Thread: Mighty Ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Mighty Ships

Watching the latest edition of MightyCruise Ships on Quest TV. Why does every ship that is not a cruise ship be called a tanker. Many of the ships passed were obviously bulkers, cargo ships but that commentator insisted they were tankers.
    According to the comments or we park ships we don't berth them.
    Grrr.
    Regards
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mighty Ships

I am afraid the media and press no longer take care to get their facts right any more. Sensationalism is the goal, no matter who it hurts or destroys. They assume far to much and are staffed by people who do not know the meaning of the words research or check your facts. Lazy, dilatory and ignorant also comes to mind when press and media are mentioned. I might also add **** stirrers too, along with gross insensitivity were death, injury or loss has occurred. You have all probably gathered by now that I hate the press and media in any form whatsoever. The reason being that most reporters / journalists that I have met, gave me the distinct impression that they had just crawled out from under a stone.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 24th September 2016 at 03:16 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Watching the latest edition of MightyCruise Ships on Quest TV. Why does every ship that is not a cruise ship be called a tanker. Many of the ships passed were obviously bulkers, cargo ships but that commentator insisted they were tankers.
    According to the comments or we park ships we don't berth them.
    Grrr.
    Regards
    Vic
    It's not only Mighty Ships, documentaries on Panama, Suez etc every ship except a passenger 'boat' grrrrrrrr, is a tanker, and we live in an area surrounded by ports but the local Press always call them boats and tankers, they received a letter and a history lesson from 'Disgruntled of Torquay'

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Vic.
    If your journalistic schools are anything like the ones out here we are all in strife. They come on the nightly quiz show on a regular basis just to show up their ignorance, of the country and places where they were brought up.In their writings they have to follow their employers news papers bent.
    I don't know if your version of mighty ships is the same as ours where a strident American woman gives the commentary, on the normal ships Cargo or Tanker there is always a breakdown in the engine room, on the passenger ships it's always the rush to get all the food aboard before sailing, with a "My god were are a box of tomatoes short." and not forgetting the music.I no longer watch it.
    Cheers Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Like Des I have given up on Mighty Ships, as there always seems to be an emergency to beat the clock, things we took in our stride at sea and the misdescriptions of certain parts of a ship or duties is very grating. As for 'passenger floathotels' watching all the people struggling to get up the gangway when alongside doesn't bode well for any emergency evacuation. Give me a tramper any day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The media, don't we just love them...........not!

Facts, what facts, truth may not sell copy but writer some crap about some minor detail in such a manner as it looks as if the sky is to fall in and there you go!

Truth, like in wa,r the first casualty in the world of facts.

Have watched a couple of the 'Mighty ships', or 'boats' as one idiot presenter called them, but did not see much to write home about.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

7. Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post