Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10

Thread: Legal Aid for Terror Suspects.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Legal Aid for Terror Suspects.

"War is hell," is part of a speech before the graduating class of Michigan military Academy on 19 June, 1879 by General William Tecumseh Sherman, Commanding General of the U.S. Army [Northern forces].

General Sherman is best known for his orders to the Federal Army to burn Atlanta to the ground. His march to the sea and Savanna, leaving a twenty-eight mile wide swath of destruction, burning every town, village, plantation, farm; destroying all crops and live stock. Then marching to Charleston South Carolina, fortunately sparing this lovely historical city. Then on to Columbia, South Carolina were he laid that capital city to waste.

As well as being the ultimate warrior he was a profound thinker and writer of all his works, the following is a special one.

"I confess without shame, that I am sick of fighting—its glory is all moonshine; even success the most brilliant is over dead and mangled bodies...it is only those who have never heard a shot , never heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded and lacerated...that cry loud for more blood, more vengeance, more desolation."

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney,
    when I quoted General Patten for saying , "War is Hell" that was from the movie, PATTEN.
    I guess the script writers put it in to make it look like it was Patten who made the remark. Hollywood does try to rearrange history at times.
    Thanks for the original story, interesting.
    Cheers
    Brian.

3. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Kong View Post
    Hi Rodney,
    when I quoted General Patten for saying , "War is Hell" that was from the movie, PATTEN.
    I guess the script writers put it in to make it look like it was Patten who made the remark. Hollywood does try to rearrange history at times.
    Thanks for the original story, interesting.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Sadly Brian the media and the entertainment industry put forward such things to the extent that at times it is very hard to find the truth behind the saying or the story.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have it in the back of my mind that there is a book around written some years ago called the History of the World. However if I am wrong there should be one especially one which incorporates the true history of world politics with all its warts an all. A good writer for this would be the likes of James A, Michener who puts the appropriate research in. Starting from the world as covered with 3 thirds water and not the present 2 thirds and the first life forms coming from the sea. The first forms of man appearing in the Middle East and the Dynastys and the likes of China which were there long before civilizations appeared in the Western world. How Britain and the mainly Scandanavian countries opened up sea trade and all the Piracy etc. that went with it. The manner in which several countries such as China was used to the advantages of various now world leading nations. Up to recent times where pre 1939/1945 how Britain was a world leading power in its own right, and how it suited the likes of the US and other continental countries for this world power to be reduced very much so. It would take at least I would imagine 12 volumes of his usual book size to accomplish. Would be well worth it for a true account for reference, this could be accomplished but would have to be kept away from any political or country having any of their private input into. The truth often hurts, but there are far too many secrets kept away from people who are the ones who take all the brunt of bad management, bad people and bad policys. Cheers JS

7. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10