Default Re: Angola during Civil War

Yes that's him. Thankyou for the kind welcome

2. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thankyou for doing this I really appreciate it. I don't know what ships he served on. I have limited information but my Dad has his medals and knows a few bits of information. I just wanted to find out more. Thankyou again ����

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That brilliant and the most we know so I can't Thankyou enough. It sounds like it's him. Thanks again for taking the time to look for me I appreciate it ��

- - - Updated - - -

Brilliant. If you find anything else I would be grateful and will reply as soon as I can ��

6. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No worries Thankyou for trying. That would be great, cheers Em.

8. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I will ask my Dad and will get back to you soon. ����

10. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi

My husband Ron McSorley and I were on the Falaba. First in Luanda then down in Lobito for many months. Maybe someone will remember the boat made out of dunnage the crew launched with our last can of beer. All eyes were on the ?Falaba that day.

Pat McSorley

12. Likes Steve Singleton, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was in various ports in Angola in the late 1960s and early 1970s from its days of Portuguese rule to the days of lots of shooting the last time that I was there we were loading oil in a single point boy about 8 miles offshore . There was a phenomenal display ,tracer bullets going backwards and forwards ashore . We had a couple of US personnel who were off the Shore based tank Farm I asked them who was shooting at Who they basically said it doesn't matter when one side need help Uncle Sam buys oil cheap , and, from the other side Uncle Sam gets Diamonds cheap and all we have to do is let them shoot each other and that means that we buy gasoline in the USA for 50 cents a gallon . I never knew how true that statement was till I was talking to an Expatriate South African who had been out there working for a mercenary force and he said that that was absolutely accurate if it is I think it's a sad reflection on the world
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Patagual....just inland from Coronel, Chile.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Bill,
    Well, was not there during the war but used to visit before and after.... Chalk & Cheese I am sure many would agree.
    Fond memories of Lobito & our favourite dockside tavern: "Freckles Bar" Run by a Portuguese couple.
    Pretty sure it was not really called Freckles, but we called it that for the lady owner!
    A few of us would meander over at lunchtime and those of us that could invariably spend more time (and money) than we should have there in the afternoon.
    It was not a raucous bar at all....more a cafe than a bar in fact. But it was very pleasant and a welcome change to the usual watering holes found in many other WA ports.
    Thanks for bringing back the memories.
    Last edited by Steve Singleton; 11th April 2019 at 05:04 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    Was in various ports in Angola in the late 1960s and early 1970s from its days of Portuguese rule to the days of lots of shooting the last time that I was there we were loading oil in a single point boy about 8 miles offshore . There was a phenomenal display ,tracer bullets going backwards and forwards ashore . We had a couple of US personnel who were off the Shore based tank Farm I asked them who was shooting at Who they basically said it doesn't matter when one side need help Uncle Sam buys oil cheap , and, from the other side Uncle Sam gets Diamonds cheap and all we have to do is let them shoot each other and that means that we buy gasoline in the USA for 50 cents a gallon . I never knew how true that statement was till I was talking to an Expatriate South African who had been out there working for a mercenary force and he said that that was absolutely accurate if it is I think it's a sad reflection on the world
    Rob,
    I was down there a few times but never saw anything like that. However, we (my company) have been supplying materials for Total floaters and an old business acquaintance worked out there for Total, only he had to live in a gated secure compound and he could only travel in a company vehicle with a driver who was armed.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Was in Lobitos once but no civil war. Seemed a strange place for West Africa, the Portuguese put their own stamp of civilization on it. Cheers JS
    Do you remember Freckles' Bar? That wasn't her real name, but she was covered in freckles and had a three-legged dog. Much speculation on what happened to the fourth leg. She used to sell fresh-cooked giant crayfish at lunchtime for the equivalent of ten shillings, with a bottle of vinho verde for about 5s. She sawed the crayfish in half with a tenon saw, as I recall.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Singleton View Post
    Hi Bill,
    Well, was not there during the war but used to visit before and after.... Chalk & Cheese I am sure many would agree.
    Fond memories of Lobito & our favourite dockside tavern: "Freckles Bar" Run by a Portuguese couple.
    Pretty sure it was not really called Freckles, but we called it that for the lady owner!
    A few of us would meander over at lunchtime and those of us that could invariably spend more time (and money) than we should have there in the afternoon.
    It was not a raucous bar at all....more a cafe than a bar in fact. But it was very pleasant and a welcome change to the usual watering holes found in many other WA ports.
    Thanks for bringing back the memories.
    I just posted about Freckles! I used to go lunchtimes for the fresh giant crayfish.
    Last edited by Jim Blythe; 15th March 2020 at 12:59 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast