Thread: drowning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default drowning

since i was quite young i was told i had two family drowned at dunston on the tyne in the earl 1900s......my dear granny always said as i took up a seafaring occupation ..dont go to dunston ...which of course was out of my hands ....actually did go once on that old banger the corfen to pay off as she laid up ......but the reason this post comes to mind is ...as i grew up the local newspaper almost weekly stated another merchant seaman had drowned ....iether going ashore or going aboard ......i must admit that although this was common i was not suprised as the drink taken was a great factor in these deaths ......how many were lost i would not ever know but many each year in shields and on the tyne for sure......i recall a character tumbling down off the gangway in liverppol as we had signed on the day before tumbling and given his heads a crack which must have needed many stitches and i would guess a fracture also ...he was the new bosun and refusing help staggered of to his berth ...later the mate sent him ashore in a taxi ...we didnt see him again ......probably a hospital job at least ...now of course the tyne has the odd suicide or accident ..but then it was almost a weekly happening ......and that was before they got abroard....cappy

2. Thanks robpage, Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: drowning

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    since i was quite young i was told i had two family drowned at dunston on the tyne in the earl 1900s.....now of course the tyne has the odd suicide or accident ..but then it was almost a weekly happening ......and that was before they got abroard....cappy
    hi cappy
    an old childhood friend of mine was lost at sea on his first trip, but statistically I have read somewhere that the most drownings at sea occur with small boats ie yachties, whom trying to have a piss over the side loose their grip and are gone.
    tom
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 6th January 2018 at 08:25 AM.

4. Likes cappy, robpage, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: drowning

So far there have been 15 drownings this summer here on the Oz east coast.
    Many get caught in the 'Rip' and panic and that is the end of them.
    A lot more get into trouble but are saved by the life guards, not the same as the ones in Whitehall you understand.
    Swim between the flags and you will be OK. Lifer guards patrol this part of the beach.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Keith Tindell liked this post