Thread: Tamega

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tamega

A relative was killed on the Tamega in Pasajes, Spain on the 1st December 1970. I wondered if there was anywhere I could search to find a report of the accident.

2. Thanks Michael Cheyne thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Default 4 kaybee.....

Hello “kaybee”
    Welcome aboard
    To start off,I can only suggest you look into and read all the excellent help given in the forum Research Help -Where to Look: further down the home page screen.

For most types of information about Merchant Navy You will need to know the persons seaman’s Discharge Book number(Known as a Dis.A no.)
    British seamen usually have a number starting with R or UK.
    Remember though,not all personnel working on ships were registered seafarers-for example he might have been a company representative,or shore technical staff either on voyage or working by in port,when he had that tragic accident.
    I can tell you a bit about the Tamega,as I used to regularly see these ships in the Med, and I sailed with someone from Ellerman’s who had sailed on them,when they were operating out to Turkey and Israel In 1973/4 from the U.K.. What you would assume to look at,to be small feeder container ships actually did 12 days out, to the Med. then 7 days in various ports,then 12 days back home.
    The design was called the ‘Hustler’ class .He said quite often they were like submarines in Biscay(I‘m not surprised considering the freeboard),and the accommodation noise and vibration were truly excessive. .There were 9 of them according to records,most being built in Holland,but some in Northern Spain.I’’m not sure of the actual ownership/leasing/chartering arrangements,because just like today ‘s shipping industry,such details are so very complex.However,Ellermans,and Sea Containers(Bermuda) Chartering etc were involved.
    I’m just going to add a list of the 9 ‘Hustlers’ here,as maybe some on site here would like to know more about them…
    .HUSTLER CLASS-1599grt approx.- Container Vessels (9?)
    Built by Vuijk,NLD-unless otherwise stated

1./1970 ENGLAND-ISBRIT(75)-HUSTLER CHEYENNE-ZIM MANILA(third)(81-83)-HARVESTER etc.
    2./1969 MINHO-CITY OF MILAN(74)-ECO MONDEGO-ANA RAQUEL
    3./1972 MONDEGO-CITY OF VENICE(74)-ATLANTIC RESOLUTE-HUSTLER INDUS etc.
    (Blt.by Atlantico,Santander,ESP)
    4./1970 TAGUS -CITY OF LISBON(74)- CAPE HUSTLER-CAPE-DESPO
    (Blt by Cadagua,Bilboa,ESP.)
    5./1970 TAMEGA-CITY OF GENOA(74)-HUSTLER EBRO-BERMUDIANA-MINART-ZIM LEVANT(89-92) etc.
    6./1970 TIBER-CITY OFNAPLES(74)-TIBER-ATLANTIC CLIPPER etc.
    (Blt.by Zaanlandsche,Zaandam.NLD)
    7./1970 TORMES-CITY OF OPORTO(74)-ECO GUADIANA-DINA
    8./1971 TRONTO-Launched as TIGRIS- CITY OF LA SPEZIA(74)-TRONTO-ATLANTIC INTREPID etc.
    9./1970 TUA - CITY OF FLORENCE(74)-HUSTLER FAL-CONFRIGO 1 etc,

Each name shows subsequent name changes and the year. You can see the Ellermans connection,as some of them ended up being called ‘City of …….etc. in 1974.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The TAMEGA then was called that from new in 1970,until 1974.
    You will need her Official Number which for TAMEGA is 339928
    And here is the little ‘beauty’ herself:-
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20Ships/Old%20Ships%20T/slides/Tamega-01.html

And a colour pic after she was renamed City of Genoa in 1974:-
    http://www.photoship.co.uk/JAlbum%20...0Genoa-03.html

If your relative’s body was not shipped home or flown home,then try burial records for the Pasajes cemeteries.?
    The British consul in San Sebastian will probably have records etc.relating to the incident.?

You may get replies from others on here who can assist you more.......
    All I can say is Good Luck in your quest,and keep us informed of your progress……….
    Regards
    Gulliver

Last edited by Gulliver; 2nd October 2010 at 06:45 PM.

4. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Tamega

Gulliver

Thank you for your reply. I do have my relative's discharge number - I obtained copies of his records from the National Archives.
    I also know that when the ship entered Pasajes he apparently fell from the rigging and fractured his skull - possibly as a result of the ship hitting the quayside. His body was flown back to Scotland for burial.
    I will search the Research Forum and see what I can find to help me further.

Kind Regards

Kaybee

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Gulliver Guest

Hi Kaybee
    And I Thank YOU for your reply too.
    Another thing I can suggest is to place a similar appeal on the other large site-SHIPS NOSTALGIA-you can register to post,or search through the Ellerman forums and threads.I think there would be more ex-Ellermans guys there who might remember your relative,or the incident.
    Link here:
    http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/

All the Best

Gulliver

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Tamega

I have just come across this after all these years, I was Second engineer on the Tamega on this unfortunate trip when your relative had this accident while tightening a container lashing.He remained ashore until the ship returned some two weeks later and was brought back to Victoria Deep Water Terminal aboard I can tell you more about it if you contact me, it seems somehow wrong to write it here. From memory he was an unassuming man who kept himself to himself. 07876231822 David

10. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Evan Lewis, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi I missed your call on my mobile and no number was recorded to return your call. My land line number is 01594 834210

Regards David

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

For David Chamberlain if still on site.
    I was on the Tamega , first joining December 12 1970 . We were running from Felixstowe to Pasajes Northern Spain.
    We lashed the containers using long steel lashing bars which were hooked onto bottle screws then tightened by hand and finished using a large stilson. The bars were crossed to form an X.
    To reach the outboard containers we had to stand and balance on the gunnel which could be slippery with ice and snow , very easy to fall inboard onto the hatch coaming or overboard into the dock.

13. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Keith Tindell liked this post