Thread: Shaving kit

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shaving kit

I would hazard a guess that when most of us first went to sea our shaving kit consisted of shaving brush, tin of shaving soap and a Gillette metal razor holder along with a pack of spare blades and a bottle of Old Spice after shave lotion. Then along came disposable razors or those with replacement heads and these had names like "Mach 3", telling us they gave us the best shave ever. Old spice was replaced by Brut, with Henry cooper telling us to "splash it on all over". Come forward to today and men's shaving products are now "men's grooming products" with foam or gel to moisturise your skin, after shave is now called eau de toilette or some such stuff and we are told that by using many of the brand's available we would not only have a body akin to Adonis but we would be irresistible to gorgeous women who would be falling over themselves to be with us.
    What for.
    Wearing the stuff my daughter's have brought me for Christmas and birthday presents over the years, I have never had hordes of women falling over themselves to be with me, the best I ever have had is wifey telling me "for once you smell decent" the implication of which I won't go into or discuss with her (spare bed is bloody uncomfortable).
    Electric razors if you used them, were o.k. but it meant carrying adapter plugs as well as charger's along with you always assuming the ships voltage met your razors requirements.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    P.s. must congratulate Liverpool F.C for their stunning 4-0 win over Barcelona last night, even though as a Man. Utd supporter of grieves me to see Liverpool doing so well whilst my lot have struggled badly over the past few years.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shaving kit

I’m with you on your post with the one exception, I still use Old Spice, have never found anything to better it for me
    Bill

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cameron View Post
    I’m with you on your post with the one exception, I still use Old Spice, have never found anything to better it for me
    Bill
    Bill I agree, I currently have three different varieties of it just now. Some of the other stuff "designer label" is outrageously expensive.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P.s. must congratulate Liverpool F.C for their stunning 4-0 win over Barcelona last night, even though as a Man. Utd supporter of grieves me to see Liverpool doing so well whilst my lot have struggled badly over the past few years. Yes the type of football we all want to see John, Not just because I support L.F.C. Barcelona are cheats watch any game where they have to put in a shift to get a result the whole side are the same if they can get an opposition player a yellow or even better a red card they will go for it. I was watching Barca players rolling around like shot ducks We had the last laugh L.F.C. Where brilliant as they have been all season. Thanks John Terry.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have used an electric razor ever since I bought my first in Port Said back in 64.
    Had a number of new ones since then.
    Tried a number of after shavers but none as good as the old fashioned G&T.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Doc Vernon, Bill Morrison liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will also go along with JA and the Old Spice,there is naught better!
    Yes the old Razors and Brush etc were the call of the day then,however i also used a Cut Throat at times but was carefull not to use it too often at Sea. LOL

Changed to a Phillips Electric after but found that it did not do the job ,so threw it away,and carried on with the old Razor,actually although i dont use it nowdays (Bearded Now) still have it somewhee i know,i did see the old Brush just the other day!

I now only use a Battery Beard Trimmer,which i find really good! Braun.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    I still have my old razor and brush in the bathroom cabinet just in case we run out of electricity; so far so good, now use an electric razor the fourth, I still have the others in a box somewhere, as for Old Spice I have never used anything else, my wife wouldn't have it any other way says she can swoon over me after I have had a shave.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

still got the badger hair shaving brush but an old saloon steward used to drink old spice when his tab was stopped? yes the 7 o clock blades you cant get them anymore? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    still got the badger hair shaving brush but an old saloon steward used to drink old spice when his tab was stopped? yes the 7 o clock blades you cant get them anymore? jp
    No John, think they went to international times and are now the 1900 hours ones.
    Have not seen shaving brushes or even the old style razors anywhere in the shops.
    All you see now are the disposable ones and shaving 'gel' what ever that is.
    But there are still some barbers where you can get the old fashioned cut throat shave,
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 11th May 2019 at 06:45 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller