Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Wanted: Doeskin Uniform Set

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wanted: Doeskin Uniform Set

John this was a C-1A or a fort boat adapted to carry up to 15 passengers. West Indian Crew the Liberian Flag, the only officers allowed in the passenger saloon was the master the Ch. Engineer and myself as Ch. officer. Any resemblance to a passenger vessel was purely coincidental. Oh we did carry 2 hand guns which was part of my job to fill the documentation every week re rounds of ammunition and other statements to their use. Suppose could of shot a few of the passengers if they got unruly. I had the Humane Killer for the horses and as we didn't carry a cowboy or whatever they call them I was it but insisted I wasn't called such. As regards allowances was getting twice the wages of a British ship at the time and as someone stated on here re Saguenay Terminals no tax as was out of the country during the official tax year, this was in 1967. Also during this time they had the Expo in Montreal and as the British government had stopped all money leaving the uk over 50 pounds or something made me wonder how all the British tourists obviously monied people there were in Montreal. So our Harold was certainly class conscious far to the right of his labour parties left. It was a very edifying 12 months and managed to buy my first car on return to the uk bought it with American Express Travellers cheques. The salesman didn't bat an eyelid. I didn't even drive so the father in law had to drive home until my wife passed her driving test. Maybe it was to clear my conscience for being away for a year, but did it again the following year and the year after, don't know how she put up with it, however everyone was in the same boat unless you were on the liner trades. People on here have said would you do it again, maybe, maybe not, if there was light up the tunnel and you could see the way shipping was going, would be the toss of a coin. Cheers John S

2. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Jack let us know, eventually, how you get on in your uniform search, see how a thread multiplies and sometimes goes off course, a simple question can take you around the world

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Don't know where you are living, but last time I was in Fagins at Cullompton, near Exeter he had all kinds of uniforms and supplies the film industry. Fagins is an antique dealer, you'll find them on the internet
    Ivan, There was a policeman's uniform complete with truncheon handcuffs and bobby's helmet advertised in my local rag last week. I put it to the missis shall I buy it spice things up a bit, Why not she said its xmas. It arrived this morning looks like it is getting wrapped up for my 7 year old grandson Cant do bugger all right. Terry.
    {terry scouse}

5. Likes cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well you've still got your truncheon to play with, won't do as much damage as it used to though!

7. Likes cappy, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Well you've still got your truncheon to play with, won't do as much damage as it used to though!
    #######wellyes ivan but jeez .i think he said he lost his helmet........never mind happy xmas to all ps anyone seen teds helmet.....regards cappy

9. Likes Red Lead Ted, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cappy, We all have a head with no brains, an eye that cant see, And they hang around with a right couple of nuts.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had a set of Doeskin uni.
    I had a deal with the wife that if no jobs were coming my way when I left Brocklebanks, I could return to sea as my job was open.
    My old father in law was up from Liverpool and wanted to repaint the house windows.
    It's cold out there so you can get an old jacket in the cloakroom Dad.
    I retruned from a job(that I hated) and nearly bust out crying.
    Yes you have guest it.
    There he was covered in paint but My 2 green and gold strips proudly showing thro.
    Very sad day that was.
    What could you say.
    Ron the batcave

12. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Captain Kong, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re. back to the origin of this post and young Jack. Jack you are entering on an honest and good career and hope you attain whatever you want out of it. I have a son who often asks me (he is nearly 50) why I didn't advise him on a sea career. In our day was probably a harder life financially and leave wise, and would rather he made his own mind up, as never hardly saw me during his early life. The only advice is the same as I would have given him, do not be in any hurry to get to what a lot of people think is the top of the tree, it isn't. Find your own level in what you are happiest doing, to get to be master of a ship brings a lot of headaches with it and you are responsible for a lot of lives. They come first regardless of the shipowners wishes, you dont have to tell the shipowner this however. Although I should imagine the owners or managers take it upon themselves to try and make decisions for you, be your own man and make your own. At the end of the day in any problems arising re the ship or crew, they will conveniently disappear into the woodwork and you will be left holding the baby. There are good and bad people at sea the same as anywhere else but the sea usually gets rid of the bad naturally so you are left with people who want to be there the same as yourself. The same advice as my father gave me he said wherever you finish up never look down your nose on the working man, he is your bread and butter. He also gave me advice on how to never let your wife know how much you earn, however failed dismally on that one. Being a seaman is not uniforms and gold braid it is going to sea, and anyhow the salt air soon tarnishes the braid. Some shipowners used to insist on uniforms and such, this is again the choice of what ships and what trades you wanted to go on, we had that choice more so in our day than what you have today. I am sure by the zeal and the time you have spent at sea you are still and will continue and take the benefits in your chosen career, the very best to you in the future and don't be in too big a hurry, you have a whole lifetime ahead of you. All the best JS

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty, cappy thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#13.... Speaking of policemans truncheons I had one given to me by a police officer who was also a dog handler in a Middlesborough shipyard, got to be careful how I word this as cappy will misinterpret. It was a souvenir, there had been a hidden presence of police in the yard for days as two of the Clipper boats were in and as most know they were built for Israel and supposedly could be converted to armed merchant cruisers in a short time. Anyhow that was the story, and there had been threats made against hence the police presence and sharpshooters up various cranes. As regards the truncheon was surprised how light they are and must have to put a lot of weight behind to do any damage. Would be more effective I would imagine by poking someone with. I don't know how effective these are in policemans hands, but myself would prefer an 18 inch stilson. Maybe Roger may have some comment on this, although the Australian police are better armed, hope by now the British police are also. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th December 2014 at 06:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. The clipper boats and someone in a post saying they were United Fruit Co. or something. At the time these ships came on the scene I was working for Whitco as some others on here have also. Whitco had management of these vessels as well as others. I was on two that were managed by them the Finnish Wasa and the Temple Hall, the second one had just come back from being under the Australian Flag. I think if anyone going back into the sources of the money supplied to build the Clipper ships such as the Glasgow Clipper may find also that Zim lines also had money tied up in them. I don't know anything about United Fruit or whatever it is called but sound like banana boats to me which would possibly be Fyffes. I do know however as I have stated that there was a threat taken seriously at the time about sabotage on these vessels by the usual mid eastern factions. This was early 1970"s about 73/74. Cant even remember whether the ships were still under construction or not or in for repairs, spent a lot of my time sitting in cabin with this policeman and his dog ( the dog drinking water) drinking tea. He did take me up to the Middlesborough police station one evening however, they had a good bar and recreation room and was quite surprised, nearly as opulent as the Prison Officers bar at Peterhead Prison. For those who know that area. There you are Ivan getting a tour round Britain now. Cheers JS

17. Likes cappy liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2