Thread: Thank you for all the advice, I got the sponsorship!!!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Thank you for all the advice, I got the sponsorship!!!

Hi all,

Two weeks ago today (the 22nd) I started my research into a career with the Merchant Navy by posting on this forum. Many of this site's members offered me positive, useful advice and even though it may of seemed trivial it evidently put me on the path to preparing in the correct way for my interview with Clyde as I got the placement! The envy a lot of you expressed at my position made me know I was doing the right thing and I got stuck in finding out any and everything I could about a career (and more importantly, life) at sea.

I will be starting at the Riverside campus, College of Glasgow on the 29th of January and after my phase 2 when I first get some sea time I will be sure to write on this site again to try and give you all my best account of what a life at sea is like today.

I would like to share another forum I found that I think will be useful for anyone in the future who finds themselves in my shoes and I hope that this isn't against any of this site's rules. That site is OfficerCadet.com . It helped me with lots of important current information such as who employs cadets and first hand, anonymous accounts of what life is like as an officer today.

I couldn't be happier and again i'd like to thank everyone who helped me and sent me information, it all helped.

Regards and A Happy New Year to You and Yours,
    ER

Marian Gra Guest

Default Re: Thank you for all the advice, I got the sponsorship!!!

Well done Ethan, good luck in your endeavours, members I'm sure will look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ethan.
    Good luck with your endeavors and hope you enjoy your life at sea as all on this site did. When you return I hope the green color of the site [envy] wont put you off posting.
    Good Luck hope you are soon sailing under the flag.
    Des

redc.gif

4. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Best of luck in this and all future ventures.

Keith.

6. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Likes Ethan Read, Richard Quartermaine liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ethan, your communications have been a reward to those who have responded to your inquiry. You are obviously a very decent bloke and I, for one, look forward to your continued presence and comments on your activities on this site. Well done on the first step up the gangway.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

8. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations Ethan and thank you for keeping us in the loop, it is really appreciated. Good luck in your chosen career and if you enjoy it as much as we old codgers did, then you will know you have chosen the right path.

10. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ethan
    Congratulations on your gaining sponsorship. As most of here have said our time at sea was vastly different to what yours will be but whatever your experiences will he it will be far better than the daily drudge of commuting and sitting in a souless office. Even today a ship is a living breathing entity where the view outside changes daily. One of the greatest pleasures I had when I first started at sea was to be exposed too and having to work with, fellow seafarers from different countries and different cultures. At school I was useless at foreign language but after my first trip to sea, having spent 11 months working with Spanish crew I could speak passable Spanish and made friend's with them to such extent that I was able to spend holidays in Spain with the friends I had made on board.
    Rgds
    I.A.

12. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Congratulations, Ethan. You lucky man.
    I always wanted to go to sea. Just one BIG problem. I wasn't christened Brendan.....
    regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for getting back to us Ethan, and congratulations. if you are as excited as i was when receiving a telegram (what were they you ask ) to join my first ship as a deck boy, then you will be on a high.hope you keep us informed of your progress, i can assure you , we are all interested in the modern MN, even as old as most of us are. best of luck for the future, KT

15. Thanks Ethan Read thanked for this post