Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Communism

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Communism

Hi Captain, I think the reason these countries were so peaceful - which they weren't really - was that the BIGGEST terrorists were already in power. But I agree we had no right to meddle. What the pollies always seem to forget is that you can't impose solutions on nations. Unless of course you're Saddam, or Assad, or Gaddafi......

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The little history I have read of China, is that they were better off generally with communism than what they had before which was pure and unadulterated serfdom. For those who remember Chiang Kai Shek in Formosa now Taiwan, was a great place for seamen, but he set himself up as a total Ruler, even had to stand up and sing to his displayed image on the screen at the end of any movie or stage performance, exactly the same as one had to do for Mao or the Queen or King in UK. They were all heads of states. Communism is only a word much maligned by the west and has been a very convenient way of having an enemy to blame and hold to rights. Believe it or not we have in the Senate here a member of the Motorists Enthusiasts Party. One could say he was the cause of greenhouse gases, in fact wish someone would and get rid of the useless #it. Cheers JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John, I'm thinking of throwing my backing behind the Purple Tomato Party at the next election.

5. Likes j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    We have just had an election here in N.S.W, doesn't make much difference as to who got in, but it does to the Politicians who lost or were retiring, for the majority of the the ones leaving, if they live to be the average age of 81 they will receive on average off the N.S.W taxpayers,$20 million in pension and benefits each. Meanwhile in Canberra they are trying to find ways to cut the old age pension. And we wonder if a benevolent dictator would be better.
    Cheers Des.

redc.gif

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#34 Reckon he couldn't be any worse Des. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It matters not who is in power, they will do as they want not the people, as at the end of it for those who last the distance, a pot of gold. That pot is the greatest incentive to win the race. Taxes will increase, pensions will be massaged, jobs for the boys will be found and the electorate will chuck one lot out put another lot in, all blood suckers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From about95 onwards nearly all the Officers I sailed with were from ex. Soviet Union countries, Latvia, Georgia, Belarus, Lithuania, Ukraine, etc.
    The Ukraine, Georgia and Belarus lot all had "Russian Federation" passports.
    A number of the middle aged amongst them often use to say their lives were better in the pre Gorbachov era as housing was all State owned and there was no heating costs to pay, there was no such thing as inflation and Pensions were fixed at a reasonable level. They would often say that their parents were much worse off after Gorbachov.
    When I pointed out that would they prefer to go back to the old system where there were food shortages, no chance of owning an Audi, Volkswagen, Toyota car, computer, cell phone, television, refrigerator and to have the opportunity to build and own their own home, eat out in nice restaurants, and spend their nights in night clubs etc., read whatever they wanted to etc. some of them would even say yes they would like to return to the old ways where they would have to give all up that but in return would have a stable life where the central government looked after you from cradle to grave.
    Amongst the younger ones I would get a resounding NO. I haven't spoken to anyone of my pals who are still sailing today with this mix of crew but I wonder how all the different ethnic groups feel today about the situation in Ukraine, must ask them next time I have a pint with one of them {the Brits that is}
    rgds
    JA

11. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I have sailed on a Russian ship with a full Russian crew pre 1966 manning. They were mostly from the Ukraine, very loyal to their country, were paid peanuts as in relation to western countries and would have been below philipino wages. However they were quite happy, most Russian seamen go through Russian naval bases to receive their training. We can scoff at their manning level now, but at least they don't have to go looking for cheap Foreign crews as we in the west who rely on profit margins to keep us going have to do. Any crap the media puts out about the big bad Russian bogeyman I take with a big pinch of salt. I found what I worked and sailed with and that included stewardesses and female cooks, all very friendly and quite aware of the bad propaganda put out about them, they are after all seamen and see the same things we do. As said before if ever the #hit hits the fan again and the likes of the UK and other countries has to rely on a merchant fleet, they are going to be caught up the creek standing in the canoe on one leg without a paddle in sight. All the sabre rattling that the west does about Russia, they should be very careful of who they antagonize in case the Russian people take up the challenge. Have just been watching a UK programme about the first world war, and see 5 million soldiers were enlisted in 4 weeks to join the 250,000 men of the day which was the British Army, Churchill was the First Lord of the Admiralty when the UK declared war on Germany, millions were lost on politicians whims, they should learn in a lot of cases to keep their traps shut. Cheers John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Americans all seem to have a Fear of Russia and Communists.
    They forget that if Russia had not joined in WW2 on our side thousands of Americans would have been killed, Normandy invasion would have been wiped out as most of the German Army was engaged on the Russian front. They lost 40 million dead in WW2.
    So America should be thnkful to Communist Russia,
    On my last two cruises, last year and this year the Americans I spoke to had a dread of Russia. "We should go and wipe them commie berstereds out, " was a common phrase used by Americans.
    Why????
    On Fox News a report that a Russian submarine was in the Atlantic. Shock Horror, they were all talking about it, "Why do we allow them to come into the Atlantic, sink the berstereds."
    I was dismayed at their attitude, Each one had never ever met a Russian, so are they all brainwashed by their government to hate Russians??
    Why is Obama trying to goad Russia into a war over Ukraine.??? He is giving Arms and military support to the Ukraine. WHY Doesnt he stop interfering in europe, it is Not in his back yard.
    E verything Obama touches turns to Rat `hit, He bombed Libya to get rid of Ghadaffi and now IS and other terror groups are killing there.
    He would not back Assad against the Is lams because Russia was backing Assad, [ Oh we cannot work with Russia, they are Commies], So Obama arms the Slams with the latest weapons and vehicles and tanks and IS is formed and is now staomping all over the Middle East and North and West Africa.
    Then a couple of weeks ago on Fox News they were saying Obama is the worst President in American history, some said he is a Mu slim,
    I can critisise America because I pay taxes in America so I like to know where my money is being used and why.
    Cheers
    Brian

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Russians got jittery because we in the West were tempting them into the West and Europe, remember this is right on Russia's border, and they have a deep mistrust of us all , including the Usa. Cast your minds back to 1962 when the USA discovered Russian missiles on Cuba, all hell broke loose. What goes around comes around. But of course that was ok then because it was on the USAs doorstep. I am off to Cuba for Xmas this year( if I am still on the green side of the grass) while life is still fairly stable there, and before the American invasion. Kt

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast