Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: everards 80s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan all i can tell you about the everard ships at suez crises is that they were tankers, presumably the war time tankers that were originally built for the government but purchased by everards at the end of hostilities with japan

2. Thanks Peter Ormiston thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Everards 80's

Hi Guys,
    Perhaps I can Help, I joined Comben Longstaff as 3/O on the Devonbrook Apr 1980, We were taken over (Owned) by Freds before I left the ship in August 1980. Too big for Fred, the DevonBrook & Durhambrook were both quickly sold on. In late 1982 4 of Freds ships were chartered for the Falkland run. they were Lincolnbrook, Leicesterbrook, Singularity & the Jack Wharton, however the later 2 were dropped fairly quickly as they were not so versatile for helicopter ops & tween deck use + to be brutally frank not so reliable! I went down to the Falklands twice, on the Leicesterbrook 1983 & Lincolnbrook 1984, I'm pretty sure they would have been kept on the run a lot longer, but there was getting to be very little in the way of return cargo. (I have sailed on all 4 of these ships & without doubt the Lincoln & Leicester were the far better sea boats for this kind of run. I have photos from then but they are on another website (Shipsnostalgia). I hope this helps you.

4. Thanks cappy, john gamble, N/A, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes john gamble, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was told a few tall tales by some of the crew off the leicesterbrook re falklands,mainly regarding how much of a nuisance the cranes were,and how the strong room was breached and welded up again using a couple of scrapers as filler !
    Jack myles (give yourself plenty of room to manoeuvre) from northern Ireland was old man in 87 with pete brannigan as mate ,secord was our Sidney , ex fleet air arm. (Capt , the low level alarm has gone off on my gin bottle !)chief was Alan somebody , (not gander !)second oily person was big Pauline with a couple of totally mad cornish men as relief. Mad Erik (wonder if he's still alive !)was cook , so many names and faces now lost.....

6. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: everards 80s

Without doubt the leicesterbrook was a good sea keeper , had a great flare to the bows which definitely helped us when Michael Fish got it rather wrong in 87...took us six days to get from uddevalla to belfast instead of usual 3, so much for checking the timber lashings ,apart from sounding the wells ,no one went on deck for a wee while.....we lost about 2/3rds of the deck cargo with chainsaws having to be used in b'fast to clear the main deck.the window wipers on the bridge were bent to buggery ,thank goodness for the Kent clearview.very aware of only having a single engine and screw ! especially when hearing the odd pan or mayday call.
    Thanks to the dogs on the lids no deck cargo shifted , (unlike the later timber boats like selectivity and the pamela everard,nightmare !plus using webbing instead of wires wasn't really going to work....chafe) but wires parted when we were taking green oggin half way up the foremast.
    All the fun of the fair!

8. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Captain Kong liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Falklands

Sailed with chris bent on leicesterbrook in late 80s.he'd been made up to 2nd mate by then.one red-painted sea boot and one green.....hair down to the shoulders.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Everards did in fact take over Comben Longstaff in 1980 we arrived on the Devonbrook in Egersund in Norway to be greeted by a deputation from FTEverards. I spent a fair amount of time on the Lincolnbrook & Leicesterbrook down to the Falklands & around Europe + the Londonbrook too mainly Denmark & Sweden. Best ships Fred's had, but they were a bit to silly to realise their potential.

11. Likes N/A, john gamble liked this post
    Gulliver Guest

Wink Re: Falklands

Quote Originally Posted by john gamble View Post
    Sailed with chris bent on leicesterbrook in late 80s.he'd been made up to 2nd mate by then.one red-painted sea boot and one green.....hair down to the shoulders.
    Appropriate surname I suspect!
    One red and one green sea boot .Well that's OK as a reminder -as long as he didn't put them on the wrong feet -but he sounds the type of character who probably would !

I suppose the Old Man would have had a lot of sleepless nights-or perhaps took the route to 'oblivion' in the bottle !

13. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Falklands

I was very surprised to read in David's post (#20, of 2012), that there were two 'Ligar Bay's'. I sailed as 4th/3rd/2/E on diesel electric vessel 'Ligar Bay, (built in Leith in 1964) when it was being operated by the Tarakohe Shipping Company in NZ, for Golden Bay Cement of Wellington. Ligar Bay was actually the next bay around the bluff from the Golden Bay Cement Works at Tarakohe, in New Zealand's South Island and I would sometimes walk around there when the ship overnighted at the cement loading berth.
    The ship operated in NZ from 1964 to 1979, when an Everards crew came out to NZ and took her back to the UK for service with Blue Circle Cement for a few years before she then went to the Caribbean, where she was blown ashore in hurricanes on two occasions, finally being scrapped after the second event. The propulsion plant was 2 x English Electric 8RK engines driving DC generators which drove the propulsion motors. When in port, one main engine/generator was used to run the bulk cement cargo discharge machinery.
    When light ship this vessel could roll something terrible. In Cook Strait one night, after leaving Wellington and heading for Tarakohe, she rolled so violently the top 8 feet of the fore mast was snapped off - took the radio aerials with it as well when it went overboard! With bugger-all freeboard when loaded, she was also a 'wet' ship (see photo), plus, with her very short funnel, she was always pumping engine exhaust gases back into the accommodation air conditioning intakes. Can't actually call her a 'vomit comet' as she was too slow! Steered like an absolute pig as well!

Attached are some photos in and around the old girl.

Skilly

8018P-9-Ligar Bay preparing to leave Tarakohe.jpgDEV Ligar Bay in 1960s.jpgLigar Bay at sea_1974.jpgLigar Bay berthed Wgton shortly after delivery.jpgLigar Bay in Wellington - late 60's.jpg

15. Thanks Captain Kong, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes john gamble liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: everards 80s

Jack Wharton.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The Leicesterbrook had a b&w alpha V18 cant remember the hp, could run on heavy or regular .
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3