Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Thread: trecarne

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Part of time at sea

#67 The beechwood you sailed on was prior to Beechwood the ore carrier. If it was John I Jacobs it was not in existence as such in 1972. Beechwood the ore carrier was purchased by JIJ from another company and renamed Beechwood. The only two tankers that JIJ had in 1972 were the Laurelwood and the Hollywood, plus another big super tanker just built and laid up one of the Norwegian fiords which never carried a cargo for JIJ, and was the reason I served a year on tankers as the supertanker was supposed to be Jacobs future and I was lead to believe mine, and I believed at the time was the downfall of JIJ due to the down market of oil at the time. Believe The Beechwood I sailed on was the old Aldersgate or Bishopsgate or something similar. JWS. PS John I Jacobs. Ships when I worked for them were the Beechwood, Cherrywood, Rosewood, ( Bulker) . Laurelwood, Hollywood, both clean products carriers. If you were working for a different company then those ships won’t mean much to you. Probably you are thinking of a different company as believe you were in Haines Nourse. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd May 2018 at 09:49 AM.

2. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: trecarne

Peter Underwood was an obnoxious person, full of airs and graces.

Watkins was just evil. He had very peculiar eyes and would sit the saloon talking with one eye looking at the person he was talking to and the other looking at other people ! He talked with his mouth full , spluttering his food out ! He used to pull out his false teeth and pick at them. The C/O , Chas. D. Abbott detested him, and would not go in the saloon until he had left !

On the next trip, we had a queer Junior App. He shacked up with the galley boy. I had a record player and large collection of records, and one evening Lofty and I came off watch to find him ( he refused to work watches ) playing my records and dancing with the galley boy in our study. The Ch. Steward complained to Watkins about the galley boy forever dodging,and we complained about the other App, but he did nothing.

We loaded up grain Portland, Victoria and the Junior App was put nightwatchman. We finished loading one evening , and the pilot would not sail us in the dark, so we were supposed to go at 07.30.being called at 07.00.

At 7. 50 Lofty and I were woken by the C/ O ( another obnoxious character called Dodson ) bursting into our cabin , shouting " Where is he ? Where the f*** is he ?"

Turns out the junior App and the Galley Boy had jumped ship, and taken all the ship's keys with him. We could not open the galley, the chartroom and the wheelhouse ! We had to get a locksmith, and eventually sailed at 15.00 hrs.

The next day, Watkins called me to his cabin where Dodson and he accused me of knowing that he was going to jump ship. He proceeded to log me for it !!!

When we got back to the UK , the Superintendent Captn. Lloyd came on board. He came to see us and said Dodson and Watkins had made a bad report about me. At this Lofty Ward went up the wall, and told Captn. Lloyd exactly what had gone on, telling him to speak to the Ch. Steward. Also the Ch. Steward's nephew was the Catering Superintendent, and of course, I was backed up by the Ch. Steward. Captn. Lloyd then told us to go on leave and he would investigate the matter further.

After I had been on leave for a week or so, I got a letter saying I had been awarded a Certificate of Merit of my 2nd year exams, in addition to the one for my 1st year exams. This was signed by Captn. Christopher the Senior Supt. and Company Director. At the same time I saw that the ship had sailed from Leith where we had discharged the grain.

I 'phoned the Office and asked what was going on , as I had left my gear on board, and wanted to know what was happening to me. I was told to go to Falmouth where the ship was going for dry docking and repairs to pick up my gear; and that my indentures had been cancelled and I had been promoted 3/0. I subsequently learned both Watkins and Dodson had lost seniority over the matter, and the log entry had been expunged.

So there you have the reasons I refer to Watkins as a horrible little fat man.

ATB

Laurie.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd May 2018 at 10:06 PM.

4. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Laurie Ridyard View Post
    Peter Underwood was an obnoxious person, full of airs and graces.

So there you have the reasons I refer to Watkins as a horrible little fat man.

Laurie.
    We have all sailed with obnoxious and undesirable shipmates, but I find it unwarranted to name them out of consideration for their families who may at some time visit this site seeking information about their forebears
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th May 2018 at 10:06 PM.

6. Thanks Captain Kong, Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Colin Wood, vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Part of time at sea

Ref to # # 63 referring to a previous post should read # 62 and not 67. Hit wrong button. JS

8. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    We have all sailed with obnoxious and undesirable shipmates, but I find it unwarranted to name them out of consideration for their families who may at some time visit this site seeking information about their forebears
    If anybody came on here , looking for info on S.O. Watkins; I would tell them exactly the same.

I forgot to state...

I was put 3/O of M.V. " Trevean " and we went on charter to Nedlloyd, finishing in Colombo, Ceylon. Whilst we were there, a P & O liner came in from Aussie. The junior app. who had jumped ship was on her being sent back to the UK D.B.S. He came on board the " Trevean ", much to my surprise.

I asked him why he had jumped ship. He said his father, who was an Engineer Supt. for a trawler company in Macduff; had forced him to go to sea and he had planned to jump ship in Aussie. He thought it was one big joke. I asked him what he had done with the keys, and he said he had dropped them in the drink as he was going down the gangway.

Laurie.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Maben View Post
    Hi Laurie what year were you on the Trecarne I was on her 1970 j.o.s.R874850 ronnie
    I was a Deck App on M.V. " Trecarne " from March, 1960 to March , 1962.

ATB
    Laurie.

10. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#67 Dropping his keys over the side was malicious and he deserved any and all punishment going. If he knew the hardship he was putting his so called ship mates into alone he would have had the decency to at least hand them in. The hours I have spent sorting out keys and cutting new ones myself for new crew members must run into many weeks work. He was a poor specimen is all I can say. Well worth rid of . I would tell him that to his face also. I would have helped him down the gangway. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th May 2018 at 08:12 AM.

12. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If anybody came on here , looking for info on S.O. Watkins; I would tell them exactly the same.

Laurie.
    Guess we're morally different, guess the man may be dead by now and unable to defend himself, nuff said

14. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Guess we're morally different, guess the man may be dead by now and unable to defend himself, nuff said
    So you avoid the truth ?

Laurie.

16. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

So you avoid the truth ?

Laurie.
    No Laurie I certainly do not avoid the truth, but I honestly don't see the point in hurting innocent parties feelings who may be related to the person you may have a grudge against whether it be justified or not, but you have your way of doing things, I have mine. That's all from me.

18. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Likes Bill Cameron, N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by trecarne74 View Post
    anybody sail on the trecarne, did 7 month trip 73/74 when she was p&o gcd. great lads, where are you all. glenn.
    I sailed on her to the states as an apprentice in the 60,s

20. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 LastLast