Thread: For JS In Australia

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default For JS In Australia

John
    This appeared in our local rag today. Hope it does not stir too many bad memories.
    Did you know the guy? Seems he worked for the same outfit as you at the time as his ships name bears a similarity to yours
    Tributes to sea captain who was hero of Piper Alpha oil rig disaster - Shields Gazette
    rgds
    JA

2. Thanks cappy, Frederick Lacey, N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: For JS In Australia

RIP... 60 no age at all.

F

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks JA. Yes I knew him. The FRC off his ship was close to me when was blown out of the water. Two of the Three crew were killed alongside some survivors they had at the time was lying just off my port quarter if remember rightly, as all hell broke loose and the platform was in its death throes. There have been quite a few deaths now by my reckoning by various people involved that night, together with at least one suicide and a few more suspected ones. No one was the same after that night, the sea doesn't give anything away. The third member of the boat managed to jump apparently before the fire ball hit. He swam away and survived. The last time I saw him was at the palace together with 4 of my own crew and 4 crew off another vessel. There were 7 George medals, 2 Pothomously, 4 Queens Medals for Gallantry, The seaman off the Sandhavens boat the last I heard he was working in Thailand. The Sandhaven which I was on in March 1989, had a brass plaque put up in the wheelhouse in memory of the two lost. As shortly after this vessel was sold to North Star, don't know if the plaque went with the ship or not. Ref. the TV summary put out for the 25th. Anniversary. He is one of the two only seamen whose interviews were shown by Scottish TV, the other one was the youngest member of my own FRC crew from Scotland. Some of us must have been too outspoken for public appearance. Was pleased was not shown as had no wish in the first place to be interviewed, was only in respect of those lost that did so. Cheers JS PS Louis who put up about the Silver Pit being used for training purposes and bought I believe by the two ex marines who formed a company, this is who the 3rd member of the Sandhavens FRC went to work for, so would imagine the business grew to the extent as to training foreign crews. JS PPS He didn't work for the same outfit, he worked for Haven Shipping, a subsidiary of Harrisons of Glasgow, who I was going with all things being equal before the Piper Alpha, I worked for Nomis ( Simon backwards) who I believe have connections now in Singapore as received correspondence from some time ago, but was happy to tell them I was now retired. There were numerous Safety Boat Companies in the North Sea, most sane minded people used to better wouldn't touch them with a barge pole, but when needs be and have to keep a roof over your head will take anything. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st March 2015 at 02:16 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. to above and my much earlier account of some of my memories of those days. I don't think I put in the account the letter I received from the Owners which I thought may have contained money for the crews travelling expenses. As I still cant copy and paste will just copy from as is a short missive, but really belongs with the other accounts of July 1988.

NOMIS LIMITED

8th. July 1988

Captain John Sabourn & Crew
    M.V. Silver Pit

Dear John,
    On behalf of the Chairman and Board of Directors of Nomis Ltd., I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincere thanks and appreciation for the magnificent job that you did following the Piper Alpha disaster.
    Word cannot express, fully, just how proud we are, to think that you carried on with your duties in the face of such terrible dangers and that you were able to save over half of the total number of survivors.
    I have had messages of congratulations for you all from Occidental, The Department of Transport, an associated company in Norway and from some of the other Stand By Operators. I have also been told that many of the survivors have been telling the News Media that they owe their lives to the crew of the Silver Pit.
    Once again, can I convey our most sincere thanks and appreciation for conducting such a marvellous rescue mission.

Yours sincerely,

Needless to say this was my final trip with Nomis as had already fixed up employment with Haven shipping whose conditions and ships were in excess of Nomis, The company itself I believe had money invested in from Norway. I wasn't even supposed to be there and was a rush job to get me there, as the master that was supposed to go managed to get back into regular shipping with a Singapore Company. I had sailed with the same bloke when I was an Apprentice and him 2nd. Mate and was later his Chief Officer on the Warkworth ( Daglieshes). A fine bloke and didn't mind doing it for him, and was pleased he managed to get back to a better livelihood. Cheers JS My Commiserations though go to Sean Ennis"s family. Is a very young age to go, to lose 2 members of your crew in such conditions must be soul destroying, and probably had nightmares for years afterwards. Fortuanetly I have been more lucky and although had some very near misses never had to know the heart break and self recriminations of such happening. I knew Sean by just casual word and maybe passing on the various quays in Aberdeen harbour. Believe he gave the sea away either through ill health or otherwise not too long after the disaster, I hope he died peacefully and that his family will always remember him. Rest in Peace. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st March 2015 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

respect to you john and your shipmates how lucky to have proper seamen at hand when they were needed ......best wishes cappy

8. Thanks N/A, j.sabourn thanked for this post