Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Elder Fyfes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default banana boats elders & fyffes

Hi I was on the Camito of elders & fyffes about 1959 and they still let you have a stalk of bananas to take home which I duly did but never again as they were so heavy to carry, had a sore shoulder for a couple of days after. We also went to Kingston, Bowden & Port Antonio where Errol Flynn had his island. Like you we had plenty of rum, Appleton Estate, morgans, three daggers etc., what a nice life we had then. One trip we picked up the princess royal, princess Alice, from Bowden who arrived by a train which almost looked like a tube train but I suppose it was Jamaicas best. Cheers shipmate.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default M.V Zent

Stuart, re the banana spiders, I recall on the Zent a scream from the 2nd stewards cabin when he woke up with a very large (about half the size of a hand of skins) spider sitting on his chest weighing him up. Another memory was of the Spanish agent on board in Fernanda Po splitting the local hatch gangs up to the hatches by running through them with fists and boot flying. Never hear much of Tiko and Fernanda Po these day's. Wasn't it great when we had shipping companies, ships and jobs in the U.K. Garston Docks belonged to Fyffes and part of the local economy. I also remember a crew member who signed on in his carpet slippers and we paid off in Southampton, train ride home in his slippers !
    What we do have is great memories of people and ships.
    Mike

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default e&f

did two trips on the Changinola late 1960, both to west africa, and worked ashore in the kitchen as spud barber for a while.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: last trip on the S.S Patia

Quote Originally Posted by Louis the Amigo View Post
    Hello shipmates any one on the last voyage ???? 1972 , sold to fiat cars' payed off Itlay Naples? Party every night great bunch ,from all over. any one here?
    Did last trip Pacuare 1972. Laid up & de stored in River Fal at Falmouth. Sad days. Loved that ship. Did three on her. Never sailed on other three.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4