Thread: A real old timer

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default A real old timer

Big celebration yesterday, 200 years, she was later a training ship, but i,m not sure when,

WATCH: Celebrations for 200th anniversary of ship that once graced Portsmouth Harbour - The News kt

Lewis McColl Guest

Default Re: A real old timer

Keith , link not loading? just get a never ending circle going round on screen.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had the same Lewis, but the right up info is interesting, i,m wondering when she was a training ship and if it was in our era, kt

- - - Updated - - -

A bit more info on her,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wq6GRfGuxRk kt

4. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith
    I went on board her in Portsmouth Harbour in 1949, [ when Lewis was a new born baby].
    I was a Sea cadet then and a party of us went on board. very interesting, and good to see she is still there in Good Condition.
    Cheers
    Brian,]

6. Thanks Keith Tindell thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

Keith while I was reading the blog the video clip loaded up and played. Very interesting facts about her construction as in the use of Teak instead of Oak and the reasons why. Also very interesting about how the sea worms destroyed Oak but would not touch Teak. Again the fact that the natural oil in Teak meant that the Iron work frames etc helpeed preserve the metal.
    She certainly would be well worth a visit.
    Also intresting to note she was of French design, and still afloat after 200 years
    I was lucky enough to get on board this one last summer here in Bordeaux(Hermione)untitled.jpg some may find the attached link interesting . I am not sure about this but I think the orignal ship was taken as a prize by the Royal Navy.https://www.thegoodlifefrance.com/th...rochelle-2015/
    Last edited by Lewis McColl; 13th October 2017 at 09:26 AM.

8. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

see Brian , if the French had designed the Fleetwood fishing fleet it would probably still be there today
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I love to see old ships, i have had several holidays in India, and to visit the locals building fishings boats, using in a lot of cases very old tools. the adze etc. The skills those guys had is incredible. The museum at Bucklers Hard is well worth a visit in this area. kt

12. Likes Captain Kong, N/A, thomas michael liked this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

If you are ever in the Liverpool maritime museum in the small boat/sail boat section live exhibits have a look at what is called the Opera class sail boat La Poupee.
    She was lying in Hoylake Sailing Clubs boat house falling into dis repair and had not sailed for years.
    The sailing club boat man along with a few others myself included re built her from the keel up, the owner did not want her so the club have her out on permanent loan to the muesum.
    It was fasinating to see an old girl like her come back to life.
    I bought another Opera class boat which was also in a bad way. It took me over 2 years to get her in the water. Carmen she was called and she was unusual because she was built out of Larch instead of Pine. To keep her as built I ended up buying a tree in North Wales and had all the planking rough cut, the Frames were Oak and a lot had been broken. A local boat builder taught me the art of steaming timber so I managed replace the damaged frames and also steaming the planks. Making all the spares was a challenge, made a right cock up of the yard but tahnkfully salvaged that toake the gaff.
    I actually got more enjoyment rebuilding the boat than sailing it I was never really a good helm.
    Carmen is still sailing today although to my annoyance the current owner decided to paint her Carmen Red instead of keeping her in her natural wood and varnish as I had her, still I suppose she is called Carmen so Red is her colour, but it took months to get her looking good and in Varnish.

14. Thanks Keith Tindell, thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Lewis, did you ever come across strip planking in a small boat ?, the build consists of smaller strips of timber, convex one side and concave the other, glued one on top of the one below, devil of a job to repair as you had to strip down from the top. very strong build, but let down by the glues used of the day. The one i had dealing with was a Cheverton Caravelle. Really the only way was to fibre glass sheath the hull. kt

Lewis McColl Guest

I have heard of it Keith and just had a google , looks a real work up to repair. There was a video clip by two Americans doing a so called repair, looked to me as if they were just using a Marine plywood veneer and rebonding a lot of the boat.
    I loved wooden boats but I found I was spending more time maintaining my boat than sailing it. The boat I had was not that big she was only 16' with a 3' bowsprit, gaff rigged shapeimage_1.jpg
    I had a lot of fun sailing at Royal Mersey Yacht club in there one design Mersey Mylne. Not exactly for the scenery would you sail just off the Tranmere oil jetty but low water sailing the Mersey is very challenging indeed, good fun. First thing you told any new cew was if fall over board do not call out for help, so as to avoid swallowing any mersey trout that maybe in the water. lol
    GRP was the best thing ever to happen to boat building, that is until you get osmosis into the GRP.

17. Likes Keith Tindell liked this post