Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Home trained nurses

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Home trained nurses

This is the real reason that there is a shortage of home trained nurses in our hospitals, this is why we import so many from abroad,kt

80,000 UK students are told they can't train as a nurse | Daily Mail Online
    R689823

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Home trained nurses

keith when i was in the intensive care coming out of a coma holding hands with a young indian nurse who looked after me very well they are all very dedicated nurses 12 hour shifts and on their feet all the time never left your bedside and to think the government are trying to class them as illegal immigrants to me that is disgusting to treat them like this? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am in full agreement John, but surely we should be able to help our own kids into the profession. I cannot fault my treatment in our local hospital, and most of the nurses are foreign, and brilliant, but as said they should be able to train our own as well. If this is happening in all apprenticeships its bad news. kt
    R689823

5. Likes robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

that is the thing about this country Keith they never think about tomorrow i put two of my sons through their apprenticeships and it paid off for them another son at school until nearly 20 he is well up the ladder at Maersk shipping all good earning jobs the other son earns as much as 27 pound an hour i told them the same as my dad told me work for what you want? i worked from 12 years old? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It might be a very old fashioned view of the National Health Service but I think one of the biggest problems is now that it is run by accountants and managers but found there early training in the supermarket industry it's a shame that we don't have the clinicians managing like we had many years ago I think they make a much better judgement call although probably spend more money
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The problem with nursing shortages can be squarely put at the foot of the Labor Party.

Our Labor party here in Oz but copied by yours. Or maybe the other way around, who knows.

In mid 1985 the training of nurses in hospitals came to an end here in Oz.
    They are now trained in the university system.

But there in lies the problem, to get into nursing they have to have a high secondary school rating.

This prevents many who would make excellent nurses, but did not do so well at school ,from entering the profession.
    So we have to import.

We get a good number here in Oz from India and other countries , but before they can nurse they have to go to a training course to ensure they are up to local standards.

The Uni course has the highest attrition rate of any course, first year at my uni we took in 240 of which at the end of 3 years 80 graduated, as a result they now have to do a four year course, two at Uni, then one in a hospital as a trainee, then none more at uni before they can gain a place in the system.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes Keith Tindell, robpage liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    It might be a very old fashioned view of the National Health Service but I think one of the biggest problems is now that it is run by accountants and managers but found there early training in the supermarket industry it's a shame that we don't have the clinicians managing like we had many years ago I think they make a much better judgement call although probably spend more money
    Rob
    If you look into it you will see that the percentage of non clinical staff employed by health trusts almost equals that of clinical staff, which in these days of computerised records etc. is stupidity.
    Rgds
    J.A.

11. Likes Keith Tindell, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Rob
    If you look into it you will see that the percentage of non clinical staff employed by health trusts almost equals that of clinical staff, which in these days of computerised records etc. is stupidity.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    NHS is the 5th largest employer in the World
    total employees 1,700,000

doctors 106,131
    nurses 307,490
    GPs 33,921

GP SUPPORT 75,476
    INFRASTRUCTRE 163.845
    CLINICAL ADMIN 313,115
    ST & T 132,673

Sourxce NHS digital 9/2017

currently 50,000 vacencies
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

said this many times on here we are taking in up to a million extra people every 3 years pay has bean frozen by government for the past 5 years do the math nurses cannot afford to work in their profession nurses from other countries most live on site at the nurses home and still just about manage throwing money at the NHS is not the problem throwing extra people is? jp

15. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Every weekend in the major papers here you will find das inviting nurses to consider nursing in the UK.

My sister tells me in the UK papers are das asking UK nurses to come to Oz.
    Bit of a roundabout, but the fact is not as many now go into the medical profession as years ago.

Training time, particularly for doctors and paramedics is long, the course hard and the attrition rate high.

Melbourne Uni, one of the major medical unis here for a ten year period, 2004 to 2014 failed to fill all student places, such was the lack of interest.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast