Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6

Thread: SS Royston Grange

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Royston Grange & Hardwicke Grange

Hi,
    I was on the Hardwicke Grange when we lost the Royston Grange. When we got down to Montevideo we went on Board the Royston.
    Will never forget that sight. The Fire melted the Brass Portholes & they hung like candle wax.
    Regards,
    Robin Clark

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default James MacIntyre

I am the grandson of James MacIntyre, Baker on the Royston Grange. My mother is Fay MacIntyre who accompanied my Grandmother, May, to MV back in 1972. Unfortunately we have only just discovered this page, along with the assorted info relating to last year's Memorial Service. We're now playing catch up with the video and photos that people have been kind enough to post and are very grateful to you all. We had no idea about the Memorial Service and will now strive to keep more in touch with future matters and events.

This was due to be Grandad's final trip before retirement, and Gran never really recovered from his loss.

4. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, N/A, Captain Kong, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default 11th May 1972 - 11th May 2012

SS ´´Royston Grange´´ - 11th May 1972 - 11th May 2012 - Montevideo - Uruguay :

A service of ´´Remembrance & Thanksgiving´´ in memory of the Crew, Passengers and River Plate Pilot who perished as a result of the collision in the River Plate, between this vessel and the MT ´´Tien Chee´´ - 40 yrs´ ago - Montevideo - Uruguay.
    Family members were present, from the UK.

LINK: SS ´´Royston Grange´´ - 11th May 1972 - 11th May 2012 - Montevideo - Uruguay - YouTube

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hall View Post
    I have managed to obtain a copy of the above report.
    within the report it suggests that the fumes from oil tanker had filled the
    air around both vessels and when ignited burnt in a flash,killing eveyone
    very quickly.

the following is a part from the report,which i find distubing.

"On the navigation bridge were found the charred remains of five
    unidentifiable bodies lying in the positions which might have been
    expected to be occupied by the pilot,master,officer of the watch,
    helmsman and radio officer,and the only possible inference is that
    these men must have died almost instantaneously at the post of duty.
    in the case of the other crew members,there was some evidence to
    suggest that there was just time to make some attempt to escape"
    Mike, might you have a link to this report or a copy you could e-mail? I'm the grandson of James MacIntyre, the baker on the RG. I'm doing some research and would be very grateful.

Many thanks and best regards

David Win

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: SS Royston Grange

I also sailed on the old Joya Mcance and the Faraday 77 and 78

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Royston Grange Tribute:

Joined the royston grange 1st trip deck boy straight from vindicatrix jan 1966 just did the one trip on her , as wanted to go on a longer deep sea trip . Wages then were £23 a month +any over time , which we got plenty of on outward journey cleaning the holds ready for the meat carcases in monti . I had the choice of my own cabin in the deck quarters or bunking up in the double deck boys cabin no contest so was on the deck with the deckies , ship was kept spick and span captains inspection once a week , he would come round with the mate and bosun wearing white gloves whoa betide if anything was not as it shoud be , there was an incident in monti the royston was tied up and we were watching the blue star ship argentia star leaving when one of her cables to one of the tugs broke it was like in slow motion as she sideways swiped us , a bit of damage not serious was done , but just before that myself and an ab had just came up from the paint stage for smokeo , so anybody on the royston or argentina remember this incident ? Think ive got the facts right spent the rest of my navy time on old tramps went round the world had a great time met some great characters did get into some unbelievable situations (like half the crew ended up in prison for 3 days in manzenello in mexico ) but thats another story , so to all ex merchant navy lads what a fantastic experience we all had and if I had my time again id be the first out of the blocks to do it all over again cheers woody

9. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Woody.
    Welcome to the site, hope you stay on board, you should post all your ships names plus years served, on site, you never know who on here sailed with you, there have been quite a few old shipmates meeting up on site.
    Plenty of chatter and she's full of good shipmates.
    Cheers Des and a Merry Xmas to you and yours.

redc.gif

11. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forty-three years ago today the commemoration service took place to those lost from the Royston Grange. Have just found a copy of the service sheet from The Church of all Hallows at Tower Hill, where it took place.

Royston-Grange.jpg Royston-Grange-II.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Stv rs:

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Hi Cynthia,

George Boothby, 55, Master: was a resident of my home town, Barry Dock, Barry, S. Wales.

His local church, St. Paul's has a similar window to all Hallows, London, dedicated to the memory of all those from and of Royston Grange.

Thanks for: https://plus.google.com/photos/11774...129?banner=pwa

Attached tributes.

My last visit home to Barry was in April of this year, to do with the paddle steamer Barry and Gallipoli etc. Did take the opportunity to do much more and paid a visit to St. Pauls. The main church is not in a good state and services are being held in an annexe. I fear for the future of the church and maritime artifacts and have commenced a contingency recover and preserve plan for the future.

To much to write now, re-iterate: George Boothby, 55, Master: was a resident of my home town, Barry Dock, Barry, S. Wales.

His local church, St. Paul's has a similar window to all Hallows, London, dedicated to the memory of all those from and of Royston Grange.

K.

Latest pics:

DSCN0384.jpg

DSCN0385.jpg

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 8th June 2015 at 09:43 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Duquessa 56-57

Hi did two trips as Junior Radio Office with Marconis on the Royston Grange early 1970 and remember the name Ron Platt. Let to join the RFA for a further 5 years before emigrating to Bloemfontein in South Africa.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6