Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Then and Now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Then and Now

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi shipmates, who climbs up the mast to change the light bulb, at sea in a force 8 gale?{no safety harness}
    Silly bhurgers like us Louis, but I must say I enjoyed the challenge and a feeling of achievement when the new bulb glowed, funnily enough they never switched off the power to the light even when it was pizzing with rain and was often plugged into a wet socket, but the bulb still glowed, luckily we didn't! Just imagine the derision from shipmates if we had asked for a safety harness, not that we knew what they were. I remember the deck looking very small when aloft your view changed from deck to sea to deck to sea to deck etc, either way if you fell you were a gonner even the sea wouldn't have been a soft landing. But did we enjoy it, you bet we did, not only enjoy it but getting paid as well, fairground rides had nothing on it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Louis,Ivan
    recall having to change the bulb in the beaverfirs mainmast steaming light whilst we were in Vic docks. The light was right at the top of the jumbo derrick mast, stuck atop a topmast that was really just a pole stuck on top of the mast table, the light being fixed to a tiny plate right at the very top of this mast. We were working the jumbo at the time so I asked the Dockers to have a 10 min break whilst I went up and changed the bulb. They stopped, I went up the mast, got to the cross trees and same that they had cracked away from the mast (must tell the mate about that). Climbed up the telegraph pole like top mast, unscrewed the top of the lantern and was just reaching in to remove the bulb when the Dockers thought they would have a bit of fun with that young idiot up the mast, so they starting working the jumbo. Mast was swaying around like crazy with me hanging on for grim death and shouting me head off at them to stop.
    Eveentually they gave up their fun, I managed to gather enough courage to change the bulb and put the cover back on but only managed to get as far as the cross trees table before me legs gave out and I had to sit down. Dockers were shouting up at me, what's wrong mate, just admiring the view says I.
    Eventually made it back down to the deck but it certainly took a while for me to recover.
    No health and safety in those days, was even up that mast in a gale in the N. Atlantic with a couple of A.B.'s securing the jumbo after it had decided it wanted to walk about.
    rgds
    JA

Gulliver Guest

Smile Re: Then and Now

I don't think much of any Master who would send someone up the mast in a f8 to change a steaming light bulb. I remember going up there once at sea even in tropical gentle zephyrs weather(only) clenching my buttocks after each rung and with my threepenny bit puckering involuntarily.....

But seriously I've changed the bulb many times on watch when they have blown.I merely just changed over the bridge nav lights panel switch of the offending 'blown' bulb from primary circuit to secondary circuit (!)- Presto! so much easier-and much kinder to one's hands......... .and nerves.Then in daylight or calmer weather or in port it was the Lecky who usually went up to change the bulb.

Also I wish now I could have flown home with some of those ancient once-compulsory emergency spare oil lanterns all vessels had to carry,sold with the ship for scrapping;they would have looked lovely in one's home.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Davey, never sailed on a ship with a secondary circuit, our secondary circuit was the oil lamps, which always seemed to blow out whilst being hoisted aloft. Anyway I enjoyed it, and like most young people thought I was invincible, wisdom only comes with age, and age makes you realise what a silly barsteward you had been, but hell looking back on it, I wouldn't have changed one moment of it, good or bad. I can look back on those seafaring days with fondness, not many shore jobs would give you the same satisfaction and memories. I worked with people in later life if they missed the 1735 train home and had to get the 1805 thought it was a major disruption to their life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates Hi Ivan, Hi Davey, the ship' I was on did not have a lecky only had a sparks and chippy . It was part of the job for us on deck on the 12pm till 4am watch somethings you never forget, climbing up the main-mast in a gale in the dark hanging on for your life, was one of them bulb in jacket pocket the juice was on but no shock for me , much better coming down? the mast was swinging side to side, it but its an easy job, not too long to do .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

White lead and tallow, and coming down the shrouds, the chair if you had a suitable bow shackle on board, to keep contact with the shroud. If not an improvised rope line. A burlap sack with 3 holes for the head and arms was the only overall you had. Protective clothing and heavy weather gear was never supplied like it is now. A wad of cotton waste was the means of applying the coating. I can imagine the faces nowadays if one was asked to do the job. When I first went to sea the older seamen used to talk of sailing ships, and we thought they were way behind the times, the same must be thought of our generation by the present one. Cheers John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Then... Ships had Carpenters who were normally Shipwrights in their own right. With the advent of steel hatches, bulk carriers, and doing away with all the spar ceiling wooden deck sheathing and all the other numerous jobs the chippie took on, the owner in his own interests decided it was not necessary. When the shouts from the seafarers who were landed with the chippies job such as ballasting fixing broken door locks etc etc etc. landed back on his doorstep in their wisdom an AB/Handyman was employed at a couple of pound a month extra.This entailed no increase in crew numbers. Now ..there is no such rank. The decline of the British Merchant Service has been a well thought out and insidious plan carried out over a number of years. Reminds me of an old joke going the rounds when up for 2nd. Mate where, the examiner asks the Passenger Liner candidate what would he do if had a problem with a blocked toilet I would call the carpenter out he says to clear. He asks the same question to the Cargo Liner cand, he says I would call out the apprentice to clear he says. The same question to the Tramp ship cand, I would stick my arm down the toilet bowl and clear he says. There is only a bit of satisfaction to know these days most are in the same boat as regards manning. John Sabourn

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi shipmates. hi J Sabourn, Did any one grease the blocks on the derricks at sea?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Photos of me NO safety harness or any safety equipment, no elf and safety.
    On the top mast, hammer and chisel,cutting the old light bracket off to bolt on a new one. I dropped the lump hammer, it just missed my mate Ted on the table and landed in the dockers big bowl of mealy mealy on deck, Lourenco Marques. On GOOD HOPE CASTLE.1959.

Me whitening the span wire between two samson posts on DUNEDIN STAR 1956.
    We never thought about safety, we just did it.if any one fell and was killed it was just part of the job. never had a second thought.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hi shipmates. hi J Sabourn, Did any one grease the blocks on the derricks at sea?
    Every ship I was on Louis, always for the first ports, others as required and always sailing from last port on that particular voyage, wasn't that a common practice on all ships?, As a cadet job we loved it, as it made a change from chipping and painting. Also got stuck in when 3rd/2nd mate if bosun needed help

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast