA or some charity with meaning like the homes for wayward women. In your case as stated you should have forfeited half a day’s pay and fined a day’s pay. Further offences would have doubled up on the fines which went to charity. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2018 at 11:56 AM.

8. Likes Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##once heard it said if you skinned out any gear you left was sent to a large room in london marked with your name and left for eternity .....wonder if my BA boots are still there ......now there is a thing to stir memories BA boots ....cappsy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So BA boots Cappy, they were the bees knees when we got home, i also had the BA leather jacket, sheepskin lined if i recall, kt

11. Likes cappy, N/A, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###got the boots but got in tanker joes one of the best seamans bars in the world in the 50s everything to hand ...but when i tottered out the BA jacket money was gone like chaff inthe wind...oh happy days ......cappsy

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Roger.
    I think you are right mate, I came across more good skippers than bad.
    Mind you I sailed with one bad one who logged most of the crew, when we got home he sacked us all but then was sacked himself.
    Cheers Des
    funny how if you lived down aft you could always tell who was at the wheel....each had there own rythm for different sea states...cappsy
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th January 2018 at 06:31 PM.

13. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, robpage liked this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast