Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SS Andria

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You're right Alf. During the 1980s and early 1990s, the Surrey Docks were redeveloped, and renamed Surrey Quays. New homes were built, ranging from individual detached housing to large apartment complexes. South Dock was converted into a marina and a watersports centre was constructed on Greenland Dock. Canada Water and the infilled Russia Dock became wildlife reserves, with a woodland planted on the latter site. Leisure facilities and a number of light industrial plants were also built, notably a new printing works for Associated Newspapers, the publisher of the London Evening Standard and the Daily Mail.

In October 1988, the Surrey Quays shopping centre was opened as the centrepiece of the redevelopment of the area. The London Underground station was renamed as Surrey Quays a few months later.
    Last edited by Mike Newell; 15th January 2010 at 12:49 PM.
    [SIGPIC]R704799[SIGPIC]

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Andria

Hello Mike,it is highly probable I missed your message re SS Andria or I did see it , replied and forgot that I had.Anyway here we are and a belated New Year greeting to you.My sojourn aboard this fine vessel was my first and second trips to sea,from May to Sept 1955. I was then shanghied by the pool onto a rusty old tramp, the cultural shock at the time was enormous.One of the lads on this fine site sent me photos of the Andria and the Alsatia however I dont recall who it was.
    All the best to you mate Neil "Mort" Morton.
    R 627168 On all the Seas of all the World
    There passes to and fro
    Where the Ghostly Iceberg Travels
    Or the spicy trade winds blow
    A gaudy piece of bunting,a royal ruddy rag
    The blossom of the Ocean Lanes
    Great Britains Merchant Flag

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Neil

Yes, I did send you a PM regarding the Andria a couple of months ago, but didnt receive your reply. I thought as I was new to the site that I had not correctly sent the mail. As you have seen on the Cunard Forum, I have made a study of the Andria, and as stated, it was my first ship, hence the great interest. Its a great shame that she was lost under such tragic circumstances, allbeit that when she was lost it was owned by another company and renamed" Union Faith".

Its good to hook up with you Neil, take care, and thanks for the reply.

Clive W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default s.s.andria

Hello Clive,
    I joined the Andria straight from leaving HMS Worcester training ship. It was also the first day of captaincy for Bill Warwick who went on to become the first captain of QE2. Our regular run was London-LeHavre-NY-Baltimore(via delaware canal)-Newport news and home. Lovely ship and for a cadet I had a fabulous cabin!
    My next ship was the Assyria(canadian run) Regards Derek

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Derek

Many thanks for the reply and the information. I have sent you a PM.

Regards

Clive W.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi all,

I just found this website while researching for a book I am writing called Shipwrecks of the Cunard Line. The Andria is one of the ships covered in the book. I have a special interest in the Andria since my grandfather William 'Bil' Warwick was one of the ships former captains. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any annecdotes about my grandather's time on the ship. I heard the captain's cabin was actually in the forward (false) funnel?

regards,
    Sam
    QE2 Home Page

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Warwick View Post
    Hi all,

I just found this website while researching for a book I am writing called Shipwrecks of the Cunard Line. The Andria is one of the ships covered in the book. I have a special interest in the Andria since my grandfather William 'Bil' Warwick was one of the ships former captains. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has any annecdotes about my grandather's time on the ship. I heard the captain's cabin was actually in the forward (false) funnel?

regards,
    Sam
    QE2 Home Page
    Hello Sam
    I was just checking out this theme again as I saw your new entry. I posted a couple on here some time ago having sailed on Alsatia which was Andrias sister ship. I was with Cunard from 1957 to 1972 on their smaller ships. In those days 50-60s I lived in Middlesex and very close to Virginia Waters where the Warwick family lived and met up with the two brothers who had folled their father to sea and ended up Commodore of Cunard , His son followed in his footsteps and recently retired also. I wrote congratulating him and mentioning those parties of fifty years ago. Got a very nice letter in return and autographed picture of his last ship QM2.
    You are right about Captains cabin on Andria /Alsatia it was in forward funnel. Lovely ships.Are you a relative ?
    Stuart H
    France
    R396040

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Henderson View Post
    Hello Sam
    I was just checking out this theme again as I saw your new entry. I posted a couple on here some time ago having sailed on Alsatia which was Andrias sister ship. I was with Cunard from 1957 to 1972 on their smaller ships. In those days 50-60s I lived in Middlesex and very close to Virginia Waters where the Warwick family lived and met up with the two brothers who had folled their father to sea and ended up Commodore of Cunard , His son followed in his footsteps and recently retired also. I wrote congratulating him and mentioning those parties of fifty years ago. Got a very nice letter in return and autographed picture of his last ship QM2.
    You are right about Captains cabin on Andria /Alsatia it was in forward funnel. Lovely ships.Are you a relative ?
    Stuart H
    France
    Hi Stuart,
    Yes, Bil Warwick was my grandfather, his son Ronald Warwick (also to command QE2, and later QM2) is my father. More info can be found at my websites QE2 Home Page and QM2 Home Page.
    I knew Virginia Water very well, and have fond memories staying there with my grandparents as a child.
    Sam

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You can clearly see the Cunard/White Star House flags aloft, which we flew with pride until the end of the19 50s. Note the "Dummy" funnel which gave her a sophisticated look. A truly graceful ship.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Sam,
    I met you a couple of times. On QM2s Maiden Voyage and maybe at Liverpool University when your Father recieved his Law degree, I know your Father quite well and his charming wife, Kim.
    I always enjoyed their company.
    I have sailed with him several times on QE2 and QM2 and attended his Tribute Dinner on board the old Queen Mary in Long Beach 2006. I later met and shared a meal with most of the family including your two Uncles and a drink with Uncle Eldon, a lovely character and good fun to be with.
    Also we had a couple of days on a small cruise boat on the Gloucester / Sharpness Canal at the Vindicatrix Reunion.
    He had a great career.
    Cheers
    Brian.
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 26th August 2011 at 04:08 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast