Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Asbestos and ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Asbestos and ships

The divers used large lumps of plastercene to seal the stern tube, the gland could then be pulled back and repacked on the ships that I was on,
    Lignum Vitae was also used on the rudder pintle bearing.

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Never sailed on a ship with a Stern tube that had a Lignum Vitae seal, Sailed on ships with Lignum Vitae stern tube Bearing and a cast brass liner over the shaft and a gland packing & stuffing box. Have changed many a windlass brake bands. Even on older tonnage the lining was a product called Mintex,
    May not have been the stern tube Lewis, you're no doubt correct it was the bearings, it was a long time ago. I remember Mintex now used on the windlass, but mostly on the coasters I sailed on

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Lewis McColl Guest

I think one of the reasons they came away from lignum vitae was simply it was becoming difficult to source. One good thing about it was no chance of causing pollution due to the outer seal leaking oil.

from Wiki link.

The wood is obtained chiefly from Guaiacum officinale and Guaiacum sanctum, both small, slow growing trees. All species of the genus Guaiacum are now listed in Appendix II of CITES (the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora) as potentially endangered species. Demand for the wood has been reduced by modern materials science, which has led to polymer, alloys and composite materials that can take lignum vitae's place.

6. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5