Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: The Falklands

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The Falklands

Not sure about the oil John, I keep up with most current stories in the news, But if they have I doubt if the Argies economy being what it is would take many years to get any income from it. I think its more a case of us being caught with our pants down. Regards Terry.
    {terry scouse}

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There is Oil within the two hundred mile zone. When I was in Esso it was known.
    Also the Fish. Licences have to be bought from the Falklands Government, the seas around there are full of Chinese and Taiwanese fishing vessels. The Government have a Fisheries protection vessel there checking on them.
    Brian

4. Likes happy daze john in oz, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard,
    The frogs had a bad reputation in WW2, They assisted, helped, the germans.
    When the SS Durham was sunk on a Med Convoy the Survivors landed in the lifeboats in Tunisia, the frogs took them prisoner and then handed them over to the germans who then sent them to a POW Camp in germany.
    When a British ship was sunk by the french off Dakar the survivors were treated very badly by the frogs and then forced to walk through swamps and jungle all the way to Timbuctoo, some dying on the way and the rest were killed there. Their graves are still there. The very nice french didn't give them much wine or bread pastry food.
    The list is endless of french collaboration with the germans.
    I do not like the way they treat the Tahitians. like some inferior race.
    I would never ever go to france for a vacation, Only ever been on my ships so no choice.
    I was loading slag at the steel works in Dunkirk, the conveyor started forward and stayed there, I told the man to move it aft, all I got was a shoulder hug and he haw he haw he haw, like a bleddy donkey.
    The ship was way down by the head, I had to get all hands and the drag buckets to shift a couple of thousand tons of slag aft.
    The man said No speak English.
    I said you berstereds could speak English in 1940 on that beach over there when you wanted to come to England. he was not amused.
    No Richard, I do not like the french and will never go to france. even if I won a Free Holiday there I would not go, I have my principles.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 1st April 2015 at 10:37 AM.

6. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Richard
    Read J.Gordon Mumford`s account of the frogs treatment of British Seamen in WW2.
    . Here is also the treatment of the British LABOUR PARTY Governments treatment of the survivors,.....Compensation Confiscated
    The crew of the Criton received far worse treatment than any other British prisoners of the Vichy French, and was imprisoned longer than other MN prisoners in West Africa. After the war the French government made an ex gratia payment to the British government in compensation, but did not apologise.

To add insult to injury, the British Labour government of the day kept the money, and the exceedingly poor treatment of the crew of the Criton conveniently forgotten. Like the Japanese, the Vichy French withheld medicines, Red Cross parcels, clothing and footwear, leaving them rotting in the sun.

Brian

From j.Gordon Mumfords site.
    POWs in West Africa

Seamen sunk off the West African coast were taken prisoner by the Vichy French,
    and sent to camps in Koulikoro and Timbuktu (Timbuctoo).

The Man from Timbuctoo: Experience of Peter de Neumann

SS Allende: Experience of Wilfred Williams
    SS Criton and the War Graves at Timbuctoo

Fred Milthorp, steward on a Danish ship in Dakar

Thanks to K. Williams, B. de Neumann, M. Armstrong, B. Milthorp, and E. Heath who provided stories and images for these pages.
    from J.Gordon Mumford`s excellent site. with thanks. Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 1st April 2015 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#22... Of course there is oil there. They have already done the seismic surveys. The government will not be in possession of these reports unless they have found a way to coerce whatever oil company paid for the results of such. As master on a Seismic survey vessel one never knows the final results of such surveys they are like the sacred tabernacle and worth a lot of money. Ask any oil company the results of the searches around the Falklands and the best you might accomplish is to purchase the findings for X millions of dollars. I believe they have already had the exploration rigs there, the second line in the chain, the next if proves it monetary wise will be the production either by a well head ship or structure. It is not a 5 minute process, all takes time and could be a few years yet before comes on line. JS

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When they discover new Oil Wells they usually Cap it. until it is needed, could be years. But storage is free, bring it ashore then land has to be bought, storage tanks built with all the associated pipe lines, etc. etc. in the ground under the sea is free storage. Only when it is required will a Production Rig be positioned and then the means of getting it ashore to a tank farm and refinery either by tanker loading off a FPSO or under sea pipeline.
    So because there are no tankers loading oil in The Falklands doesn't mean there is no oil.
    I was in a hotel in Southampton in the 1980s and drinking with a guy from Texas who was in the oil exploration business. They had surveyed and drilled all along the South coast of England and into the Celtic Sea.
    He said Those guys are sitting on a fortune, they have found oil all the way round. and all the wells are Capped
    No point in bringing it ashore. just to store.it is already in storage for free. Just use up all Scotland's oil first and then we can use English and Welsh oil.
    Also if there is a glut of oil the Price will drop. the last thing oil companies need, just keep a steady flow.
    Cheers
    Brian

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

>From The Queen's Royal Lancers Website:

Goodbye to my England, So long my old friend
    Your days are numbered, being brought to an end
    To be Scottish, Irish or Welsh that's fine
    But don't say you're English, that's way out of line.

The French and the Germans may call themselves such
    So may Norwegians, the Swedes and the Dutch
    You can say you are Russian or maybe a Dane
    But don't say you're English ever again.

At Broadcasting House the word is taboo
    In Brussels it's scrapped, in Parliament too
    Even schools are affected, staff do as they're told
    They must not teach children about England of old.

Writers like Shakespeare, Milton and Shaw
    The pupils don't learn about them anymore
    How about Agincourt, Hastings , Arnhem or Mons ?
    When England lost hosts of her very brave sons.

We are not Europeans, how can we be?
    Europe is miles away over the sea
    We're the English from England, let's all be proud
    Stand up and be counted - Shout it out loud !

Let's tell our Government and Brussels too
    We're proud of our heritage and the Red, White and Blue
    Fly the flag of Saint George or the Union Jack
    Let the world know - WE WANT OUR ENGLAND BACK !!!!
    If you are English pass it on please

13. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Brian, just caught up with these this morning and we're off to Leura for our morning coffee. I have a couple of memories to share later.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re. Offshore Oil Exploration... The usual method is for a country to put out to tender certain blocks or measured areas of the sea bed in their territorial waters. These are what are called options. The oil company then takes up such option and is usually giving a fixed term say 5 years to make some headway and show an interest in such by making some work on same. If say after 5 years nothing has been done on the option, they lose the site and it reverts back to the country of ownership and is again open to others to go through the same rigmarole. As said the first exploration is the seismic ship which goes in to see the possibilities of their being oil or gas there, this is found by sound waves on a computerized graph making machine showing the densities of the various levels of the sea bed which may be conducive to the possibility of there being gas or oil there. The rig or drill ship then goes in to drill to whatever depth they want sometimes many hundreds of feet, if oil or gas there, then the well is capped by cement and other commodities and then left until it is ready to start production as Brian says. Any government then proceeds to put whatever taxation it desires on the amount of production. They are all winners winners and winners, after refinery the losers loser losers are the likes of the poor motorist on his being taxed once again on what really is the initial product from his own countries produce. There have already been exploration rigs in the Falklands sea areas, so the oil companies who took out the original options will already know the feasibility of production, also in that case the government as their position as the granters of the options will have to be consulted about production and taxes etc. By now the government will be aware of what oil reserves are there, unfortuanetly there not being many well kept secrets these days, so will the Argentine. JS

16. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Braid Anderson, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Brian.
    I remember when they found oil in Western Australia, I think it was on the Queens first visit that they wrote a welcome in the sand in crude oil. Then they capped it off .
    Cheers Des

18. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast