Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Fiji

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fiji

Ia orana,Richard.
    what the UK did overseas has now been over for many years now, But the frogs are still suppressing a very lovely and innocent race of people, To stop them being a colony they annexed them into a Province of France so they can never get independence. Only a sneaky frog could think of that, The Tahitians, Marquesans, the New Caledonians never had a choice, they were Not given a vote on it. what a wonderful sense of democracy the french have.

I am off to sunny Fleetwood for a few days, in case the French try to land there and turn it into a province of france. Fortunately the beach is mined to keep out the illegals.
    Maru-ururu, mai tai.
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th August 2015 at 10:08 AM.

2. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Captain Kong, I suggest you read the history of Fiji.
    It was a protectorate of Great Britain until 1970 and it was the British who brought the Indians to Fiji as indentured labour, at the beginning of the 20th century.
    The Indians had no desire to go to Fiji, they had families and extended families in India; the British took them as slave labour to work in the cane fields and they never saw their families again.

The Indians worked and saved until they got 50 year, pepper-corn, leases from the Fijian Land Council.
    The land is still governed by the Fijian Land Council and the population is multi-racial; there is: Melanesian, Indian, New Zealand, Australian and British Fijians; if you are born in a country you take on that nationality

The Council reclaimed some of the land and gave it to the Melanesian Fijian’s along with sacks Corn to plant; the recipients ate or sold the Corn and neglected the land.

Fijian, Gujarat Indians (Traders), the children of the indentured labourers saved their money and followed their traditional occupation as traders.
    They built the shops and started the businesses; they actually started the Fijian Tourist Industry with their endeavour.

My wife is a granddaughter of an indentured couple and I have spent a lot of time in Fiji.
    Get the facts straight before making comments.
    Last edited by Tony Dwyer; 29th August 2015 at 08:11 AM.

4. Likes John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Q
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Ia orana,Richard.
    what the UK did overseas has now been over for many years now, But the frogs are still suppressing a very lovely and innocent race of people, To stop them being a colony they annexed them into a Province of France so they can never get independence. Only a sneaky frog could think of that, The Tahitians, Marquesans, the New Caledonians never had a choice, they were Not given a vote on it. what a wonderful sense of democracy the french have.

I am off to sunny Fleetwood for a few days, in case the French try to land there and turn it into a province of france. Fortunately the beach is mined to keep out the illegals.
    Maru-ururu, mai tai.
    Brian
    Mai Tai is a cocktail comprising Rum, Curaçao and lime juice.
    R635733

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Gilly,
    you are right in that context........
    Mai Tai
    from Wikipedia..........
    Variant of mai tai
    a cocktail made with rum and fruit juices, often garnished with pineapple or other fruit or with a tiny orchid.
    In the Tahitian Language Mai tai means ....Good, or Great.
    Going through my files from Tahiti. I noticed that Pape-ete in Tahiti was attacked and shelled by German warships on 22 September 1914, by the German cruisers Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, they sank the French Gun Boat Zelee and a cargo ship `Walkure` and the town of Pape-ete was shelled and several buildings destroyed.
    The Royal Navy sank both German warships at the Battle of the Falklands.
    Just thought you would like to know.
    Cheers,
    Brian

8. Thanks John Gill thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A brown mixed is a sophisticated little drink consisting of half of mild in a pint glass topped off with a bottle of brown ale.
    Often served at dinner parties and social gatherings it is particularly good when served with delicacy's such as pork pie, sausage rolls and potato flavoured crisps.
    Stirred not shaken.

10. Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What about a blue mixed Louis do you remember what that was.A very good livener.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sorry it took so long to reply Jim. I was dragged out to drive my wife to Waitrose and Sainsbury's but as the roads were very busy we settled on Aldi, as we have for the past couple of years. We keep the posh supermarket bags in the car in case the neighbours are watching when we get home.
    Never came across a blue mixed but I remember India Pale Ale had a blue label, is that it ?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Threlfalls pubs always had a Blue Label.
    Don't think they are still going now.
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Louis & Brian Threllfalls sold bottles of Blue Lable beer the lads used to say it was gassed up bitter.you drank that with half a mild,blue mixed, or with half a bitter that was powerful.Just the bottle of blue was great for a livener in the morning after a hard night on the booze.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

15. Likes Captain Kong liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3