Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Elders & Fyffes during war time

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Elders & Fyffes during war time

Thank you Marian. I see he was a Lieutenant (Temporary) and not a Lt Com - dont know the origin of that info I must have misunderstood my mother - I have a lovely photo of him in full uniform with his sword but only one stripe, of interwoven chain which meant that he was RNR. I did not know how far he went up the ranks. it looks like he only achieved Lieutenant - still he served his country well. I have a great photo of him in his Chief Engineers Uniform at my Mum and Dads Wedding.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

2. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    gray_marian Guest

Chris your grandpa was only 16yrs on that particular document, just at the start of his career...Anyone who served in wartime has my eternal gratitude

4. Thanks Chris Allman, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh, Dennis McGuckin liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well he did make Lieutenant Commander Engineering RNR just found THIS on page 7 of Elders & Fyffes Roll of Honour 1939 to 1945 - 5th down the list Goodwin A. G. my Mum was right after all.

Well that's made my day - thank you very much Hugh and Marian for all your help and thank you to all who have contributed the information re the ships on the thread.

Chris
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 11th February 2017 at 08:32 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

6. Thanks Hugh thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anyone who gets a commission in the RN especially from the lower deck I raise my hat to them. I went through all the processes in 1951 and different ways of entering the RN. It was pointed out to me in no uncertain terms that a Dartmouth cadetship was well out of the question as depended more or less on your academic background and also your family background, your knowledge of at least one foreign language and being able to play one musical instrument. I also applied for entry as a boy seaman at 15 and was acceptable, however my old man would not sign his permission. I have sailed with various people of commissioned rank on them leaving the RN and generally found them out of touch with MN ways of working. The one I had the most respect for was a Portsmouth man who rose from stoker to Lieutenant and stayed at that rank until his discharge from the RN. He appeared as Ch.Engineer on the ship I was mate on, on his cert. of service he was entitled to. I don't particular know of his engineering knowledge but he was a good companion ashore. His wife had a hat shop in Portsmouth, and she used to say to him, Gerry when you were an ordinary matelot you were a gentleman, now you are an officer you are a pig. Characters like him have all disappeared now and the world is worse off for their going. He also sailed in submarines during the war, and knew Lt.Commander Kerrans of the Amethyst do in China. He also reckoned those Naval Attaches who were appointed to various embassies were put there as somewhere to put out of the way. His big hate however was Jaunties ( Naval Police). He was a real character and good shipmate. For those living in the Portsmouth area and may of known him his name was Gerry Fuchter. Cheers JS PS it was his claim to fame that he was the oldest commissioned Lieutenant in the Royal Navy. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th February 2017 at 03:11 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    His big hate however was Jaunties ( Naval Police)
    Not only him - I have forgotten how many times I ended up in the back of the wagon having been removed from a run ashore.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    We had to pay for our freedom
    Then the Merchant Ship Sailors
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Hugh
    many thanks for your reply yes that's my uncle. Ironically that same year as Tetela being torpedoed, his father,my grandfather was lost He was Chief Engineer on the SS Homeside a 4000 gt steam ship loaded with 7000 ton of iron ore due for the Tees. she was part of convoy Hg 51 or SLS 62? steaming from Pepel, Freetown. On the 28th January an SOS was received stating that she was taking water into No1 hold and the crew were taking to the boats and as nothing more was heard from her she was presumed lost Her position was 43,52N 18.40 W which i think was just north of the Azores?? in a storm?? with iron ore?
    Last edited by Russ Lowdon; 13th February 2017 at 04:38 PM.

10. Thanks Dennis McGuckin, cappy, N/A thanked for this post
    Likes Hugh liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Russ,

I have sent you an email re your uncle and one will follow shortly with 3 cards for your grandfather including photo.

One of mine from last year - uboat.net - Re: SS Homeside mystery

Regards
    Hugh
    Last edited by Hugh; 13th February 2017 at 07:27 PM.
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

12. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh View Post
    Also shown is the ship which looks like SALSBURY in October 1945 but is shown as not registered so this ship may have had a name change.
    Re my #7 The ship was the German SALZBURG see below.

Empire Mole was a 4,876 GRT cargo ship which was built by Deutsche Werft, Hamburg. Completed in 1939 as Panther for Laeisz Line. Towed to Copenhagen for completion by Burmeister & Wain. Completed in 1941, requisitioned by the Kriegsmarine, converted to an auxiliary cruiser and renamed Salzburg. Seized in May 1945 in the Kiel Canal, to MoWT and renamed Empire Mole. Sold in 1947 to Elders & Fyffes Ltd and renamed Reventazon. Sold in 1963 to Jade Co Inc, Panama and renamed Kimolos. Sold in 1972 to G J Krargeorgis Shipping Ltd, Greece and renamed Vassilia K. Scrapped in December 1973 at Kaohsiung, Taiwan.

Regards
    Hugh
    "If Blood was the price
    Paid it in full”

www.sscityofcairo.co.uk

14. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2