Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Chicanoa

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Talking Chicanoa

I sailed on the CHICANOA ,5 TRIPS FROM/ 3 /12/ 63 TILL THE 19/ 7/ 64 ,MESSMAN /STEWARD ,MANY A GOOD RUN ASHORE ALL OVER THE ISLANDS ALSO TIKO IN THE CAMMEROONS , NEVER DID GET ON A : T/BOAT..ALSO SAILED ON THE ;CHIRRIPO AND THE ;CHANGUINOLA GREAT SHIPS ,AND CREW ALL WERE EASY TO GET ON WITH MY LAST TWO TRIPS DEEP SEA WAS ON THE ;CHICANOA; OCT; 65 TO DEC; 65 ,,GOT MARRIED

2. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I did 3 trips on the chirripo ,bedroom stwd and the bar at night , got pretty drunk each night with the buy backs , had to give it up as the strike was on the last time I got home to the pool

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default phil crawley R716769

Hi Benny, I was in the Chicanoa 10/10/63 - 28/12/63, three trips, looking at my book and your dates you must have joined her in Greenock, so I was in her for one trip with you I was engineers steward, I can only remember Joe Mannix from Garston was the cook for a trip or two, the baker was a big guy with an Irish name and "Button nose" Stan Cashen was the Chief Steward, all the other faces have been lost in the mists of time, was it really 48 years ago.
    Phil Crawley.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Benny,Phill.
    I was on the Chicanoa twice.1st time Jan,-Feb,1959. 2nd time,26/3/64.---19/7/64.

So I just miss you Phill,but I must have sailed with you Benny,accoreding to the dates in my Dis,Ch,Book. My 2nd time on Her,we were homeward,from Tiko to Garston when the Mate(Jan Stewert a Dutchman) told us that we had been charted by an Italian Company,so the next few months we were running Tiko--Genoa.When the charter ended we went Genoa--Kingston-Port Antonio--Garston.19.7.64.
    Benny,I was AB as was my 2 mates from Birkenhead.We had some Fun times ashore. I remember a big guy in the catering(2nd Steward?) he said he was ex-Royal Marine.
    ttfn.Peter.
    A Nation of Sheep will Beget A Government of Wolves. ( R625016 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter, Benny, the second steward I remember was a guy called RA. Dicker, thats all I ever called him he came from Edinburgh, and he was ex sas, marines or something like that, whatever he was ex he wasn't a steward!!!, I rembember an AB from Latchford going to kill me on docking night full of lan-lec (spelling??) wine that was confiscated in Greenock and given back in Garston, the bakers name was John Dooligan, if I think about the Chicanoa long enough all the names and faces will float up.
    Phil Crawley.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi,Pete,, Nev, Phil;
    I do remember two A/Bs rolling on the deck one was a short stocky blonde guy, I remember stan, well now the name is mentioned,I just cannot put a face to your name Phil but Iam sure I remember you. Your right peter about Tiko,Genoa ,if I remember the Yankee fleet was in Genoa at the same time,it is coming back ,yes he was a d.head, Lanlic ,clear wine that was why our brains go blank at times ,
    BENNY/MESSMAN

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Benny,
    I've been thinking of them Genoa trips on the Chicanoa. Do you remember one nght ashore there,they use to lock all the Dock gates at 10pm except the main gate(A Hell of walk back to the ship) A crowd of us was heading back to the ship (Full of Vino)and my mate spotted a Big Fork-Lift Truck with the keys still in it,so he shouted TAXI and we all scrambled on and over it. We all got off at the gangway and he went to park-up but miscalulated the height of the Fork tower and the shed awning.It was one Hell of a crash. That same night He (the driver) had a punch-up with the 2nd Cook
    ttfn.Peter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Phill,
    Tell me, whats a Scouse Lad doing over in the Swamp Country?
    ttfn. Peter.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Peter, we came over here for the house prices, 12 years ago North Lincolnshire was the cheapest in the country, and my wife had relatives over here, it was a make or break thing, had to get away as I was going to the alehouse 3 times a day and I was in a love affair with Peter Smirnoff, kicked that into touch and we were doing OK then breast cancer took her so it's just me and the dog now, I still go back now and then as I have a son and grand children in Liverpool, it can be a bit depressing as the old mates like Snowy and Foran are a bit thin on the ground these days, by the way I first met Snowy in the Chicanoa he was a casual in the shore gang a few years before he was the shore bosun and as you say he was always selling something, or going down the gangway with boxes of stores that he said were for Fyffes canteen ????
    Phil.
    Last edited by Phil Crawley; 31st March 2011 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Chicanoa

Does anyone remember a rather "green" Junior Engineer by the name of Walter (Wally) Osborne in Chicanoa in the late 1950s or very early 1960s? He is my father and I want to surprise him on his 80the birthday with some memories. Marie Osborne

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast