Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Age

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Age

As recent remarks about the growing number of users of the site. One must always bear in mind also as to the law of supply and demand. A large percentage of people on site are in advancing years and when have gone, what information they have goes with them. As one gets older one is more inclined to reveal items of interest to the public, which under other circumstances would probably be averse to doing. I am of the opinion unless there is a chance of hurting someone still alive, there should be no secrecy regarding events that a lot on site have experienced. It will be the last chance many of us will have , to leave something behind which may be of use to others in years to come. I am a strong believer the truth will always come out, so have no hang ups about giving it a nudge forward on its way. A lot of us were if not sworn to secrecy on certain matters were certainly brought up to play ones cards close to the chest as regards company business, and a lot of us did, however these were the old days which younger people would not recognise today, as an aside this misplaced loyalty was not returned in a lot of cases when the MN was dismantled piecemeal. You can’t be hanged for speaking the truth. A lot of the old timers on here when they post, we all are liable to learn a little bit more about our past vocation, so don’t be shy. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Age

Indeed JS
    Well said and I fully concur with it all, Spill the beans as the saying goes as long as it hurts no one !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do as many, including myself, have done and put it in writing warts and all.

In time hopefully some one will read it and maybe learn from it, remembering that age is just a number all in the mind.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Spot on. Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What was secret many years ago is now common knowledge, even State secrets.
    Des

6. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des saying that may I say one thing also, as believe you have a more open mind as regards Unions. When I arrived out here to live permanently I had to become a member of the Guild. We were on mainly 6 weeks on and 6 weeks off on a rotation method of manning offshore vessels. On your 6 weeks off you were expected to go to meetings in the case of Fremantle at the P and O Pub in that fair city. One time I attended and the boss man was coming across from Sydney to see how things were and to get a vote on a change to the agreement. At that time we got 1.153 days leave for every day served, he wanted to make it a straight 1 for 1 and took a vote by a show of hands on it. He lost as the members voted to retain. He turned round and said that it was his union and it was going to be 1 for 1. This was the bad side of unionism and never forgot that upstart. It was not his union it belonged to the members. If it wasn’t the fact it was a closed shop and work only came if you were a member , I would of walked out there and then. So I can see benefits and non benefits in most political systems and think unionism has no place in politics. It is purely there to protect workers rights. I can see the same morals as the present leader of the opposition shows and will never vote for him. Maybe a bit off subject. Cheers JS

8. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, we have had similar here in Victoria.
    Four years ago in the election campaign won by Labor the Ambos went on a rampage so we were told.

But it now turns out most of the Ambos were quite happy with the situation but their Union used it as a political weapon to ensure Labor won the election.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to enjoy reading books but now I'm not so keen. I've been with my wife since the mid fifties and I consider myself lucky because one needs companionship and someone to argue with.
    I haven't noticed that there are more people in their eighties now, but it does worry me if people think we are going to be a burden on the state. Many pensioners are struggling and have to choose between eating and turning the heating on. When I turned eighty the government gave me an extra twenty five pence a week to add to my pension which isn't going to make me one of the last big spenders, is it?. I think at eighty three plus one is more understanding and tolerant.
    I have a fixed income with my pensions so I live life around that. Who knows, I could still be around in another ten years, or another day, so it's not really worth bothering about anything, is it?.
    I think one moving into a military retirement village could be a good thing to do if one is bored living a normal civilian life. I find young people can be patronising to oldies like us as they think we haven't lived, even though over the last eighty years we have probably seen a lot more than they ever have or will. People today don't give older people the same respect as past generations used to.
    Oops, here comes the wife, she's a cockney from Stepney and myself being a Scot, I think I'll just start a wee set-to which should liven up the present boredom.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree there Fouro, and i get the feeling that us oldies get the blame for the shortages in the NHS, bed blocking, try to say we are a burden with free bus fares, triple link pension rises etc etc, but they forget we are the generation who are fully paid up with our taxes, and now want what we signed up for. As for arguing with the old Gal, i don't do that any more, i realised in over 50 years i had never won an argument, now i just look at her and tell her she cannot divorce me for what i am thinking !!!, it's only when i let it out of the hole in front of my face i am in trouble, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    I used to enjoy reading books but now I'm not so keen. I've been with my wife since the mid fifties and I consider myself lucky because one needs companionship and someone to argue with.
    I haven't noticed that there are more people in their eighties now, but it does worry me if people think we are going to be a burden on the state. Many pensioners are struggling and have to choose between eating and turning the heating on. When I turned eighty the government gave me an extra twenty five pence a week to add to my pension which isn't going to make me one of the last big spenders, is it?. I think at eighty three plus one is more understanding and tolerant.
    I have a fixed income with my pensions so I live life around that. Who knows, I could still be around in another ten years, or another day, so it's not really worth bothering about anything, is it?.
    I think one moving into a military retirement village could be a good thing to do if one is bored living a normal civilian life. I find young people can be patronising to oldies like us as they think we haven't lived, even though over the last eighty years we have probably seen a lot more than they ever have or will. People today don't give older people the same respect as past generations used to.
    Oops, here comes the wife, she's a cockney from Stepney and myself being a Scot, I think I'll just start a wee set-to which should liven up the present boredom.

Regards from,
    Fouro.
    ###well fouro i guess you could just whip up yer kilt and give her a shock ......lol cappy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast