Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Man overboard

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Man overboard

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    That sounds about par for the course George, everyone shouting person overboard to Be politically correct, then standing back duty done. Then all standing back and putting their views and what should have happened at the. Enquiry, when the body was recovered later by someone totally away from the vessel and occurrence. Safety has been observed however apart from the minor deficiency of not dropping a likebuoy or smoke float. Will have to do a course on how to do that after learning to shout person overboard. Cheers JWS
    I mentioned before our visit to the GreenPeace ship here in Long Beach. Now I had some prejudices on what I was expecting and was pleasantly surprised by most.

One thing that was odd to me, I also noticed it in the news back home, were the name tags. Some had just their name. Others had their name and 'specifics' eg John. Him/He/His.

I could go further and be REALLY unPC but I'm sure you all know the point I'm making.

SDG

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This was the subject of family discussion recently, about the disposal of my mothers ashes; I suggested scattering in sea at low tide line at Tynemouth,However, according to my brother who is assistant registrar at Durham crematorium, we need to have council permission, ffs! How would they know? Tony Taylor,

We put mothers ashes on the beach on Walney Island where she was born, just made a hollow in the sand emptied the box and dropped her crucifix in , covered her up and said the Burial at sea service over her,
    It was what she wanted. No problem
    Scattering them you don't know where they end up. in peoples eyes , kids may be around etc.

4. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went to a neighbours wake a couple of years ago. In the gardens of an hotel under awnings in the garden. The widow scattered his ashes on the rose bushes and we all raised our glasss to him. No problem. My brother took my mothers ashes to Scotland to scatter as was her wishes. He asked for permission and had to go through a lot of paperwork and pay for the privilege. For those workaholics in life the best place for their ashes is in an egg timer. JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 14th August 2018 at 09:48 AM.

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

On a Shell tanker in 1954 we scattered the ashes of a C.engineer, it blew back and he stuck on a bulkhead the Sailors had just painted.

another one was blown up in the air with the wind and down the galley sky light and into a kit full of soup, we didn't know until we had it at lunch time, It was a bit crunchy

8. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Taylor View Post
    This was the subject of family discussion recently, about the disposal of my mothers ashes; I suggested scattering in sea at low tide line at Tynemouth,However, according to my brother who is assistant registrar at Durham crematorium, we need to have council permission, ffs! How would they know?
    There was a time when having ashes scattered here on the bay In Melbourne was carried out from the back of a Tug.
    Then the 'Greens' had it stopped saying such would polute the bay.
    So now ashes are scattered from yachts, small fishing boats etc and no one is any the wiser.
    Go scatter them at low tide and I doubt any one will notice.

My ashes when the time comes will be scattered from a beach that we regularly use, done early morning or late at night and no one will know.
    It is an ocean beach well out of town but in summer packed every day.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 15th August 2018 at 06:23 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If anyone Cremates me I will haunt them to their graves.
    I would not like to be burned like a piece of garbage..
    Most of my family have been cremated mostly when I was away at sea so I do not know where they are to place flowers on their birthdays and anniversaries.
    There is no record of them here on earth that they ever existed
    My brother died 12 months ago next week, I do not know what his wife has done with his ashes , she will not tell us. he has just vanished.
    If he had a grave I could visit.
    In my local church yard there graves for ashes with the grave stones on, the ashes are buried in a casket,at least you know where they are and can visit and there is no pollution with dust flying around or on sand or fields where kids play.

I will have a burial in a proper grave with a big stone. and my details on it, then family of future generations people will know that I have been here.
    In the local cemetery there is a grave with six generations of my family, from great great grandad born in 1777 to my mothers sister, Aunty Doris, who died four years ago. So when doing the family tree it was easy just to go to the cemetery and look on the seven foot tall grave stone, dates of birth and dates of death are all there. A family history.
    But to be thrown on some waste ground somewhere, it is as if you never existed and no one cares about you,

What a nice subject before breakfast.
    Refuse to go , they cannot take you, it has worked so far.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 15th August 2018 at 08:04 AM.

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5