Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: ellerman papayanni 50s to 60s

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bkelly

Idid quite a few trips in ellermans anderlucian scillian flaminian palmelian arcadian grecian malatian catanian great crowds good grub yes curry and salt fish for breakfast best cook was dick campos on the catanian 6 week trips 4 on 4 off and work your watch below bosun was jim hastie from northwich she was like awhite yacht skipper was capt wittle happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman pappayanni 50's 60's

I remember the 1960 strike we were out for weeks and then it was over.I went to the Pool and I got what I think was the Grecian.She was berthed in the Alex behind the Cold Storage,only a small job a little Market Boat I think, I was highly delighted having landed such a good job.I turned to in the morning worked until after lunch and then went up the road to the Bootle Arms for a few pints.Heading back to do the tea there were pickets on the Alex gate,you can't go in there mate we are on strike,I replied don't you know the strikes over,it's back on again they exclaimed.Back to the ship picked up my grip and that is the nearest I got to that company that for many years I had always wished to get a job with.I think the strike only lasted another couple of days,was I annoyed,you bet.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Lancastrian

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tyndell View Post
    ````hi ``all,
    I was on the Egyptian Aug-Sep 1958, the , Lancastrian May- July 1959 and the Andalusian Feb- April 1960.
    Didnt seem to be able to get away from them on an annual basis. I can still smell those raisins, and varied dry fruit now!!!. If my memory serves me right, did we have a choice of curry for breakfast? Anyway happy days
    Hi Keith
    I was on the Lancastrian during 1958 for 5 trips working in catering and yes we did have curry for breakfast.
    I can't remember the name of the cheif cook but he was a scouser and a decent bloke. We used to put a fried egg on top of our breakfast curry.
    Happy days
    Regards
    Chris Bond

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The strike was on for about three weeks then the Committee decided to stop the strike for two weeks, a lot of guys who really didnt want to strike then got away, I stayed out, I did not believe the two week break would do any good. It didnt so the strike started again and lasted about three more weeks at the end of August. I was off the Pool then until I sneaked aboard the Empress of France on 1st of October 1960 and got a Pier Head jump.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A bit off the thread,but I remember that strikes over!-strikes back on! in 1960.
    My mate got a VNC for walking off his ship at the begining of the dispute, singned on a ship during that brief return to work,only to walk off again during working by Her,2nd VNC,on the trot.
    At the end of the strike,He said to me,"What chance have I got, getting a decent ship now"
    He had not long been married so he said Sod It, and went on the Docks in Birkenhead.
    ttfn.Peter.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Chris...I was on the Lancastrian from 25.5.58 to 6.10.58 and as chief cook I was probably the one who served you curry and egg.Does the name John Lennon ring any bells?. I have photo of the Lancastrian tucked away and I will dig it out for you later.
    When the strike started in 1960 I got a V.N.C. when I walked off the Crosbian in the West Indian Dock London.A bloke called Murphy took the ship away that day after I had walked off.I did not get back to sea in the UK after the strike and went to Australia.I did fourteen years on Ausie ships.
    I was on the Grecian from 19.2.58 to 22.4.58 on the Medi run great tiimes great ships.John Lennon.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman Papayanni

Strikes on Strikes off.That was the dilemma facing the boys on I think the Grecian that I joined.As I said I turned to did the morning ( the strike was over)went for a couple of pints at lunch time in the Bootle Arms comming back into the Alex gate the pickets were there "we are on strike mate you cant go in there"I went back to the ship and picked up my grip to take off,forget the days pay.The lads on there already had a VNC and infact were under articles,whilst they did'nt want to "Scab It"they were also concerned about getting another VNC and loosing their jobs,lucky for me I was'nt involved so what they decided onI dont know.
    Regards.
    jim.B.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Lancastrian

Quote Originally Posted by lennon View Post
    Hi Chris...I was on the Lancastrian from 25.5.58 to 6.10.58 and as chief cook I was probably the one who served you curry and egg.Does the name John Lennon ring any bells?. I have photo of the Lancastrian tucked away and I will dig it out for you later.
    When the strike started in 1960 I got a V.N.C. when I walked off the Crosbian in the West Indian Dock London.A bloke called Murphy took the ship away that day after I had walked off.I did not get back to sea in the UK after the strike and went to Australia.I did fourteen years on Ausie ships.
    I was on the Grecian from 19.2.58 to 22.4.58 on the Medi run great tiimes great ships.John Lennon.
    Hi John. My actual dates on the Lancastrian were from 14th April 1958 to 2nd March 1959. I started as galley boy and got promoted to A/S 13th June so maybe you had something to do with my upgrade if so thanks.
    Your name didn't ring any bells but that happens nowadays with somebody I met yesterday !!
    I will attach a picture to this message, quality is not brilliant but hopefully good enough for you to recognise.
    Let me know if you can recognise yourself.
    Are you living in Australia now ? I have been there several times and always wish I had emigrated there as a ten pound pom.
    Best regards
    Chris Bond
    Last edited by Chris Bond; 15th February 2011 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Lennon, I was chippy on the Crosbian about 1959-60 did one trip down to Med north africa Malta Southern Spain on the way home. 3 of the deck crew and myself ended up in jail in Bengazi for a night We borrowed a horse draw garry and turned it over in the middle of town, has you would expect we were not invited back for a second trip, we were luck not to have had a bad discharge Tony D.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Ellerman Papyani

Hi Guys
    I sailed as 3rd Engineer on the Catanian out of Liverpool on the Portugese run in the early '60's then on the Almerian for one Mediteranian trip. After that it was the Nigerian Nationall Line for three years on the West African coast. Good times, hard work and plenty (too much) of the vino.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast