Thread: I am

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default I am

We have just watched the closing ceremony on the Invictus Games here in Sydney, opened and closed by Prince Harry the founder and patron of the games.

I AM being the logo for them.
    Hopefully some of you may have also watched them.

Unlike the euphoria that surrounds the Olympic or Commonwealth games these are relatively low key, but none the less just as impressive, and in ways more so.

Young men and women in the armed forces of 18 nations, sent to a theatre of war by their various governments.
    Going out as fit healthy whole people, returning broken mentally, disfigured physically, limbs missing, paralysed in many instances.

For so many such conditions would mean an end to live as they knew it, but not for these 500 who do not just live, they live life.

Mental fitness, an attitude that said I will not give in, and determination to live life to the full has seen these people achieve what so many would consider impossible.
    Courageous to the utmost they set out to prove they could reach the pinnacles of their chosen sport.

They set out to become as fit as possible, ignoring the pain barrier pushing them selves to the limit and beyond. Doing it with dignity.

Then came the games, competitors not out to win as in conventional games but to win for their own personal, 'I can do this' attitude.
    Competition where others would assist those less able to complete their task, even to the point of not winning their own race.

One in particular stood out for me, a man with no legs and only one arm swimming. He was the last to finish but as he swam cheered on buy others in the pool as though he was leading. At the end of the race hugged and congratulated by those who had already completed their race.

Wheel chair Basket ball here a competitor fell over but was pulled upright by a member of the other team, a team that was losing.

All of the competitors competed in the same manner as they did in a theatre of war, looking out for their mates.

Courage beyond expectation from these men and women who would not lie down, would not be beaten and remain solid citizens of their countries.
    These people are a group that can only be admired and held in the highest regard, could we do as well?

At this time of year when we remember those who fell we must also consider these courageous persons who also have laid down part of their being for us, so we may continue to enjoy the democracy and freedom we do.

As I viewed this I thought of the bludgers who live off the state, unwilling to do an honest days work, a drag on society.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I am

here here john I have watched the games they are all hero's to me to pick your self up of the lowest times of your life and go for it shows the calibre of some people and of course the medical staff for piecing together what is left both physical and mental health? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They make a show of all the Bums and stiff in my avenue who have a "BAD BACK " FREE CAR AND 20,000 ODD POUNDS A YEAR TAX FREE,
    never worked and never will work, knocking kids out every year, more money, doesn't stop them getting a leg over.
    They should drag them all in and have a Bums Olympics, no play no pay
    The Invictus are TRUE Heroes,
    It was incredible to watch.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 29th October 2018 at 09:04 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When you look at the history of the National spinal injuries centre at Stoke Mandeville Hospital the founder professor gutman had originally looked at sport rehabilitation 4 wounded ex soldiers and that was the Foundation of the Paralympics so I'm all behind the Invictus games if it gives people hope it has to be good
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

5. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All last week there was a documentary, relating to INVCTUS, on TV. three Land Rovers complete with half a dozen veterans in each , driving around the Top End of OZ from Broome across the deserts. and Arnham Land. very tough RUGGED AND HOT conditions [ I have done it so I knew what it was like for them] very interesting.
    each one had his and her problems from Afghanistan from PTSD and one fellow had lost two legs and his sight. he was one of the hardest workers.
    each one was just at home looking at the Bulkhead, not going out, not communicating, But this did them all good, what a difference it made for them , They all became Good Mates , and gave them a new interest in life. They were all the better for it.
    One man said over 48 Veterans of Afghanistan had committed Suicide. This was a good way of wanting to live again.
    Brian.

7. Thanks robpage thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have seen some of this with spinal injuries in the first days weeks and months people are wondering why they've been left like this with no sensation below the waist excetera then they start getting into a wheelchair rugby wheelchair and all of a sudden they start getting competitiveness back and then they find a wonderful charity called backup and then they want to take flying lessons and go skiing when you see people driving themselves forward it's a wonderful feeling
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post