Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Good reads

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Good reads

Hi, As an avid reader of Naval History I thought I would share the details of a book I read the other day about the 'Battle for the North Atlantic' during WW2. Well written, very detailed and easy to read, the book details the sacrifices made during this conflict. Based also on the PQ17 and PQ18 convoys out of Scapa Flow. Name of book: 'Bitter Ocean'-Battle for the North Atlantic by David White. Trust you enjoy the read.
    Raleigh
    Aotearoa

2. Likes Trader liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Good reads

Hello Raleigh
    Always nice to get new Book titles here and I am sure as you are one that reads a lot ,this one will be worth getting,i will look into it
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You are most welcome. Yes, something I do enjoy especially books about those gallant souls who served on the convoys to Murmansk. One of the books we had for English literature at school was the 'The Cruel Sea' by Monsarrat, my all time favourite other than HMS Ulysses by MacLean...however I digress! The other book I meant to send was "Atlantis"--The Story of a German Surface Raider by 'Ulrich Mohr as told to A. V. Sellwood. Mind bending true story well put together.
    Cheers
    Raleigh

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

'The Cruel Sea' by Monsarrat
    Also one of my all time favourites plus the Movie which wasn't at all bad as some Movies are when trying to copy a good Book!
    Cheers
    Senior Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

7. Likes Keith at Tregenna liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

One book I found good also is? Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat. ISBN 978-1-58574-240-0. About Salvage tugs and near the end he talks about the RFA Samsonia tug, which was the sister tug to the one I was on the RFA Warden. Read another book about a German Raider but can not recall the name or author as I tossed it into the gargage bin. Was suspiscious of the tale but when he wrote about the captain getting the crew running from port to starboard on command to rock the ship to get it of a reef done me. Who knows the author might be a member of this site LOL.
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Les Woodard View Post
    One book I found good also is? Grey Seas Under by Farley Mowat. ISBN 978-1-58574-240-0. About Salvage tugs and near the end he talks about the RFA Samsonia tug, which was the sister tug to the one I was on the RFA Warden. Read another book about a German Raider but can not recall the name or author as I tossed it into the gargage bin. Was suspiscious of the tale but when he wrote about the captain getting the crew running from port to starboard on command to rock the ship to get it of a reef done me. Who knows the author might be a member of this site LOL.
    Les
    Just came across this post of yours and had to reply.
    HMRT Samsonia, later RFA Samsonia, was one of the rescue guys my father commanded during WW2.
    If you Google "RFA Samsonia", on the RFA history website, there are pictures of her, one showing her in WW2 guise with a deck gun mounted forward.
    Rgds
    J,A.

11. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Although many of you will know that my MN books are available on Amazon, you may not be aware of my audio books, as these are available only on my website www.ianmmalcolm.co.uk/

It took me many months to record these books and my reason for doing so was to cater for those with impaired vision.

I have master copies of all the CDs and, when an order is placed, reproduce those required. In other words, it’s ‘print on demand’, and I send them by post.

The Royal Alfred Seafarers’ Society bought all six of my MN books, and a good report was subsequently received.

Hoping this will be of interest.

Best Wishes

Ian

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks for that John and I altered it to RFA Warden and got some good shots of the old tub. My cabin was the most forward porthole on the Starboard side next one was the alleyway followed by the crews mess which when crewed by the nave was the crews sleeping quarters. Had a compliment of around 32 when I was on her and believe she carried a crew of around 60 with the navy. She is the one that entitled me to the Armed Forces vetran badge for rescues while on her. So much water under the keel since those days hey
    That's the way the mop flops.

My thanks to Brian for this site.

15. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Raleigh Smith View Post
    Hi, As an avid reader of Naval History I thought I would share the details of a book I read the other day about the 'Battle for the North Atlantic' during WW2. Well written, very detailed and easy to read, the book details the sacrifices made during this conflict. Based also on the PQ17 and PQ18 convoys out of Scapa Flow. Name of book: 'Bitter Ocean'-Battle for the North Atlantic by David White. Trust you enjoy the read.
    Raleigh
    Aotearoa
    Thanks for the info' I will read it with interest, My home is in Halifax Nova Scotia although I'm originally from Chester England. The Battle of the Atlantic is very much a part of Nova Scotia recent history, the HX convoys were mustered here, in the Bedford Basin, and the Royal and Royal Canadian Navies had a very large presence in Halifax.
    I'm attaching a photo of HMCS "Sackville" a corvette which is now part of Halifax Maritime Museum, 'I believe she is the only one left'. She was very active during the Battle of the Atlantic and has one U Boat definite and one probable to her name.
    If you ever find yourself in Halifax the Museum is well worth a visit.
    John.
    Attached Images Attached Images

17. Thanks Keith at Tregenna thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

was in Halifax every 6 weeks or so in 1967-68 for nearly a year. Never knew of the museum there mores the pity, might have kept me out of the Captains Table , think it was the name of the pub or restraunt. Used to load there for the Windward Islands and as far south as Trinidad. JWS

19. Likes cappy, John T Morgan liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast