Apr 2013
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

My Days in the Merchant Navy

22 Comments by Dave Francis Published on 17th January 2019 02:43 PM
    My days in the British merchant Navy are long gone, but I often dream of my time in the Royal Navy on a auxiliary vessel and after a bad accident, I took employment on the great passenger and then Cruise Ships? After living in the Northern Territories of Queensland, Australia I eventually ended up marry a United States citizen, as she didn't want to live in England?

At 75 years old, I still dream about the sea, the fresh, clean air and the tranquil ocean most of the time. Many vessels I sailed on from Banana boats, to the older passenger ships as the 'Orsova' of the P & O shipping Lines. Even in my time went on luxury cruises around the world. Once worked on a luxury yacht to the Galapagos Islands and always as a Steward. I left the docks in Circular key in Sydney on a German Lloyd Ship. Stood of the coast of Panama, waiting for cargo over one month on a German rust bucket. Even had the opportunity to work on a Holland American Line ship & of course the great Queen Elizabeth II

I miss many of my friends who were in Hotel Services on Princess Cruises, such as the Pacific & the Island; where I met my future wife. Somebody will remember me from the marriage at the Ventura Club. in San Fernando Valley. I had placed a notice on the bulletin board, offering anybody who would like to join the the party and the address? Two buses turned up for the reception and some for the actual party. With my wife's family & friends and a good portion of the crew, plus the Captain, his wife, Chief radio officer, staff Captain and regular officers, purser, purserettes and a whole host of crew members was a count of 150 ships crew. It certainly was a night to remember & my Mother in Law, who is a very well known realtor, broker & property owner paid for it all.

I had always been a utility Steward, a waiter, a cabin steward, a stateroom steward, bar manager & even an accommodation supervisor on many different ships. On the old Royal Mail Carriers I carried heavy kegs of beer to bars; painted Christmas art of Father Xmas & Reindeer's on the glass around the areas on board. Cleaned out dirty fridges on German ships for Customs & even carried dead bodies to empty fridges on storage flaps. On one ship I was crew entertainment officer and counted the money from the slot machines and spent it on tours for crew members and also arrange General Knowledge quizzes for members of the crew of which they won money prizes or a Booby prize.

So much more of my travels, but most of all I miss the Camaraderie of the boys and girls. For a while, I was able to keep in contact with many of them, but I guess like me their up in age and many are not around anymore? Being retired is not fun, I still help out my nephew when he works on family properties, but my Mother in Law (90) & my spouse (70) forbid me to climb ladders. Cannot stand sitting at home all day, but right now I am visiting my ancestors on the Ancestry Website? I have been working on it, for over 2 years and made a bunch of mistakes. One family member was the High Sheriff of Nottinghamshire? in fact I am not a true Englishman, but a Norman?

The dreams of the sea and all the places I have been, which I would think makes me a World traveler. Even after leaving the Merchant Navy Me and my wife honeymooned in Hawaii and went to England to see my family? Mum and StepDad are gone now; my real Dad died in World War 2.

Even in the remaining years of my life, I still dream of leaving Southampton and the rumble of the engines. The early years of 10 stewards in in bunks on the 'Reina Del Mar' of locating a quiet space under the bridge, to read a book and sunbath. Sitting in our cabins drinking tea or paying the Night Steward to make us Steak & Chips?

But most of all I miss all my friends.

Dave Francis.

2. Total Comments 22

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My Days in the Merchant Navy

Thanks

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Norm Anderson View Post
    Hi Dave
    I am new to this site so I will do a test run before I do an extended post.

Cheers !

Norm ( not Norman , that's legally & officially )
    See you live in Adelaide, been a tad warm there of late according to the news!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi there, could you please tell me the years you were in the Merchant navy please as I am currently searching for info on my grandfather who was in the merchant navy his whole working life and died on his ship away at sea and had to have a sea burial in 1958. I am trying to find out where his service records would be held and also he received a letter from Winston Churchill after world war 2 thanking him for his bravery as their ship saved a lot of people from drowning after their ships had been damaged. I am not having any luck finding who are the right people to contact that would have all this information. I am a real amateur at this.

Regards Karyn

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Francis View Post
    My days in the British merchant Navy are long gone, but I often dream of my time in the Royal Navy on a auxiliary vessel and after a bad accident, I took employment on the great passenger and then Cruise Ships? After living in the Northern Territories of Queensland, Australia I eventually ended up marry a United States citizen, as she didn't want to live in England?.....................................

. Sitting in our cabins drinking tea or paying the Night Steward to make us Steak & Chips?

But most of all I miss all my friends.

Dave Francis.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 10th August 2020 at 10:15 PM.

7. Thanks Mike Hall, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Dennis McGuckin, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3