Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jump to Comments

A Helping Hand

13 Comments by Doc Vernon Published on 22nd August 2018 03:51 AM
    Hi again Vernon,

Today we awoke to some truly great news in our ongoing campaign to save sheepfrom the horror of live export. EmanuelExports has had their licence permanently cancelled by the regulator.One of the world's largest exporters of animals will no longer be able to operate.

This company (and its directors) has been responsible for shipping the majorityof the 200 million sheep that have been sent to the Middle East over the pastforty years. Over 1.5million defenceless animals have died on their vessels – andthrough the courage and compassion of a crewman Fazal Ullah – the world nowknows the egregious suffering that this company was willing to accept fordecades.

My own journey with this company started shortly after joining CEO, Glenys Oogjesat Animals Australia in 2003. It is Emanuel Exports that was responsible forthe Cormo Express disaster where over 5,000 sheep perished, and it was theirshipment that I met in Kuwait City in November that year, on which over 1,000sheep had died. While in Kuwait, I witnessed firsthand the brutal treatmentthat this company was prepared to expose millions of sheep to, for decades.

The directors of Emanuel Exports have been responsible for some of the worstmass death events in the trade and the associated suffering that we nowunderstand so fully. In 2006 we had them found guilty of cruelty in the WAMagistrates Court. We lodged legal complaint after legal complaint against themand generated media exposé after media exposé. And this year, we took this export giant to the FederalCourt on behalf of animals.

Animals Australia has battled this company for the past 15 years, and on eachoccasion that we revealed the suffering they were responsible for, we took themever closer to the brink.

So today, Emanuel's day ofreckoning, has been a long time coming. It has been a David and Goliath battlethroughout many years — and 'David' today has won. They may have had the'power' and millions of dollars at their disposal. But we have been 'armed' bythe glorious kind hearts of our generous supporters who have been prepared toback every courageous and compassionate action we have taken over those years.

As you well know, this is a journey that asks so much of us. It's one that is only for the strong-hearted because the ark of justice is truly long. But I have never lost faith that justice would prevail. That's because every day I am surrounded by the strong-hearted. People like you who share our vision and whose faith in us never wavers — and a team of resilient, committed advocates who I am so proud to call my colleagues.

The fight to end live export continues, and today we are one big step closer.

But for now, here's to the strong-hearted. Here's to you in heartfelt gratitude for sharing our vision for a kinder world.

For the animals,

Lyn
    SAVE THE POOR sHEEP.JPG

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Total Comments 13

Comments

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: A Helping Hand

There was a live Sheep export trade operating from NZ.
    A proposal to close it brought cries of, 'they will not take anything other than live animals'.

The trade was stopped, the countries that took live now take carcasses, though I do understand that for Islamic countries they are slaughtered under Hal al conditions.

To export any live animal in those conditions is one of the worst forms of animal cruelty you could ever imagine.

Given time the trade will cease, problem is though there area number of countries, Brazil is one, who will continue with it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Thanks John Callon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I wonder if the peoples of countries involved in the transport of sheep to the Middle East were made aware of the cruelty involved would come out in their numbers against ,I bet most of them don't even know about this practice,I'm sure if they New what it involves they would support a complete worldwide ban.

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, John Callon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was an article on the BBC news last night on the cruelty to sheep, even in the shearing sheds, where sheep were kicked and stamped on the head, all because of pay per fleece. Cruelty to animals of any kind should be dealt with severely. Yesterdays news here was a youth in Cornwall who kicked a dog to death. I will not print what i would do that maggot , kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was sailing form WA. to the Gulf, we didn't need to navigate by the stars or sat nav, we just followed the trail of dead sheep floating in the sea after a Sheep Carrier had been ahead of us.
    terrible seeing all those bodies.

Lewis McColl Guest

Having seen the cruelty first hand when I was signing off one of UASC ships in Kuwait. There was a sheep carrier discharging and the agents car had to wait for the sheep to cross over the road. I watched in horror as a so called shepherd practically battered a sheep to death. The poor animal was lagging behind the others because it had a broken leg. The driver had to restrain me from getting out of the car, utter bastards.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis McColl View Post
    Having seen the cruelty first hand when I was signing off one of UASC ships in Kuwait. There was a sheep carrier discharging and the agents car had to wait for the sheep to cross over the road. I watched in horror as a so called shepherd practically battered a sheep to death. The poor animal was lagging behind the others because it had a broken leg. The driver had to restrain me from getting out of the car, utter bastards.
    I was working out of Jebel Ali in 85 when there was little there, a chain link fence separated from the desert. It was a long drive to Dubai from there. In the local paper there was a report of a crash on the Dubai road (only two way then)between two trucks, one of them carrying live sheep. Three Pakistanis killed summed their fate up, but very lengthy script about the sheep.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Jim Brady, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They treat some of their people the same way, When I was held hostage for over a month in the Gulf in a revolution I saw them shoot 28 of their country men in the back of the head because they work for an American oil company, and the young ladies who worked in the office were taken up in helicopters and then thrown out. Terrible.
    Human life is nothing to them so an animal like a sheep is even less.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 23rd August 2018 at 10:08 AM.

13. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

In 81 I was mate on a 5 hatch geared bulker. We loaded in Sweden a medical cold store for Jeddah, then onto Bremen, Antwerp and Immingham. Loading such items as a huge weaving loom, sheets of pre printed coca cola and 7 UP tins, trucks, a road bridge, plastic and metal pipes. In every port we were loading equipment marked as dairy equipment for Saudi Arabia. On asking one of the shippers what is was all for he told me it was for a huge agricultural project in the desert whereby dairy cattle would be housed in huge air conditioned milking Parlours and fed on special developed grass that grew in desert conditions,fertilized by the cows effluent. There was even a system designed to capture the methane produced by the cattle and use it to power the facility.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 23rd August 2018 at 11:32 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Bit of a stouch going on here just now.
    Friend in SA tells me that there is concern that some farmers were aware of the cruelty going on but still sold their sheep to the agent.
    If proven it could be the final nail in the coffin of live export.
    I really hope it is.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

16. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Captain Kong, dave moore liked this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast