Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Ships names

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    G'day Mike, yes you are correct about those two doing day trips for the Londoners. Recall as a young sprog being taken for a trip on one. Wonder what ever happened to them?
    John,
    Info on the GSNC

With the emergence of the huge shipping lines, it was inevitable that one would show an interest in the GSNC sooner of later. P&O bought a controlling stake in 1920, but allowed the GSNC to retain its identity.

However, the growth of air travel and the disappearance of general cargo vessels in the 1960s took away most of the GSNC's business, and the firm folded in 1972.
    Cheers
    Vernon
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

2. Thanks John Burnett thanked for this post
    Likes John Burnett liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default USSC Ltd

Quote Originally Posted by Les View Post
    Correct me if I am wrong but was there not a Irish shipping company named Red Hand as they had a large red hand on the funnel. Les
    Hi Les,
    That was the USSC Ltd Belfast.

The Red Hand is associated with a story from ancient Irish history, In ancient times the King of Ulster was elected from amongst the various chieftains, at special gatherings in the Isle of Arran which was then part of the Kingdom of Ireland. Once, when the chiefs failed to agree on the merits of rival candidates, one a McDonnell, the other an O'Neill, it was decided that whichever should first put his hand on the soil of Ireland, should gain the crown. Both immediately set sail, but when they reached the rocky coast, neither could land because of the heavy seas. Determined not to be baulked at that stage, O'Neill made his crew row as far inland as possible, drew his sword, and severing his hand at the wrist, threw it ashore. Thus, at a terrible price, he won the crown."

Cheers
    Vernon

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Red Funnel line for John, & 'Duff Gen' for Vernon

Hey John & Vernon. As Vernon say's the Red Funnel Fleet to Isle of Wight is still going. The ferries to the Island are the most expensive crossing anywhere in the world. Last time I used it from Lymington to Yarmouth the 1/2 hour trip cost around £80-00 for a return ticket with car.
    Now Vernon, 'Duff' means wrong and 'Gen' means info., so I fed you duff gen by not giving full names of Sov & Daff.,.
    As for Ilfracoombe it sits on the Sth West Coast path which now runs from Steart (near Bridgwater) round to Poole via Minehead, the Devon north coast and Cornwall. Started walking it in 2005 and only done 300 odd miles of it. Met plenty of Aussies and Kiwis plus even the odd Sth African, Greeks, Dutch, French and 1 or 2 Germans doing their own blitzgrieg of the path which is 660 miles long and well maintained. Come to think of it I met a girl and boy that resemble your photo in Allatsea Vernon. Bet thats got him worried John. Have a good day down there you 2. Hey Ooh look the sun's shining must be summer today. Mike.

5. Thanks John Burnett thanked for this post
    Likes John Burnett liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Thanks

Hi Mike,
    Well thanks for that explanation mate,should have picked it up though,must be the old Grey matter taking its toll haha!
    Well you never know Mike it may just have been me and the Girl haha!
    Also remember walking along the Pier there,good old days mate!
    Suns shinning here too but its still bleedin cold!! Brrrr!! Nearly time to put the PJ,s on (no not PJ HAHA!) and snuggle up in front of the Box!
    Hope the Seth Africaaaans! haha!! can do something with the Pommies as i am afraid we are going DOWN!! (Cricket that is)
    Have good day mate!
    Cheers
    Vernon

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default P.J.'s

Hey come on Mate .you should be in bed down there. I remember when I never needed P.J's but times change matey. Tho why at our age we need to wear 'em we've 'NOTHING' to hide. Keep the Faith Mate. Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Michael Lawrence;1271]Hey John & Vernon. As Vernon say's the Red Funnel Fleet to Isle of Wight is still going. The ferries to the Island are the most expensive crossing anywhere in the world. Last time I used it from Lymington to Yarmouth the 1/2 hour trip cost around £80-00 for a return ticket with car.

Mike if you yoused the Lymington Ferry you whent with White Link which is the old BR ferry and not Red Funnel I whent over to the Island end of May with Red Funnel £32 return half the price of White Link. Regards Geoge in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by wcrusader View Post
    Yes John Still going strong!

The 10th September 2011 will mark Red Funnel's 150th anniversary, making it one of the oldest British shipping companies still trading.

Cheers
    Vernon

A few small Videos on the line.

http://www2.redfunnel.co.uk/corporat...-history/video
    Hi Vernon & John as you say Vernon Red Funnel are still alive and kicking also do you remember the Red Funnel Tug Calshot also yoused to do the tender runs down river for ships anchored off the Island. Heard tell from a mate of mine she is being preserved in the Old Dock Regards George in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

:
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lawrence View Post
    Hey come on Mate .you should be in bed down there. I remember when I never needed P.J's but times change matey. Tho why at our age we need to wear 'em we've 'NOTHING' to hide. Keep the Faith Mate. Mike
    Hay Mike you speak for yourself hahahahahaha Regards George in Southampton

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=George;1291]
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael Lawrence View Post
    Hey John & Vernon. As Vernon say's the Red Funnel Fleet to Isle of Wight is still going. The ferries to the Island are the most expensive crossing anywhere in the world. Last time I used it from Lymington to Yarmouth the 1/2 hour trip cost around £80-00 for a return ticket with car.

Mike if you yoused the Lymington Ferry you whent with White Link which is the old BR ferry and not Red Funnel I whent over to the Island end of May with Red Funnel £32 return half the price of White Link. Regards Geoge in Southampton
    Hey George. As my mrs say's I couldnt see a bargain if it hit me in the face. Your right of course it's much more expensive than Red Funnel.
    About the other if you show me yours I'll try and find mine. Take care matey Mike.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

P.J\s, what are they????????????????? Think I might have had some when I was about two!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast