Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Global Warming

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Global Warming

I for one believe we are this day getting a dose of Global Warming, The experts are telling us sea levels will rise the world over by one point five meters by the year 2025 And temperatures will raise on average by 5 degrees summer and winter, The disasters we have had around the world this year lay testament to this theory. Who would have predicted the Californian fires that has wiped the place out and cost over 1,000 lives in the states flooding up to record levels, Michael Gove He became Secretary of State for Environment who was appointed back in June 2017. Said openly on sky news last night before you purchase a property check it isn't on a well known flood plain. This is a very serious problem for the world indeed and will unless a few things are done which I think is to little to late can only get worse. God help our youngsters in the next 10 to 20 years I dread to think of the world they will inherit. Regards Terry.
    Last edited by Mike Hall; 29th November 2018 at 04:20 PM.
    {terry scouse}

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: Globle Warming

Agree with all said.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From a solely engineering and scientific point of view the Earth is definitely warming up and the ice caps have some unexplained temperature increases . The Earth seemed to have a natural cycle over millions of years of warming and Cooling and I think that we could Blame It on mother Earth and mother nature or we could accept the fact that we are checking more pollutants into the atmosphere than we have ever done in the past but we talk about the diesel from the exhaust of our cars when we have coal fired power stations all over the USA and china with very little flu scrubbing done . I'm afraid that I have an attitude that we should all be working together and the biggest polluters should be doing the most it's a bit like we're all fixing the spud peeler in the Galley whilst a ship's going down
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yesterday they said by 2070, [ only 52 years away ] the temperature in the UK will increase by 5 degrees,
    They cannot fore cast next weeks weather accurately.

These "Think tanks" have to come up with answers , right or wrond just to justify their existence and keep on getting the money.

Regarding flooding in many places in UK , if water can get away it does not flood, so if you look at all the small ports around the UK which have closed to shipping, the Dredging has stopped.Sand bars are appearing in the rivers and so the water is not running out to sea as it used to do,
    Fleetwood is a good example. They closed the port to the Fishing industry, and to the Roll on and Roll off ships, and then stopped dredging, the back of my house there, is now full of sand, where once deep sea ships berthed. all silted up. Last winter St Michaels up the River from Fleetwood, was flooded, as the rain water could not get away quickly due to the sand bars, Just like putting a cork in a bottle. it cannot get out and so the river overflows into the streets,
    It is cheaper to dredge all the rivers than to have a flood, But the authorities find it cheaper not to dredge and let the home owners pay for it.
    It is a Big Con and everyone is falling for it.
    Regarding bush fires, a lot of it is caused by idiots, either maliciously or by carelessness with smokers or camp fires.,
    we had it here in Bolton when the Moors were on fire, The Helicopter caught two lads setting fire to more of the land to spread it further while the Fire Fighters were busy.

When I was in the Antarctic in 2009, the man from the BAS, told me that it was getting colder, last March at the end of the Antarctic summer, the BAS ship had to abandon the ship that was sailing across the Weddell Sea, as the ice had become over 5 metres , [ 17/18 feet ] thick so they could not break through. and that was after a summer.
    The doom mongers always measure the ice in Summer when there is 24 hours a day sunshine, never in the depths of winter when the temperature falls down to minus 100.

google..............Coldest place on Earth is colder than scientists thought - AGU ...
    https://news.agu.org › Coldest place on Earth is colder than scientists thought
    25 Jun 2018 - Coldest place on Earth is colder than scientists thought. WASHINGTON — Tiny valleys near the top of Antarctica's ice sheet reach temperatures of nearly minus 100 degrees Celsius (minus 148 degrees Fahrenheit) in the winter, a new study finds.

https://youtu.be/cTB7IY4G-HU

as I have said before , 10,000 years ago Boltonistan was under 200 feet of ice, What happened ??????
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 27th November 2018 at 05:32 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With regard to dredging, here on the Island, Newport harbour is silting up, it silts faster in the potato season, when the Arreton valley is very sandy, and when the potatoes are harvested and heavy rain falls, it washes into the river, and then the harbour. The harbour being salt water requires a licence to dredge and then dump the spoil. Why thay cannot catch it further upstream, dredge and put it back on the land, no licence required, no contamination from salt water, too simple i suppose kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In the late 60'sscientists predicted an ice age by the 70's, what we actually got was some of the hottest summers for years.

Latest notification from UN is that Methane levels are rising despite all the action taken to reduce it
    In the early 80' the global population was 4 billion, it is now close to 8 with a similar rise in the numbers of live stock to feed us.

All mammals produce Methane, all that decomposes produces Methane.
    We have old land fill sites here in Oz, now capped, and the Methane produced is being used by burning to run power stations.

Cairns in Far north Queensland had it's hottest day on record yesterday, a place where record keeping began in 1899.

The heads of BHP, worlds largest miner and the head of Morgan industries one of the biggest manufacturing industries wrote to our PM asking him to ignore the Paris agreement and to explain to the people that the concept of global warming/climate change is more political than scientific.

Most of the changes being made here such as the removal of one way plastic bags is based more on economics than any other concept.

NASA claims temperatures are rising to the highest level on record, but they only began keeping such in the 60's

Back in the 1600's there were records which showed droughts across Europe like never seen before lasting over ten years, ships captains returning from the then know oceans claiming weather like never seen before.
    Many, particularly the 'Greens' here in Oz use weather patterns as a claim they are climate changes.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Coal fired power plants manufactured 39% of electrical production in the USA in 2014. 33% in 2015 and 30.4% in 2016.

A you can see by the trend there is a decrease and more coming. Utilities buy over 90% of the coal consumed in the US. Alternate sources of non-coal power cannot be stopped. Management of coal fired plants all over the country are at various stages of planning and building and as they come on line there goes less coal.

The market sets the conditions not the politicians. They can spout off all they want but even if Trump should win a second term that only represents six more years. Possible a life-time to me, but just a drop in the bucket when compared to the long term planning and construction of an alternate generating plants. There's planning, approval; Finance arrangement, approval; Design, approval; construction, approval; and THEN switch over.

Sorry flat-earthers, progress is coming

8. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The NASA Goddard institute confirms that the global temperature has risen 0.8°c or 1.4°f since 1880.

This may not sound like much, but this includes both oceans and land.

Global temp. depends on the energy from the sun. Global temp. is the energy left after energy is radiated back into space. This depends upon the chemical composition of our atmosphere which is being interrupted by greenhouse gasses and the loss of the polar icecaps. It is no small feat to increase the worlds temperature by 0.8°c in a hundred years. Something unnatural (not natural events like volcanos) is happening to effect atmospheric changes.

Scientists have found many ways to determine changes in the earths cycles and I mean way beyond tree rings. One of which is the retreating arctic polar cap have uncovered flints in river beds: covered since they were first formed and crushed by the glacial movement in prehistoric times; flint apparently changes its composition when exposed to air and these have never been exposed. Thus even this simple thing confirms to scientists that there have not been such a temperature change before. There are many, many ways they have confirmed that global warming is real and a threat to the future.

I know I'm flogging a dead horse, but I do sense a slight movement by a couple of y'all towards my views on this subject. Think it over. If you flat-earthers are wrong, our grandkids are in trouble, If this greenie and the scientists are wrong what's lost? Nothing, coal and oil are on the way out what ever both sides say. Just think of the effect of the auto on the horse industry.

I seriously wish you would post scientific reports to back your claims that global warming is a hoax. I swear I will read them. But please no "I read somewhere that.... A scientist said...." Give me red meat, facts, names and numbers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There are only 159 locations in the world (hardly scientific) that measure the amount of C02 in the earths atmosphere. The majority of the stations are in heavily industrialised nations which will skew any results.
    Check https://gaw.kishou.go.jp/wdcss/wdcss.html
    Vic
    PS check Wiki which details a list of scientist and meteorologists which call global warming into question.
    Last edited by vic mcclymont; 28th November 2018 at 08:45 PM.

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

rodney i accept that we as humans even breathing are affecting the earth, but , do you really think that us great all powerful humans can really control it. There are things we can do to slow it down, but control the weather i believe is a step too far for humans, just my thoughts kt
    R689823

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast