Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: Discharge books

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge books

Added to the above... correction..you aren’t told you are asked if would be acceptable to you and if say yes you hear nothing else until it appears in the media. In my personal experience I didn’t get time to return the acceptance form. Had to phone Downing Street 3 days before the time ran out. Must have caused Maggie no amount of trauma as she was on her way out of No. 10 and may of even been the last official business of her term. The radio operator at Lands End radio must have got a surprise as well. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 21st November 2017 at 08:54 AM.

2. Likes Captain Kong, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have 3 discharge books covering 41 years of service as opposed to my Dads single one covering 33 years of service.
    My 3 are
    Initial one issued in 1967 on entry to the M.N.
    2nd one issued in 1973 when we were all required to get a new one when they removed the sections on reporting on conduct and ability
    3rd one New style one (smaller and now called United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland, Seaman's Discharge Book, issued in 2005 after previous one was filled up.
    My dads book lists all his Blue Star ships from cadet in 1927 up to 1941 when he joined HMRT and for the period 41-46 only has the stamped entry "HMS Minanoa" (the Cambeltown town where the rescue tug section was based and then a list of the tugs he served on but with no dates. Upon leaving the RNVR he went into commercial salvage (Overseas Towing and Blands of Gibraltar) with no entries in his book, before re-joining Blue Star in 53, eventually passing away on board The Australia Star in 1960.
    One strange entry in my first discharge book, handwritten, in the Income Tax code number and date (which is blank except for the note "=S= effective only to 5/4/71". Have no idea what that means as the N.I. number is entered in the section below for it.
    rgds
    J.A.

4. Thanks N/A, Ivan Cloherty, cappy, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, j.sabourn, Norm Anderson liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Many seamen were on "running agreements" they only signed off and on again when the articles changed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On the railway Ferries you signed on and it covered all the ships out of the port of Weymouth so you could change ships without re signing once we moved up to Portsmouth you signed off and on on the ship and you could fill a book quite quickly by signing on and off every 3 weeks
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

7. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6