Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Benefits ups and downs.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Benefits ups and downs.

Take at least one. Of the sayings from the “Wisdom of Thomas Sowell “ I think he could sum people up very well, politicians especially.

1. No society ever thrived because it had a large and growing class of parasites living off those who produce.
    2. The next time some academics tell you how important diversity is, ask how many conservatives there are in their sociology department.
    3 Too much of what is called Education is little more than an expensive isolation from reality.
    4. The welfare state is the oldest con in the world. First you take people’s money away quietly and then you give some of it back to. Them flamboyantly.
    5. I have never. Understood why it is greed to want to keep money you’ve earned, but not greed to want to take somebody else’s money.
    6. Much of the social history of the Western World, over the past 3 decades, has been a history of replacing what worked with what sounded good.
    7. It is hard to imagine A more stupid or more dangerous way of making decisions than by putting those decisions in the hands of people. Who pay no price for being wrong.
    8. One of the consequences of such notions as. Entitlements is that people who have contributed.nothing to society feel it owes them something, apparently just for being nice enough to grace us with their presence.
    Thomas Sowell.
    I’m sure you can find something in those few eight sayings to cover most arguments.
    I think number 6 and 7 cover part of the answer the. Shortages in Naval and other defence essentials. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th February 2019 at 12:23 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Benefits ups and downs.

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Take at least one. Of the sayings from the “Wisdom of Thomas Sowell “ I think he could sum people up very well, politicians especially.

I’m sure you can find something in those few eight sayings to cover most arguments.
    I think number 6 and 7 cover part of the answer the. Shortages in Naval and other defence essentials. JS
    ###well i guess this country of ours meets all the numbers on that site from 1 to 8.....the word benefit is the most wrong name given to social help ...assistance is the correct word to me ......before any one blows a fuse ......i am not against any assistance given in needy causes but a benefit to me is a completely different thing altogether.....how often i have heard the words ......i will get my benefits... from those who have contributed nothing ......surely public assistance is the correct term it sounds what it is assistance ....this is reminicent.of a conversation on shields pier 3 years ago ...there was 3 guys in there perhaps late 40s fishing i got chatting and said do you come often ......two of them said oh nearly every day in the summer ....i said no jobs them lads ....jeez no said one me and him have bad backs this after casting 40 0r 50 yards out into the tyne we are on our benefits .....and him pointing to the other one going before a tribunal soon to get his benefit as well ......it rally did piss me off ....are you on out he said ....i turned to walk away and said no i work for social services..one didnt look happy at all and another said is that in shields then.....i walked away and turning saw them in a huddle .....serves the bums right the country is full of then
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th February 2019 at 10:58 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Current update on the state of the British Merchant Navy

I get PIP personal independence payment , helps toward the extra costs of disability , tough one to get though , a lot fail
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Rob and so you should, that is what the system was set up for to help those financially who need it through no fault of their own.

5. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###well i guess this country of ours meets all the numbers on that site from 1 to 8 ......i walked away and turning saw them in a huddle .....serves the bums right the country is full of then
    It used to be called National Assistance. The basic idea is exactly to help those in genuine need, but has been abused by many for years now.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I get PIP personal independence payment , helps toward the extra costs of disability , tough one to get though , a lot fail
    Rob, you are more than entitled, but because of the abusers the system is designed to get people off it regardless. Faint hearted genuine applicants dont stand a chance, blatant abusers can still win out.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th February 2019 at 10:59 PM.

7. Thanks cappy, robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Ken, I can see the point in that, money speaks bigger volumes than any thing else.
    But what happens with ships of other nations trading with EU, are they treated on profit, cargo or what else?
    John you can get a general idea with this link :-http://www.ehrlawoffice.com/publications/Cyprus%20Shipping.pdf
    Last edited by Ken Norton; 5th February 2019 at 01:02 PM.

9. Thanks j.sabourn, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ###well i guess this country of ours meets all the numbers on that site from 1 to 8..i walked away and turning saw them in a huddle .....serves the bums right the country is full of then
    Cappy, if you saw tonites local news, you may have seen justice handed out. Guy from Shields given 3 years for fraudulent claims, he also claimed double using a false ID. Took 100K in 4 years; turnedout he was wanted for burglary also.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 5th February 2019 at 10:59 PM.

11. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is the same the world over, the genuine cases find it hard to get what they are entitles to whilst the bludgers know all the lurks and perks and where to find them.

I know dealing with the elderly and various challenged people you have to jump through hoops to get your entitlements.
    Get a good GP or lawyer and you can get all manner of 'benefits' no one else can.

As to the Red Ensign, I asked the skipper on one cruise why the ship we were on was registered in London while all the others in the fleet where Hamilton in Bahamas.
    He told me that by having just the one in London they could continue to fly the Red Ensign on all the companies ships.

One law for one and do not worry about the others.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

13. Thanks Tony Taylor thanked for this post
    Likes Ken Norton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Norton View Post
    Yes Rob and so you should, that is what the system was set up for to help those financially who need it through no fault of their own.
    A lot criticize ATOS and Capita , the assessors for being too harsh , but it was OK for me , no interview required
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

15. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    Cappy, if you saw tonites local news, you may have seen justice handed out. Guy from Shields given 3 years for fraudulent claims, he also claimed double using a false ID. Took 100K in 4 years; turnedout he was wanted for burglary also.
    #####i feel in a case of that magnitude he should never ever get a so called benefit in his life again.....cappy

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast