Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Elder Fyfes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cool elders & fyffes re George Heague.

I remember a Chief Freezer on my very first St By asJ/E on the MATINA in Avonmouth, He entered the Eng`s Mess Room, introduced himself " Hello, I`am the Fabulous Alan Heague" I thought thats the way to do it! Are you AKA George? Regards John Richards.

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default The Cavina

Hi Stuart. I wrote a poem about the Cavina that you can find on the nautical poetry section called 'The Linthouse Twins'. It might bring back a few memories..

I sailed on the Bayano, Cavina to the West Indies and Tetela down the west coast of Africa to Tico. I have never stopped drinking 'Myers' Rum to this day.

Reg Kear AB R527835

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up

Hey Reg do they serve that down at the Frankston RSL? See you Wednesday
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Mornington Peninsula, Victoria, Australia.
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I'm not sure if they have Myers 'Planter's Punch' Neil - but Pete told me the RSL tea tastes like E&F 1953 soup de jour.

Reg

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile Cavina

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Kear View Post
    Hi Stuart. I wrote a poem about the Cavina that you can find on the nautical poetry section called 'The Linthouse Twins'. It might bring back a few memories..

I sailed on the Bayano, Cavina to the West Indies and Tetela down the west coast of Africa to Tico. I have never stopped drinking 'Myers' Rum to this day.

Reg Kear AB R527835
    Hi Reg,
    Thanks for entry,will check out the poem after this. It seems such a long time ago now but all my memories of my thirty years at sea are remembered with great affection. The rum I remember from the Jamaica days that I liked the best was Appletons Estate. Did you ever try that one ? In my years Ive swopped affection for what I drink and tried EVERYTHING I guess. Spill it now my wife tells me but did reach 8 0 this March so guess thats understandable/////
    Cheers mate
    Stuart Henderson R396040
    ex Cavina/ Vindicatrix 1947
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Reg Kear View Post

Reg Kear AB R527835
    Niice to you on the board Reg,I could do with about three fingers of Nelsons Blood right now,of course I would let you have a sniff of it.

JohnR

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Changuinola

Hi
    i sailed on the chanuinola on the tico run love to hear from anyone from 1962

regards john

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day John and welcome to the site. Do you have any other ships you sailed on and maybe some dates to go with them? If so and you care to post them on site there is a good chance you may get to hear from some who knew you. So sit back with a cold one and enjoy the voyage.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Banana Boats

Stuart do you recall, the M.V Nicoya she carried a few bloods, thought I would like a run to the West Indies, but finished up back to West Africa, transferred to the M.V Zent a WW11 war prize ex German Sub supply ship ( torpedo lifting gear still in the engine room work shop) and again back to Tiko and Ferando Po, but the banana's were great. Taking hold temperatures every watch was fun dodging the spiders etc. Gilbert Harding & Nancy Spain travelled on the Nicoya, and drank with the engineers after their watch was over. Harding asked the Skipper if he could join the Chief Eng for dinner his reason being he considered the Captain being able talk for an hour and say nothing ! Had no trouble distributing the hands of bananas to one and all either.
    Mike T

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Elder Fyfes

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Tiernan View Post
    Stuart do you recall, the M.V Nicoya she carried a few bloods, thought I would like a run to the West Indies, but finished up back to West Africa, transferred to the M.V Zent a WW11 war prize ex German Sub supply ship ( torpedo lifting gear still in the engine room work shop) and again back to Tiko and Ferando Po, but the banana's were great. Taking hold temperatures every watch was fun dodging the spiders etc. Gilbert Harding & Nancy Spain travelled on the Nicoya, and drank with the engineers after their watch was over. Harding asked the Skipper if he could join the Chief Eng for dinner his reason being he considered the Captain being able talk for an hour and say nothing ! Had no trouble distributing the hands of bananas to one and all either.
    Mike T
    Hi Mike,
    No sorrry I dont recall the Nicoya BUT certainly remember the spiders . Its funny lots of people didnt believe me when I talked about banana spiders, To this day I still cut off both ends of a banana because was told way back then that the spiders laid their eggs in end part of a banana. Still dont know if its true or not but better safe than sorry......
    Cheers buddy
    Stuart
    R396040

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast