Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: being adrift and getting logged.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: being adrift and getting logged.

Anyone got any idea were all the monies resulting from loggings & fines went ?
    I was never given any option whatsoever as to where the money went.
    Being young at the time there were a few, youth & alcohol do not mix well.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Roger, many thanks for your in depth perspective of the possible reasons for dodging an expensive lesson of youth. Not having the benefit of instant recall of conversations or 'rollockins' that may have occurred over sixty years ago, I can only assume that some kind heartfelt offerings of thankfulness was offered at the time to all that may have had a part in not taking matters further. Just maybe at the age of seventeen I didn't have an attitude of " I know it all" and to keep my mouth shut and learn from what was taught you by much wiser and harder men you sailed with. As you stated, puts you in good stead later on in life.
    regards, stan

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#11... Good question Graham. The forfeiture of wages of course went back to the shipowner. The fines I would imagine went to the shipping office as pay offs in those days were all done in front of a shipping master and his office crew. So if no information as to where it went, would imagine if all above board went to a charity of their choice. There were quote a few anomalies at sea during our time. Such as allotments which could be enforced to a maximum of 50 percent of basic wage. However most shipowners did not enforce as half of a seaman’s wage wasn’t much for a wife to bring up a family on..overtime was the big enticement on most ships, so if were caught on a long trip with a person or the company cutting back, didnt make for a happy ship.. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th January 2018 at 11:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon, Logger Lloyd well named I believe.
    To log or not to log that is the question, whether tis nobler in the mind to suffer the cost of such, or by arguing with the old man to oppose it.
    To argue, perchance to lose and in that loss what cost may come???????????????

But to be logged by a skipper who was considered to be a fair man, 'Granny Smyth', and to be told while he is doing it that it is for your own good so you may not do it again!!!!!

Tell that to the young lady who detained me and made me late by four hours.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8. Are you sure your not getting mixed up with the left luggage office at Kings Cross Cappy. Cheers JS

6. Likes cappy, Graham Payne, Dennis McGuckin, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

##that sounds like that bloke from jarrow john they had paid of after a long trip ....got to kings cross and the bar manager would not let him in the bar with his monkey .......so off he trotted to left luggage and they put it in a cage for him ...two days later after a big session he woke up in glasgow ..eventually got the monkey back ....bust cost him so much so after 17 months away he had to sign on again.......ah the british merchant seaman at play

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ah the easy money days of the MN, wages were only beer coupons, and were spent like water, if i had my time again, i would save like mad, instead of runs ashore, buy a couple of houses and retire. No i would,nt, i,m a bloody liar, i would do it all over again !!!!, kt

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Further to #11 and #13 Graham. If when getting logged the old man after reading out the reason why fines and forfeitures were imposed was supposed to ask you if you had anything to say. This is maybe when you should have said “ I want my fine paid to the home for fallen women”. Your answer to his query had to also be entered in the OLB. Most seamen were probBly suffering a hangover and only too keen to get out of their environment and get a livener. When mate on Britishships the federation used to send down prospective new crew with pool papers and dis book and had to sign if acceptable. DRs and other endorsements didn’t mean too much to me as saw how. A lot were not justified. In fact. Worked to the good as their owners wanted clear books at the end of voyage and were incilined to take it easy. You could also refuse a DR and demand an ENR if so inclined. Later had to get a written copy of Log book entry, just think today could have hanging on the bulkhead like an old master, may even be worth some money, and could recoup losses of years ago. All changed today of course as no discharges as such. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th January 2018 at 09:56 AM.

10. Thanks N/A, Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best form of discipline I saw was when working for the MOD. Shipboard discipline was kept on the ship if not too serious. The Diving Officer usually a Lieutenant or Lieut/Cmmdr. Used to be the dispenser of justice. The usual fine was a case of beer for the POs bar or messroom. One of the Divers who missed the ship in Marseille was fined 2 cases. If a merchant ship would have suffered more than that. There was very little need for enforcing draconic measures on such ships. Cheers JWS.

12. Likes Graham Payne, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John , if when i was logged at sea you told me it would have been cases of beer for the POs messroom, i would never be logged again, lol, kt

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast